• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was cutting up some pines of a property next door that have been laying on the ground for YEARS. Figured it for trash before I ever started. It just looked punky but I cut the end off that an man it was ALL heart wood except for the out side INCH! I cut that sucker up in to 12' long 6"x6" posts and STILL got a couple wagon loads of fire wood out of the slabs.

I hope the rest all turn out like that.

1699639282558.png

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Trying out a different way to use pallets. Tomorrow I'll put corrugated roof panels on the new one. I have far less $$$ in it than the original one behind the OG. Not nearly as sturdy but I think it may do the trick for a season or two. I've found good pallets for sale for as little as $4 each. Free pallets are just hit or miss. Six pallets, 2x4s, 3x3s cut down to 6" sections to make the foundation, and the roof panel and voila! covered firewood rack.

20231111_140946.jpg

The (overengineered) original firewood rack
    Shed 12-2019c.jpg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So some of you saw I got my first wood stove……… holy crap is it hot.

We went from keeping the house 60-65 to save on Nipsco now the furnace doesn’t run (have it set to 55 as a safety) the other day it was 83 in the house midday lol and the room with the stove was unbearable.

I have a fan in the basement blowing the cool air up (tri level) and I have the furnace fan running but I’m gonna need to figure out a better way to move some air. Or I will have the windows open in December more than April.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here

We went from keeping the house 60-65 to save on Nipsco now the furnace doesn’t run (have it set to 55 as a safety) the other day it was 83 in the house midday lol and the room with the stove was unbearable.

I have a fan in the basement blowing the cool air up (tri level) and I have the furnace fan running but I’m gonna need to figure out a better way to move some air. Or I will have the windows open in December more than April.
    You will get the hang of it. Adjusting the damper and closing off the air intake until the fire burning at the rate you need. It just takes some time messing with it.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    You will get the hang of it. Adjusting the damper and closing off the air intake until the fire burning at the rate you need. It just takes some time messing with it.
    My stove only has one adjustment, the fresh air going into the box. No other adjustments.

Im sure it will be a learning process especially since I have mixed hardwoods I know they all burn at different temps or I have been told.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The weather has been perfect for cutting down here, but it’s deer season. Trying to stay out of the woods, for the neighbors.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)

I know others have already said it, but you really will get the hang of it after messing around with it. If it really is too hot you can always burn 12" cut wood instead of 16" or dial back how much you keep in there once you've got a good bed of coals.

We found this to be helpful, it sits on to of our wood burner and when the temp gets up to a certain level it starts to spin. It's been nice to have to help move the warm air around: Stove Fan Link

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    ef3d9e13e7d1d102015c7a5c40774fb5.jpg

Getting a year ahead with some ash, cherry, and oak.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Newbie question….. how often do you clean out the ash? I really enjoy laying a log on the hot coals and not worrrying about starting the fire… but makes it difficult to clean the ash out

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    Newbie question….. how often do you clean out the ash? I really enjoy laying a log on the hot coals and not worrrying about starting the fire… but makes it difficult to clean the ash out
    sometimes it depends on what you are burning, a lot of times I will clean out the right side one time and the left side a day later, yes i am lazy and having a bed of hot coals makes life a whole lot easier

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Neighbor came down and offered me a lot of seasoned Pin oak and hickory.. to me it’s a gold mine 3/4 of a mile away from my house. Sharing some with family and a buddy that just had knee replacement
    First cut I found a fence post that had grown in the tree.. it says Stihl on the side of the saw but it sure didn’t get thru that fence post BDBD182C-7893-4492-993D-A7B390C23CF3.jpeg BF26C7EC-F840-49CB-904D-E44819AA6569.jpeg 06B7F54A-E615-4E9F-BF62-C0454D3CC915.jpeg

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    Neighbor came down and offered me a lot of seasoned Pin oak and hickory.. to me it’s a gold mine 3/4 of a mile away from my house. Sharing some with family and a buddy that just had knee replacement
    First cut I found a fence post that had grown in the tree.. it says Stihl on the side of the saw but it sure didn’t get thru that fence post View attachment 317368 View attachment 317369 View attachment 317370
    I hate when that happens, I found concrete in one once that they had patched a hole in it with and then it grew over it

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom