Finally we have a LEGAL directive on how to deal with armed citizens.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Yes that's the one that talks about the seizur of a firearm. It has nothing to do with stop a OCer to ask to see LTCH. Again I just want to make sure people that don't live in Indy this does not apply to them.

But we are on our way to Constitutional Carry:yesway: We all just need to press our state legislators hard. INGO can be a very powerful lobbying group if everyone tries.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    I wish we could remove their ability to try and make up law on the spot, and make the OCer uncomfortable in the process.

LEO OC opinions should remain off-duty.

It doesn't have anything to do with LEO opinion. Carrying a handgun in Indiana concealed or open without a LTCH is illegal. The officer can still approach and ask, when seeing someone carrying, no matter what IMPD policy is.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It doesn't have anything to do with LEO opinion. Carrying a handgun in Indiana concealed or open without a LTCH is illegal. The officer can still approach and ask, when seeing someone carrying, no matter what IMPD policy is.

Unfortunately, after flashing the pink, the conversation doesn't always end.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    An LEO still has the ability to stop and ask an open carrier for the LTCH.

Voluntary stop

I wish we could remove their ability to try and make up law on the spot, and make the OCer uncomfortable in the process.

LEO OC opinions should remain off-duty.

Unfortunately, after flashing the pink, the conversation doesn't always end.

I agree, you are correct there.

Like I said, I was mistaken. Maybe you can point that out again.

I guess I'm confused. I fully understand the laws in IN and requiring a LTCH, but the letter posted in OP never states that this is IMPD policy, but rather, legally (absent PC) OC in and of itself is not a reason to stop. When I read this I was actually standing next to an IMPD officer and I told him I was surprised by what I was reading. Obviously, I thought LEO could just stop and ask for pink since OC'ing alone was PC, but the letter states otherwise. And as Frank said it would have to be a voluntary stop, meaning I could just keep walking. I probably wouldn't do that, but according to the letter I can. The letter is pretty clear this is the law not a dept policy.

Top Bottom