• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have to say, I find the food naturalists every bit as nazi-ish when it comes down to telling people what's better for them.

The difference is the naturalists aren't sending masked men with machine guns to steal from you and kill you if you don't eat the way they think you should.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The difference is the naturalists aren't sending masked men with machine guns to steal from you and kill you if you don't eat the way they think you should.

Yet. Don't for a minute think that they wouldn't support such action against the Keebler Elves for nothing more than the heinous crime of using enriched bleach flour if they had their way.

They are not opposed to this kind of police behavior, only this kind of police behavior against their interests. They are no friend of freedom.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Everything in context, Rambone, everything in context. It says 6-11, and the range is created based on activity levels and prevailing personal health situation. Clearly the inactive don't need 11 servings, but somebody burning 2000 calories a day might. (And let's not forget that not all bread/grains/carbs are created equal.)
    For myself, I have found that if I even eat the low end of their spectrum I will gain weight. For reference, I work out 4-5 times per week and have a large athletic build. Unless I'm just extremely abnormal :dunno:, I can't eat pasta and bread every day without it showing. Just my experience.

I have to say, I find the food naturalists every bit as nazi-ish when it comes down to telling people what's better for them. You eat what you want and when you live longer you can laugh at my grave. Otherwise, go away. What do you care if my ready-to-bake chocolate chip cookies have HFCS?

I don't think everyone who speaks out about HFCS wants more regulation or more government control. Talking down bad products is a very free-market thing to do.

They are not motivated by freedom is all I'm saying. It sounds like it, but when the tables are turned, I guarantee most of them would line up to wear the tie-dyed SWAT gear.

Hopefully you can think of at least one who doesn't fit that profile! :):

Yet. Don't for a minute think that they wouldn't support such action against the Keebler Elves for nothing more than the heinous crime of using enriched bleach flour if they had their way.

They are not opposed to this kind of police behavior, only this kind of police behavior against their interests. They are no friend of freedom.

There are fascists in all walks of life. As you know, there are even "righties" who justify strapping on SWAT gear to force people to live their way. For proof, just start a thread about forced medication, forced military draft, forcing kids to recite the pledge, forced drug testing, banning flag desecration, etc. You can find folks who would ban things they don't like and mandate things they do like -- everywhere you go, and for every different reason.

But in my experience reading natural news sites, fascism is not the majority. You'd be surprised at how many of them would abolish the FDA. It doesn't take much research to realize that government hurts more than it helps.

I wouldn't even consider natural-living to be a "leftie" movement. When did being healthy turn into a political opinion? Just like it would be a bit unfair to group all right-wingers as fat, unhealthy sloths who drink soda and eat processed food. People stop eating like crap because they realize that they were slowly killing themselves with their bad habits.

sinisterright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My point is that while it looks benign enough to have a bunch of natural food buffs bemoaning the interference of the government when said interference attempts to block something they support, but they wouldn't bat an eye at government interference that mandated something they support. They are not motivated by freedom is all I'm saying. It sounds like it, but when the tables are turned, I guarantee most of them would line up to wear the tie-dyed SWAT gear.

You and I are in agreement. I misunderstood your post.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    For myself, I have found that if I even eat the low end of their spectrum I will gain weight. For reference, I work out 4-5 times per week and have a large athletic build. Unless I'm just extremely abnormal :dunno:, I can't eat pasta and bread every day without it showing. Just my experience.

I can't speak to your normalcy, but my hubby can pack away the carbs and not gain a pound. And he doesn't work out regularly (unless you count family man/fatherly duties as working out, but even if, it doesn't reach the intensity level of a sustained exercise workout). If I so much as look at a slice of bread, I have to run a mile to work off the calories. Different metabolisms, different results.

I don't think everyone who speaks out about HFCS wants more regulation or more government control. Talking down bad products is a very free-market thing to do.
    I didn't say that. But with one notable exception ;), I've not met/encountered one person opposed to them that didn't want the government to jump in and control it somehow, mostly by banning it.

Hopefully you can think of at least one who doesn't fit that profile! :):

See above. :):

There are fascists in all walks of life. As you know, there are even "righties" who justify strapping on SWAT gear to force people to live their way. For proof, just start a thread about forced medication, forced military draft, forcing kids to recite the pledge, forced drug testing, banning flag desecration, etc. You can find folks who would ban things they don't like and mandate things they do like -- everywhere you go, and for every different reason.

INGO is a constant reminder of that truth. ;)

But in my experience reading natural news sites, fascism is not the majority. You'd be surprised at how many of them would abolish the FDA. It doesn't take much research to realize that government hurts more than it helps.

I disagree. I've had to "unlike" many a natural news sources on FB and unsubscribe from e-newsletters because it wasn't about promoting the dissemination of information but about using that information to further a personal agenda, which usually translated into something the government "should be doing."

I wouldn't even consider natural-living to be a "leftie" movement. When did being healthy turn into a political opinion? Just like it would be a bit unfair to group all right-wingers as fat, unhealthy sloths who drink soda and eat processed food. People stop eating like crap because they realize that they were slowly killing themselves with their bad habits.

