Finally we have a LEGAL directive on how to deal with armed citizens.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The cynic in me wants to make snark about "Okay, well, let's see if the police actually follow it". The optimist in me having a house party, inviting everyone, including the super-ego. The kid in me wants to blow his brains out with Dad's .44 after finding out what a loser I am.

(Goofiness aside, this is excellent news, particularly on the directive about field stripping and disarming. Nothing is more dangerous than someone, not just a cop, that doesn't know what they are doing with a firearm).

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    A large, and needed, step forward, IMO. Could it, perhaps, use a 'tweak'? I suppose, but that's the nature of law, as new ideas, concepts, and questions arise.

But the part regarding the simple act of carrying a firearm on one's person does not, in itself, presume illegality is a huge step forward, and much needed.

Even as it is, without 'tweaking', it should be immediately adapted by every law enforcement agency, in Indiana at the minimum. SHOULD be nation-wide, but good luck with that with our current Moron In Chief.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I think it is well written and easy to understand. Which really is how ALL legal documents should be written.
    Thanks for posting it Denny.

HAHAHAHAHAHA ... you think we pee-ons are supposed to understand the law? hahahaha

OK well that was bad humor ... I keep my day job.

Thanks Denny. May want to share - outside INGO ... will wait for the OK to do so.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Thanks for sharing. There seems to be a growing momentum among police departments to deal correctly with legally armed citizens. That is very refreshing news.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    With the possession of a firearm not being probable cause, and questions being voluntary, does this mean that we will no longer get beat up for refusing to answer the ubiquitous question; "License and registration, are there any knives guns or other weapons in the car?"

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    With the possession of a firearm not being probable cause, and questions being voluntary, does this mean that we will no longer get beat up for refusing to answer the ubiquitous question; "License and registration, are there any knives guns or other weapons in the car?"

You have been physically beaten for refusing to answer that question?

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I am perhaps absurdly excited about this. Is it really as good of news as it sounds? This went out to IMPD? Do these things usually carry weight/are they effective?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks for sharing Denny. I thought this part was interesting (as we've cussed and discussed the issue several times here).

"There is NO Indiana statutory authority that permits an officer to stop an individual carrying a handgun solely for the purpose of verifying the existence of a valid handgun license."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    You have been physically beaten for refusing to answer that question?

Yes..........

To be fair that was more than twenty years ago and the Indy police is under new management nowadays. You may not have considered it an ACTUAL beating, I don't remember being struck with a fist. I DO remember getting dragged out of my drivers side window, being thrown into the gutter with a knee on my neck and my teeth in the gravel. What happened after I blacked out I am not sure. I woke up in the back of a squad car with about 8 officers berating me and telling me how lucky I was that they hadn't shot me. It all was over in about two hours after the information was received that the guy they were mad at was in custody.

Frank, how long have you been on the police force? Do you remember the McAtee administration? Officers could actually do ANYTHING back then.......... Good Times!

Edit- Oh! I forgot...... What is the answer to my question? Are you allowed to ask me about weapons and firearms? Is refusal to answer that question still asking for a curb-stomping? I just wanted to know.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yes..........

To be fair that was more than twenty years ago and the Indy police is under new management nowadays. You may not have considered it an ACTUAL beating, I don't remember being struck with a fist. I DO remember getting dragged out of my drivers side window, being thrown into the gutter with a knee on my neck and my teeth in the gravel. What happened after I blacked out I am not sure. I woke up in the back of a squad car with about 8 officers berating me and telling me how lucky I was that they hadn't shot me. It all was over in about two hours after the information was received that the guy they were mad at was in custody.

Frank, how long have you been on the police force? Do you remember the McAtee administration? Officers could actually do ANYTHING back then.......... Good Times!

Edit- Oh! I forgot...... What is the answer to my question? Are you allowed to ask me about weapons and firearms? Is refusal to answer that question still asking for a curb-stomping? I just wanted to know.
    I don't ask...that's just me. However, I do recall an Indiana Supreme Court ruling some years ago that stated that I needed rs to ask that. I have not familiarized myself with that sine I don't ask unless I have a reason.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Nice for the most part!

What would constitute this? The one time I've informed an officer I was carrying during a traffic stop, he took the gun (well, one of them) because he "believed he should be the only one with a gun" during a traffic stop. (his words). Would that be considered a reasonable belief?

A traffic stop is not a detention...

Top Bottom