Finally we have a LEGAL directive on how to deal with armed citizens.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Just remember it only applies to IMPD, not other Indiana or Marion County agencies

This is what I'm not getting and have asked 3 times now... Where does the OP letter say these laws only pertain to IMPD? The letter sounds like a legal standpoint. How can other agencies "policy" circumvent legality?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is what I'm not getting and have asked 3 times now... Where does the OP letter say these laws only pertain to IMPD? The letter sounds like a legal standpoint. How can other agencies "policy" circumvent legality?
    I think what they are trying to say, it's not LEGALLY binding to anyone outside of our department. While I agree with you, without clear case law, many departments will carry-on as usual.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I think what they are trying to say, it's not LEGALLY binding to anyone outside of our department. While I agree with you, without clear case law, many departments will carry-on as usual.

Unfortunately, with clear case law many officers will carry on as usual. It is what it is I suppose. I just read it to be pretty explanatory from a legal standpoint. I'd think it hard for even another department to argue their policy against the contents of that letter.

thanks for the response though.

Honestly, I think post #113 explains the reasoning the best so far :)

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Unfortunately, with clear case law many officers will carry on as usual. It is what it is I suppose. I just read it to be pretty explanatory from a legal standpoint. I'd think it hard for even another department to argue their policy against the contents of that letter.

It is far more likely another department has no formal policy, rather then a policy counter to IMPD's.

Top Bottom