• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    So, I emailed my Senacritter. I just received my reply.

If I am reading this correctly, he supports the proposed brace rule as "This proposed rule would only affect stabilizing braces that are used to shoulder a weapon, not stabilizing braces used by individuals with disabilities."

Apparently Mr. Braun did not read the proposed rule as the standards set within did not differentiate who the gun was owned or used by. Unless someone can find otherwise, by reading it myself, and by everything I have found, it seems to me the rules would apply to everyone (including "individuals with disabilities") but the gubmint.

Full response with highlighted offending section below.....

July 13, 2021

Dear Mr. WordDoer,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) proposed rule on Criteria for Firearms with Attached “Stabilizing Braces.” I appreciate hearing from you on this important topic.

Allow me to start by saying, I will oppose any efforts to restrict the rights of law-abiding gun owners and will protect their ability to defend themselves and their families in life-threatening situations during my tenure in the Senate. As an avid hunter and member of the National Rifle Association of America, I stand in full support of the 2nd Amendment.

On June 7, 2021, Attorney General Merrick Garland signed ATF proposed rule 2021R-08. This proposed rule seeks to change the definition of “rifle” to encompass any weapon with a rifled barrel and equipped with a stabilizing brace that allows a weapon to be fired from the shoulder. This proposed rule would also make it clear to the public, standards the ATF uses in analyzing firearms that are submitted using a stabilizing brace. This proposed rule would only affect stabilizing braces that are used to shoulder a weapon, not stabilizing braces used by individuals with disabilities.

Currently, the ATF is accepting comments regarding the rule until September 8, 2021. Further details on how to submit comments can be found here.

You will be interested to know that I sent a letter to the former Attorney General William Barr and Acting Director of the ATF Regina Lombardo regarding non-public standards in its regulation of ArmaLite Rifle (AR) styled pistols and pistol stabilizing braces. Initially, in 2012, the ATF issued guidance which welcomed the use of pistol arm braces and stated that pistol-affixed arm braces did not constitute the making of a Short Barreled Rifle. This guidance, as of 2020, became less clear through private letter sent to gun manufacturers.

Additionally, on May 27, 2021, I introduced S. 1920, the ATF Accountability Act of 2021, which seeks to create an appeals process following a ruling by the ATF with specific regular timeframes. This legislation permits gun manufacturers to appeal the legal status of any product by filing with the Director of Industry Operations with jurisdiction.

Thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as your U.S. Senator from Indiana. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook for real-time updates on my activities in the U.S. Senate. If I ever may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

oCgIBvPder4RRI8-bn8rqyFrIOqQeAf_d_YT44nlefrl4pxtYYRjlWI_erV-1FzcdaaSSkIMIp-a_mxcuotsYJZA2afWPXPkDxBIDofGJFZ_pZNVmqTObkxOFN4RTM_ZQeU=s0-d-e1-ft

Mike Braun
    U.S. Senator

P.S. This message was sent by email to save taxpayer dollars.

Last edited:

jolly rancher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Got off my two comment letters to the ATF.
    One for ATF 2021R-5 (80% frames) and one for ATF 2021R-8 (Braces). This is kind of like voting, may not do any good but at least I tried. If you don’t want your name and address available for viewing online do what I did and send in a cover sheet with your name and address and a second sheet containing your letter. Time is running out so get R done!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For everything that has been thrashed out over this and what is still to come, I have to ask how many crimes were committed in recent history by these braces that the new regulations are supposed to cover. I'm guessing very few.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    For everything that has been thrashed out over this and what is still to come, I have to ask how many crimes were committed in recent history by these braces that the new regulations are supposed to cover. I'm guessing very few.
    "The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”

--Ayn Rand

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    So how likely is it that this passes? I just bought a PC Charger and I’m trying to decide if I should do the Form 1 before the ATF gets flooded with them or if I should roll the dice and see what happens.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'm surprised they don't have limp wrist malfunctions.
    I watch a LOT of shooting videos and people who shoot like that almost always induce a FTF in one or two shots. It's shockingly common how often semiautos fail due to stupid people not supporting the gun.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    So how likely is it that this passes? I just bought a PC Charger and I’m trying to decide if I should do the Form 1 before the ATF gets flooded with them or if I should roll the dice and see what happens.
    I would characterize it as “very likely” to pass.

I’m sure many of us are weighing the same decision.

Last edited:

jolly rancher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    As of today there have been 120,296 comments submitted concerning banning arm braces to the ATF with 52 days left to submit a comment. AFT 2021R-08 is the docket number.
    As of today there have been 88,207 comments submitted concerning banning 80% receivers to the ATF with 32 days left to comment. ATF 2021R-05 is the docket number.
    If you have not done so please submit a comment ASAP.

Last edited:

jolly rancher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Got off my two comment letters to the ATF.
    One for ATF 2021R-05 (80% frames) and one for ATF 2021R-08 (Braces). This is kind of like voting, may not do any good but at least I tried. If you don’t want your name and address available for viewing online do what I did and send in a cover sheet with your name and address and a second sheet containing your letter. Time is running out so get R done!

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Ok, who really ****ing cares what the A ****ing TF decides at this point. All they have done for decades is push THEIR agenda in order to feel the power of putting their boots on the neck of law abiding Citizens of the United States of America. As far as I am concerned, all of them are nothing but thugs that enjoy burning U.S. Citizens over an (unconstitutional) $200 dollar tax stamp, shooting unarmed women holding their children in the back, forcing dealers to sell illegal firearms to the cartel, blah, blah, blah. The ****ing list goes on. Only when we stand up and make them pay for their transgressions in blood will this change. I can tell you that I left my comment (which I did nicely in the correct way) and it will make no fracking difference.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The media keeps reporting that violence with firearms is on the rise but I would venture to guess that virtually none of that is being committed by using a pistol with a brace. It's a non starter.

Howbout putting those resources toward combating the real criminal element instead of harassing law abiding gun owners?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The media keeps reporting that violence with firearms is on the rise but I would venture to guess that virtually none of that is being committed by using a pistol with a brace. It's a non starter.

Howbout putting those resources toward combating the real criminal element instead of harassing law abiding gun owners?
    As @Leadeye would say, follow the money. I would add power. There is nothing to gain by controlling criminals other than bigger prison costs. There is much money and power turning on controlling the rest of us.

Top Bottom