Finally we have a LEGAL directive on how to deal with armed citizens.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    A traffic stop is not a detention...

Cite?

The Good Faith Belief Act, Indiana Code Section 34-28-5-3, provides:
    Whenever a law enforcement officer believes in good faith that a person has committed an infraction or ordinance violation, the law enforcement officer may detain that person for a time sufficient to:
    (1) inform the person of the allegation;
    (2) obtain the person’s:
    (A) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (B) driver’s license, if in the person’s possession; and
    (3) allow the person to execute a notice to appear.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I dunno, I've only been stopped once (and it was a legitimate stop, I was in the wrong), and when the LEO asked to see my driver's license, I handed him my DL AND my LTCH. He asked where my firearm was, told 'em in a shoulder rig under my right arm. He just requested that I leave it there. About 2 minutes later, he thanked me for informing him, cautioned me to watch the speed limit signs, handed me back my documents and I was on my way.

In just shy of 40 years carrying, I've never been arrested, curb-stomped, harassed, detained, stopped, condemned, berated, ridiculed, questioned, inquired, commented upon, or even 'looked at askance' because I was carrying a firearm, either CC or OC, before, during, or after my gun-toting career. Anywhere. In any State.

But hey, maybe I've 'just been lucky' for four decades? :dunno: :lmfao:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Very nice to hear! Wish the South Bend police would follow these same guidelines but I don't see that happening with their new big city police chief. Thanks for posting Denny.

Edit: I've carried on and off for almost 20 years. The few interactions I've had with police (when driving) have never been bad and never had my gun confiscated.
    Strange as it sounds, while doing uniformed armed security over 15 years ago I was asked to see my LTCH by a South Bend police officer. And this was when I was talking to several other SB police officer. He seemed glum that I had a license.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I dunno, I've only been stopped once (and it was a legitimate stop, I was in the wrong), and when the LEO asked to see my driver's license, I handed him my DL AND my LTCH. He asked where my firearm was, told 'em in a shoulder rig under my right arm. He just requested that I leave it there. About 2 minutes later, he thanked me for informing him, cautioned me to watch the speed limit signs, handed me back my documents and I was on my way.

In just shy of 40 years carrying, I've never been arrested, curb-stomped, harassed, detained, stopped, condemned, berated, ridiculed, questioned, inquired, commented upon, or even 'looked at askance' because I was carrying a firearm, either CC or OC, before, during, or after my gun-toting career. Anywhere. In any State.

Haven't been carrying long, but within the last year, I had my first traffic stop while carrying. Pretty much identical - Going a little too fast, handed him my DL and LTCH together. He asked if I was armed and where it was. When I answered
    "in my back pocket" he asked me to leave it there. Drove away with a warning after the LEO said he is a big 2A supporter.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

Nah, blame the people who have been harassed by police for carrying a firearm, not the police who violated state code to do it.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...He seemed glum that I had a license.
    Well, we all know there are 'jerks' in EVERY profession, not just law enforcement. Worked with a few of 'em when I was there. They weren't much better liked by the other Officers than they were by the civilians.

Haven't been carrying long, but within the last year, I had my first traffic stop while carrying. Pretty much identical - Going a little too fast, handed him my DL and LTCH together. He asked if I was armed and where it was. When I answered
    "in my back pocket" he asked me to leave it there. Drove away with a warning after the LEO said he is a big 2A supporter.
    There ya go, LAN, a truly positive experience. Yeah, there's some (to quote Gunny) 'jack wagons' wearing badges out there. But to be sure, they're a miniscule minority.

Nah, blame the people who have been harassed by police for carrying a firearm, not the police who violated state code to do it.
    There's a percentage of folks out there that just seem determined to bring problems down on themselves. When they choose that option, they blame the consequences on others. We call that, "failure to accept personal responsibility".

There's another percentage (perhaps overlapping) that choose to be confrontational at every instance, even when such confrontation is unnecessary and/or avoidable. We call that, "stupidity".

Choose wisely. :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for sharing. So this applies to "all employees". Does this mean that call centers will ask on MWAG calls if the carrier is doing anything suspicious/dangerous?

Holy crap, would that be fantastic. I *always* asked, "what's he doing with the gun" and they *always* said they'd have to do a callback. Its a waste of resources. As already stated, they are not IMPD employees, though, and are ability to affect any change is limited.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    There's a percentage of folks out there that just seem determined to bring problems down on themselves. When they choose that option, they blame the consequences on others. We call that, "failure to accept personal responsibility".

There's another percentage (perhaps overlapping) that choose to be confrontational at every instance, even when such confrontation is unnecessary and/or avoidable. We call that, "stupidity".

Choose wisely. :)

Sadly, there's little recourse when police officers are determined to bring problems on themselves by harassing citizens. They blame the consequences on the citizen who stands up for his rights. They reject personal responsibility.

And yeah, it's stupid for an officer to be confrontational, especially when the confrontation is unnecessary and avoidable. I think that the new legal directive from the IMPD will cut down on that sort of thing happening in Indianapolis.

I sure wish it had been followed in St Joseph County.

Top Bottom