• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This movie looks pretty good. The corporate-serving government squelches local farmers, leaving consumers left with only an option of buying from industrial factory-farms. The USDA, FDA, and other regulatory agencies regularly raid farms in the name of "safety."

Close your eyes and imagine a no-knock, guns-drawn raid on a Natural Food store to confiscate organic yogurt. Now open your eyes and realize that its happening in America, Land of the Free [sic].

Food Fascism is what this system is called. When raw milk is outlawed, only outlaws will have raw milk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH_my56FkuQ

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The guy in green at 1:49 is the same guy on "Food Inc" who was talking about his dairy. VERY interesting. I will have to check this movie out. There are is a lot of great reading on the subject as well. It is no mystery why we Americans are leading the world in morbid obesity. The food industry along with the FDA push the very products that are killing us. Thankfully, we have more choices now than we did just 5 or 10 years ago and with more and more people pushing for it, it will only get better. however, the BILLION dollar industry will not go without an ugly fight.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To go a bit further, I was speaking with a local farmer recently who was lamenting the cost of seed, specifically for corn. He opened my eyes to the legal monopoly of Monsanto and how they are screwing over the farmer with the backing of the US government.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Rambone,
    Thanks for posting the trailer to this. I have not heard of the movie before so I need to do some research on it. I recognize some of the people in this such as Sally Fallon from Weston A. Price Foundation, Joel Salatin from Polyface Farm, and Jordan Rubin from Garden of Life. Plus, the right to raw milk is something I believe strongly in. For me, it is similar to the fight to preserve the 2nd Amendment yet not as well known.

futureofwar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bunker Hill
    You wanna talk about our food ? You know they put SPLENDA ( the sweetner that was developed to be a insectacide) in Pislbury Toaster Strudles? Then they market them on tv to kids and say your kids will love them. Sick sick world we livin in

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Regarding obestiy:

Did you know that our food pyramid, Recommended Dialy allowance, blah blah blah, were all concocted in order to make people heaveier?

Well why would we want to do that?

Because people in the '30s were malnurished and were not making good soldiers. So, the Federal Government decided we needed to "fatten 'em up" so they'd make better soliders.

Enter school lunches, dietary recommendations heavy on carbs, high calorie diets, fructose, and a plethora of other idiotic ideas, all in the name of National Security.

My poor wife believes that everything taught to her in school is correct. She freaked out when I told her the food pyramid was basically upside down if you want to actually lose weight.

She's starting to see the results and believe me though.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Regarding obestiy:

Did you know that our food pyramid, Recommended Dialy allowance, blah blah blah, were all concocted in order to make people heaveier?

Because people in the '30s were malnurished and were not making good soldiers. So, the Federal Government decided we needed to "fatten 'em up" so they'd make better soliders.

Enter school lunches, dietary recommendations heavy on carbs, high calorie diets, fructose, and a plethora of other idiotic ideas, all in the name of National Security.

My poor wife believes that everything taught to her in school is correct. She freaked out when I told her the food pyramid was basically upside down if you want to actually lose weight.

Luckily Michelle Obama stepped in and changed that nasty pyramid into the "plate" that we have now. One guy at work talked about it for an entire day and how pissed off he was that she went and threw away the pyramid!

Michelle_Obama_USDA_My_Plate_009ed-291x200.jpg

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

I would like to know more. All the sources I found said that the "Food Pyramid" was first printed in the 1970s.

Yeah it really is pretty silly when you think about it. Eleven servings of carbs per day will make you look like Jabba the Hutt.

pmap1.gif

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Sounds like you guys would enjoy the movie Fathead.

Fat Head - Blog site for the comedy-documentary Fat Head

It starts out debunking the "documentary" Super Size Me, but goes into exactly what you guys are talking about. The subsidy game vs. the what pops up on the food pyramid. Heh, we feed grains to animals to fatten them up as much as possible to make deliciously marbled meat.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I just finished this book. What an eye opener. Invalid science and fear is driving our current nutrition recommendations and are the very problems that they are trying to prevent.
    WhyWeGetFat.jpg

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I would like to know more. All the sources I found said that the "Food Pyramid" was first printed in the 1970s.

