indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    UPDATE:

We will be taking orders for firewood that is not seasoned, for those INGO members that have a need for next heating season and a place to store it. We will run out of room well before what we cut this winter will be ready to burn. Message me for details.

Edit: This is probably not for the followers of this thread, so I will advertise in the classifieds. But if you know someone or have family that would be interested....

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    0b86dbe341a42309dd7631af0b4355f5.jpg

Does anyone use hedge apples to keep the bugs and spiders out of their wood piles?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Can you share some details on your setup? We looked at adding a wood stove but decided against it, for the time being.
    What kind of details? PM me if you want I don’t know much though just starting this adventure. Had it installed this spring.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spend Saturday afternoon splitting some huge rounds my tree service guy dropped off last year.

Sunday I went back to the woods and drug out a couple goldilocks sizes dead falls with the JD 2020. Normally, I'd drag them all the way home, but the guy who farms for us chisel plowed on Saturday. I decided to drag them to the lane that leads to the woods where I could load them up on my trailer.

I don't like to handle wood more than I have to, so I got the brilliant idea to cut them in 8 foot lengths and man handle them into the trailer. The first three went pretty good. Stood them up on end and tipped into trailer. They slid easily on the metal floor. After that, it was rough. I should have given up and cut them all in half but I'm stubborn. In the end I had to cut the last few down to 4 feet to get them loaded.

I wasn't even paying attention to my four wheeler. I didn't notice until I got home that I might have exceeded the maximum recommended tongue weight. :D She still pulled it down the road at 30mph with no problem.

3kzOptyl.jpg

00qEIrnl.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Firewood splitting in Texas.

We had big storms in June, which got me a new hood on my truck, and new roof on the house. It also dropped lots of trees up in the woods.

Got it all cut up a couple weeks ago, and most of it down to the barn where I can split it.

Was running the splitter Sunday afternoon, making good progress, when all of a sudden, I had ants everywhere! This particular round had apparently millions of ants in it. No big deal, it was beer thirty anyway. I shut the fuel off, and walked away.

Fast forward to today. My tractor and my log splitter have been sitting out since Sunday. Supposed to rain , need to put the toys away. Walked over, realized I didn’t have gloves, “oh, you’ll be fine.” I had to move the logs to get the splitter out.

I’m covered in ant bites and stings as I type this. Welcome to Texas!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Firewood splitting in Texas.

We had big storms in June, which got me a new hood on my truck, and new roof on the house. It also dropped lots of trees up in the woods.

Got it all cut up a couple weeks ago, and most of it down to the barn where I can split it.

Was running the splitter Sunday afternoon, making good progress, when all of a sudden, I had ants everywhere! This particular round had apparently millions of ants in it. No big deal, it was beer thirty anyway. I shut the fuel off, and walked away.

Fast forward to today. My tractor and my log splitter have been sitting out since Sunday. Supposed to rain , need to put the toys away. Walked over, realized I didn’t have gloves, “oh, you’ll be fine.” I had to move the logs to get the splitter out.

I’m covered in ant bites and stings as I type this. Welcome to Texas!

Back when we were looking at retirement the gardener suggested moving further south. I told her that as much as she likes to garden fire ants would discourage her.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Back when we were looking at retirement the gardener suggested moving further south. I told her that as much as she likes to garden fire ants would discourage her.
    They are a constant battle,

With wood you can usually see the mound of dirt around it, and I’ll just leave it be. They got me tonight!

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    had some chickens that loved it when I would find a nest of carpenter ants and leave the split logs in the yard for them to eat the eggs and ants

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom