• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I was reading through a post on another forum about a guy responding to help a friend after a tornado. He mentioned lots of water/gas leaks and suggested adding a gas/water shutoff tool. He also mentioned cell phone reception being spotty.

With all the storm damage in the past few weeks, it got me wondering what other items might be helpful. I have a small Maxpedition pack set up to sustain a chainsaw. It has first-aid, tools, gloves, ear/eye pro, and some other items. Having some food, water, batteries, and a headlamp would also be helpful. I’m not a ham operator, so maybe a few two-way radios might be good.

What other suggestions do you have for a realistic storm damage response set-up?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Gas shut off can usually be handled with normal hand tools. May not be 100% effective should the valve be hard to get to or damaged somehow. Or corroded badly - all of which can happen.

Water shut off valves can also be handled with normal hand tools - maybe. I've done it with an adjustable wrench. It for sure wasn't ideal but it worked. May also be quite hard to find the pit... then getting into the pit... Then finding the valve in the pit... Would be easy enough just to hunt for the house shut off and using hand tools there, right?

Maybe we're talking past one another. :-)

But a few cheap wrenches / vice grips in an assistance bag could come in quite handy.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I’ve taught folks for years in emergency management that gas can be shut off easily with a crescent wrench. Water shutoff is harder due to the pentnut on the meter cover. If I had to pick just one tool to handle both it would probably be a good set of channel-locks.

I’ve actually been toying with the idea of creating and/or been in search of the perfect light urban search and rescue tool for just such a purpose.

As for radios, it’s always good to have a good set of quality radios and spare batteries. I’d say the easiest entry level yet durable radios would be Samcom GMRS radios, although I don’t have any hands-on experience with them. I’ve heard good things about them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Pioneer tools are always handy. In my jeep wrangler which has minimal storage compared to most vehicles out there, I've got a 26" axe, folding bow saw, and an E-tool (trifold shovel). Between those three things I've fixed a lot of problems. It's not perfect, but it's so much better than having nothing. I would also recommend a good tow strap for dragging limbs off of the road. The tow strap has been used a handful of times, but I'd also keep some cheapo 100' length of 3/8 paracord in there in case you have to do something a little sketchy and don't want to ruin a tow strap or because the tow strap is too short.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    It would be good to know in what capacity you are responding. (Neighbor, friend, official, etc).

Another aspect that would be good to know is where you are going to keep all of this stuff. Car, truck, shed or a combination?

Finally what is your skill set? Suggesting a field surgical kit is pointless unless you can use it.

I’m not trying to be difficult here just trying to offer useful suggestions. If you really want to see everyday emergency response stuff. Go look at the farm service truck most farmers have.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It would be good to know in what capacity you are responding. (Neighbor, friend, official, etc).

Another aspect that would be good to know is where you are going to keep all of this stuff. Car, truck, shed or a combination?

Finally what is your skill set? Suggesting a field surgical kit is pointless unless you can use it.

I’m not trying to be difficult here just trying to offer useful suggestions. If you really want to see everyday emergency response stuff. Go look at the farm service truck most farmers have.
    Response would be as a friend/neighbor. The couple rounds of storms in the past month or so knocked some trees down nearby and friends needed help. Storage location would be in a garage so I can throw it in my truck and go. As far as skills, nothing real technical. I’m just thinking of a friend calling me up because trees or wind has caused damage. What could I keep handy to grab at a moment’s notice? Chainsaw, tarps, water, snacks, the tow rope mentioned by teddy, etc.. As I mentioned, shutoff tools were mentioned but I didn’t know how likely one would be to need them.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Part of the training they gave us in CERT was to turn off gas. Hell they even gave us a wrench to do it.
    I've got a better one if the need arises. I think its made byGerber. Id have to check my bag in the garage. Its also a hatchet. U.S. military issue.

With the recent tornadoes that ripped through here, gas leaks were deffinately an issue.

I'd also highly recommend a good bump helmet for your kit. And if you don't want to pony up afew hundred or more for one, check antique stores. You can usually find an old fire helmet or search and rescue helmet, sometimes with a face shield, for very cheap. Better one of those taking a hit from a support beam or limb while searching than your noggin. Put a good light on it

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    tarps, water, snacks
    I kinda giggled reading this because those three things are already and always in my vehicle bag, but I forgot to mention it earlier. Tarps are just a handy thing to have around if they're a good one. For me, I am a "aqua quest" fanboy. The aqua quest defender series is a super tough tarp with lots of tie off points. I keep one of those in 7'x9' in my jeep because sometimes I've popped the top off at the wrong time. I also have an aqua quest guide tarp that's a 10'x10' that I keep as an outdoors emergency shelter. The guide tarps are much lighter weight with fewer, but more than adequate tie offs. I've used my 10x10 as a shelter before for me and a buddy with all our gear and had some room to spare. For an overnight as an individual the 10x10 has all the room a guy could want.

Keep in mind though, as great as tarps are they need some decent stakes and rope to keep them where you want them. I've tried so many tent stakes I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I only use MSR groundhogs now. The small size is fine for backpacking, but if you really need to lock something in the regular sized ground hogs are my favorite. For rope I use either 550 cord, 275 cord, or #36 bankline.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also for GMRS, I found the Baofeng legit GMRS is one of the few that is honest about their transmitters (UV5G) . They run the full 5 watts and have a decent receiver. All the blister pack radios speak in vague pie in the sky distances that really mean nothing. (and without a removable antenna you cant test their actual output power)

And it supports the AA battery pack adapters that the ham radios use, so you can keep feeding it if you have no power or generator and can only scavenge AA batteries from what is left of civilization.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Food and Water

Nothing worse than working in a potentially dangerous, high stress situation and getting dehydrated or low on energy. It can be as simple as a handful of energy bars that can give you that added boost to keep you thinking clearly. Safe water may not be handy so take a couple jugs with you and have a container for drinking. Perhaps a bottle of Coke with a screw on cap.

If you don't need the snack/water hand it to someone who does, even if it is just a moral booster.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Part of the training they gave us in CERT was to turn off gas. Hell they even gave us a wrench to do it.
    I've got a better one if the need arises. I think its made byGerber. Id have to check my bag in the garage. Its also a hatchet. U.S. military issue.

With the recent tornadoes that ripped through here, gas leaks were deffinately an issue.

I'd also highly recommend a good bump helmet for your kit. And if you don't want to pony up afew hundred or more for one, check antique stores. You can usually find an old fire helmet or search and rescue helmet, sometimes with a face shield, for very cheap. Better one of those taking a hit from a support beam or limb while searching than your noggin. Put a good light on it
    The helmet is an excellent idea. A limb to the head will ruin your night.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Response would be as a friend/neighbor. The couple rounds of storms in the past month or so knocked some trees down nearby and friends needed help. Storage location would be in a garage so I can throw it in my truck and go. As far as skills, nothing real technical. I’m just thinking of a friend calling me up because trees or wind has caused damage. What could I keep handy to grab at a moment’s notice? Chainsaw, tarps, water, snacks, the tow rope mentioned by teddy, etc.. As I mentioned, shutoff tools were mentioned but I didn’t know how likely one would be to need them.
    Sounds like you need a large tarp, good battery powered chainsaw, axe, bungee straps and a log chain. Keep them in the shed but always keep beer and jerky in the truck.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I’ve taught folks for years in emergency management that gas can be shut off easily with a crescent wrench. Water shutoff is harder due to the pentnut on the meter cover. If I had to pick just one tool to handle both it would probably be a good set of channel-locks.

I’ve actually been toying with the idea of creating and/or been in search of the perfect light urban search and rescue tool for just such a purpose.

As for radios, it’s always good to have a good set of quality radios and spare batteries. I’d say the easiest entry level yet durable radios would be Samcom GMRS radios, although I don’t have any hands-on experience with them. I’ve heard good things about them.
    It's been a minute, but if I remember correctly a 12 point 21mm socket with a little tap will than fit over and turn the pentnut / 5 point on the meter cover bolt . An adjustable will turn off gas or water valves

Top Bottom