Yeah it really is pretty silly when you think about it. Eleven servings of carbs per day will make you look like Jabba the Hutt.

pmap1.gif

Food pyramid is an extension of the initial "fatten up americans" plan that was adopted in the '40s.

They said it was to curb heart disease, but come on, can anyone really believe that? Like you said, that many carbs (15 servings including fruit) will make you a big fat fatty in no time.

Combine that with the fact that most of those carbs are probably combined with high doses of Fructose, and you've got a walking talking heart attack epidemic on your hands.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    "School meal programs began during the Great Depression of the 1930's. From the outset, they had two purposes: to help dispose of surplus agricultural commodities owned by the government as a result of price-support agreement with farmers , and to help prevent nutritional deficiencies among low-income schoolchildren. Because chronic disease risk factors were not an issue at that time, the rules specified meals that used surplus commodities and were higher in fat, saturated fat, sugar, and salt---and lower in fiber---than recommended in later years."
    --Marion Nestle, Food Politics (Berkeley, University of California Press, 2002)

Started by FDR, finished up by his lap-dog Truman in '47 with the official school lunch program.

Nice little MSNBC article.

School lunches called a national security threat - Health - Diet and nutrition - msnbc.com

Another article regarding the advancement of government sponsored obesity.

http://www.educationbug.org/a/the-history-of-the-school-lunch-program.html

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

pmap1.gif

Everything in context, Rambone, everything in context. It says 6-11, and the range is created based on activity levels and prevailing personal health situation. Clearly the inactive don't need 11 servings, but somebody burning 2000 calories a day might. (And let's not forget that not all bread/grains/carbs are created equal.)

A better way at looking at our diet is the diabetic approach. Lots of fruits are carbs in hiding, particularly the ones people are more likely to eat, so people are really getting more carbs than they need, and they wonder why they are still having health/weight issues. Hell, milk is a carb for diabetics. And I don't think anybody would consider milk a carb (unless they're aware of the -tose involved.

I have to say, I find the food naturalists every bit as nazi-ish when it comes down to telling people what's better for them. You eat what you want and when you live longer you can laugh at my grave. Otherwise, go away. What do you care if my ready-to-bake chocolate chip cookies have HFCS?

sinisterright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have to say, I find the food naturalists every bit as nazi-ish when it comes down to telling people what's better for them. You eat what you want and when you live longer you can laugh at my grave. Otherwise, go away. What do you care if my ready-to-bake chocolate chip cookies have HFCS?

I did see the video of the aged hippy naturalists in full tie-dyed swat gear entering a house with weapons drawn and later leading out the pillsbury dough boy in hand cuffs. Wait... I must have dreamt that one. :)
    While I support your right to put into your body whatever you see fit, I don't support the gov't deciding what I and my children can put in ours. Schools should not be telling us we can't pack a lunch for our kids and decide for ourselves what they eat. They want to pack em full of sugar and then ballance it out with mind altering drugs.
    I like videos like this. It's a healthy dose of wake up America.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I did see the video of the aged hippy naturalists in full tie died swat gear entering a house with weapons drawn and later leading out the pillsbury dough boy in hand cuffs. Wait... I must have dreamt that one. :)
    While I support your right to put into your body whatever you see fit, I don't support the gov't deciding what I and my children can put in ours. Schools should not be telling us we can't pack a lunch for our kids and decide for ourselves what they eat. They want to pack em full of sugar and then ballance it out with mind altering drugs.
    I like videos like this. It's a healthy dose of wake up America.

Neither do I, but many of the food naturalists are lefties who would think nothing of requiring the government to mandate organic this or ban that. I was told by one of them that as soon as the government required all food to be organic the price of organic would go down because everybody would be buying it (which would hardly be true). She had zero compunction about imposing $7/gallon milk prices (it's $6.83 for a gallon of Horizons organic milk at walmart) on everybody because SHE thought it was a better option.

My point is that while it looks benign enough to have a bunch of natural food buffs bemoaning the interference of the government when said interference attempts to block something they support, but they wouldn't bat an eye at government interference that mandated something they support. They are not motivated by freedom is all I'm saying. It sounds like it, but when the tables are turned, I guarantee most of them would line up to wear the tie-dyed SWAT gear.

Top Bottom