Do you Inform if pulled over while carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you inform if pulled over while carrying in Indiana?

• Total voters

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    No. I think I've always looked at as a courtesy I would appreciate if in their shoes. The more confident and comfortable that officer is with me the better as well. They have a tuff job, and I do respect the ones that do it well.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would let the LEO know if I was pulled over and he/she asked. I'm not going to lye to the person that can take me to jail, whether it be warranted or not.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I would let the LEO know if I was pulled over and he/she asked. I'm not going to lye to the person that can take me to jail, whether it be warranted or not.

Why do so many believe that silence is even remotely akin to lying?

Is the government teaching this in their public indoctrination centers now?

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    For those of you that carry your wallet on the same side as your gun, start carrying your wallet on the opposite side. I did this several years ago after thinking about the scenario of retrieving my wallet during a traffic stop.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I always put my wallet and cellphone in my cupholder. Also I make sure my LTCH can not be seen when I remove my driver license.

THIS. During one stop after retrieving my license, the next words spoken by the trooper were "So I see you have a 'permit'. Do you have your gun on you right now?". They can and will notice that pink permission slip. Move it if you dont want to be noticed.

Lwjones2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Vincennes
    I have discussed this issue with veteran police officer. His response was some officers will appreciate the info and some will get nervous and over react. If they ask you have to tell the truth but if they don't ask then don't tell was his advice. Also don't let your gun fall out of the glove box while trying to find insurance and registration info. Much easier if you clip that to your visor and have your driver's license ready to go with hands on the wheel clearly visible when they approach your vehicle.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I have discussed this issue with veteran police officer. His response was some officers will appreciate the info and some will get nervous and over react. If they ask you have to tell the truth but if they don't ask then don't tell was his advice. Also don't let your gun fall out of the glove box while trying to find insurance and registration info. Much easier if you clip that to your visor and have your driver's license ready to go with hands on the wheel clearly visible when they approach your vehicle.
    This is great advice. I also have my insurance card stapled to my registration.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Just dont go digging like a madman to grab your papers while/after you pull over. Much better to pull over, shut off the car, hit the flashers, roll down the window and sit with hands at 10 and 2. (Then go for the papers while the cop can see what you are doing)

The last thing a cop wants to see is the person he is pulling over rummaging around. Cant really tell if you are going for your papers or hiding that baggie of weed, stashing (or grabbing) a gun, etc. Ive been told to just pull over, roll it down/shut it down and wait patiently at 10/2. Plenty of time to grab what they ask for when they get to the window.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I think you're over-complicating it. Stop the car. Give him your ID. Take your ticket. Unless there's something more than a regular traffic stop, guns aren't relevant and don't need to be discussed.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Unless there's something more than a regular traffic stop, guns aren't relevant and don't need to be discussed.

Every time I've been pulled over there has been some variation of "Are there any drugs or weapons in the vehicle". At which point you can say "nothing illegal" which may peak their interest cause you are rightfully dodging their question. So if you say "No" is there an issue legally with lying to the leo?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Every time I've been pulled over there has been some variation of "Are there any drugs or weapons in the vehicle". At which point you can say "nothing illegal" which may peak their interest cause you are rightfully dodging their question. So if you say "No" is there an issue legally with lying to the leo?

I don't usually get that question. I give him/her my license and registration when he gets to the window. Then, if it hasn't already been stated, I ask what is the reason for the stop. It usually stays on that topic. There's no requirement to answer any other questions. You don't even have to be rude or a dick to make that happen. I have just rarely had an issue.

I have been pulled over for what I thought were some fishing expeditions though. But I don't really like to play. I give them my license, they check for warrants or whatever, and I get to go.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't usually get that question. I give him/her my license and registration when he gets to the window. Then, if it hasn't already been stated, I ask what is the reason for the stop. It usually stays on that topic. There's no requirement to answer any other questions. You don't even have to be rude or a dick to make that happen. I have just rarely had an issue.

I have been pulled over for what I thought were some fishing expeditions though. But I don't really like to play. I give them my license, they check for warrants or whatever, and I get to go.

If I had a badge, I'd make sure you fell down a lot on the way to jail, sir!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If I had a badge, I'd make sure you fell down a lot on the way to jail, sir!

I'll file a complaint and you will be judged by the INGO Civilian Review Board. There will be a poll to determine your guilt. The only evidence you are allowed to present is the dash cam video from an angle which favors my case, starting at the exact time I fall, and the fact that you're a police officer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll file a complaint and you will be judged by the INGO Civilian Review Board. There will be a poll to determine your guilt. The only evidence you are allowed to present is the dash cam video from an angle which favors my case, starting at the exact time I fall, and the fact that you're a police officer.

Okay, but I have a trump card: you're whiter than I am, thus you have twice as much privilege. Again, the rhino wins!

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Yes, but only if asked or required to do something which may reveal a gun. Such as if it were in the glove box and they asked for my registration.

If you do not have a gun on your person, say it's in the glove box, and are asked, are you carrying? Is no a correct answer, or should it be clarified with "no, not on my person."

Been stopped maybe 1/2 a dozen times in 15 years since I had my permit, never had a problem.

Several months ago my boyfriend and I were taking an AR to a gun shop. That was an interesting stop. I didn't know he had been drinking prior to us going otherwise I would have drove. I had 4 empty mags in my hoodie, pepper spray, and a pocket knife. They had like 3 or 4 cars show up once they saw the AR15. They were basically leaving me alone while they were dealing with my boyfriend. He blew like a .05 I think at the time. So they came up to me, asked me to get out of the car. Ask me if I have any weapons on me. "Just pepper spray and a pocket knife." Which they didn't care about. I shifted and the magazines clanked. The officer looked down and asked what they were. I had completely forgot I had the mags by that time. No lectures, no guns drawn, no serial number check. Helps to be white, respectable looking, and over 50 sometimes.

I've always followed the advice of windows open, hands on wheel, be polite but don't volunteer anything.

Top Bottom