If I stop eating red meat, processed foods, and HFCS because I want to be healthier for myself, that's one thing. But if I go around telling everybody else they should do the same because I know better than they what the best choice for them is, that's something else entirely. It's not the choice to pursue a healthy lifestyle that I have issues with, but the idea that doing so somehow conveys some superiority and right to tell others to do the same (or to force them under the guise of government regulation) that makes it a leftist thing.

They are prone to leftist ideology to begin with. It's not the choice to be healthy that makes them fascist in their passion. They were already there.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    in defense, HFCS is not an inherently bad product. It's the amount of which found in the average American diet which is detrimental.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    in defense, HFCS is not an inherently bad product. It's the amount of which found in the average American diet which is detrimental.

I've said the same things many a time.

Nobody wants to consider the fact that people who have diets high in HFCS usually eat poorly in other areas as well: more processed rather than natural foods, empty calorie vs. nutrient dense. I would bet big bucks that if you replaced HFCS with a more "acceptable" form of sugar, every last individual with health problems attributed to their HFCS diet will still have the same damn health problems. Too much sugar is bad, regardless of the form it takes.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    So very true. Unless one is a child, one is responsible for their own diet, caloric intake, and the form in which those calories take. Yes, it's true healthy food is expensive, but I would posit there are far more areas where one can cut their budget in order to eat a healthier diet. But then of course they may not be able to keep up with the Joneses.

If anyone is a fan of Penn & Teller's show BS, they did an episode on fast food, HFCS, and the hysteria surrounding all of it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So very true. Unless one is a child, one is responsible for their own diet, caloric intake, and the form in which those calories take. Yes, it's true healthy food is expensive, but I would posit there are far more areas where one can cut their budget in order to eat a healthier diet. But then of course they may not be able to keep up with the Joneses.

If anyone is a fan of Penn & Teller's show BS, they did an episode on fast food, HFCS, and the hysteria surrounding all of it.

Not sure I buy the "healthy food is expensive" argument any more though. $4.00 or more for a bag of chips or $0.89 for a baked potato????? or even home-made baked french fries (hell, deep-fry 'em once in a while for all I care!).

My grocery budget is always lower when I keep my purchases to the perimeter of the store as opposed to the pre-packaged or pre-processed items. But my time is worth something and with two kids with Picky Palate Syndrome and a husband that is rarely home for dinner during the week, it just doesn't pay to concoct a glorious home-cooked meal.

One of these days I'll be able to enjoy cooking a healthy wholesome meal for the family. It just ain't right now.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I mean in the sense of purchasing food for personal preparation at home, versus "dining out" on a diet heavy in fast food and other high calorie prepackaged calorie heavy food.

Myself, I do the most of my protein shopping at warehouse type stores like Sam's club. I can spend approximately $400 dollars and have proteins for seriously like 3 months. I process them myself, package them myself, date them, and use them accordingly. My trips to the supermarket are limited to purchasing fresh produce and/or bread/grains weekly. So for $400 (sometimes less) and the cost of my Sunday afternoon I have healthy food for my family (of which my son who also has picky palate syndrome is a member) for 1/4 of the year.

Some people are able to make a dollar stretch further than others I guess.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

I was a fan at first, but got tired of them categorizing every topic by the craziest representative that they could find. I think it was the "Alternative Medicine" episode that turned me off. They said all chiropractors are quacks and just made fun of gullible people who talked to their spoof doctor set up at a mall kiosk.

I cringe to think at how they are defending HFCS.

I disagree. I've had to "unlike" many a natural news sources on FB and unsubscribe from e-newsletters because it wasn't about promoting the dissemination of information but about using that information to further a personal agenda, which usually translated into something the government "should be doing."

NaturalNews.com :rockwoot:

Last edited:

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I reiterate: HFCS in and of itself is not a bad or toxic product. It's the QUANTITY of HFCS which one consumes that represents a danger. For crying out loud, drinking enough water in one sitting can kill you. And yes, that has happened.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Thank God that our bodies aren't made up of 80% fructose. :):

Cancer cells slurp up fructose, US study finds | Reuters

Cancer cells "slurp up" all manner of sugars. It has to do with the way in which they process fuel. Cancer cells process fuels by means of glycolosis, which operates much faster than the ordinary means by which ordinary cells consume glucose. This is why terminal cancer patients look the way they do. Even if they had the capacity to eat, which most don't, they simply would never be able to consume enough calories to "feed" the tumors successfully. Ordinary cells perform glycolytic glucose reactions as well, but not at the same speed, nor it is their primary means of cellular respiration, as it is with malignant cancer cells.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    another thing to consider... the original food pyramid narrows in accordance with the rationing during WW2. Meat and dairy were less restricted than butter and sugar, fruits and veggies less than meat and dairy and bread less than everything.

I for one am an advocate of natural foods as much as is practical. if I had the means, I would be willing to pay as much as 25% more for the organic food. It has nothing to do with my politics or hippie nature; it has everything to do with the 4 months I spent in the EU where everything is organic, and I was so much healthier while I was there. Organic McDonalds even - I kid you not. 4 months without HFCS, MSG, Aspartame and all those other chemicals that taste nasty and ruin your body.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom