Do you Inform if pulled over while carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you inform if pulled over while carrying in Indiana?

• Total voters

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Poll is up now.

Right now I am torn between "yes, but only if the officer asks" and "no".

The primary reason I would not inform is that I have seen many reports of officers taking the firearm out of the driver's holster and dicking around with it and that whole mess strikes me as being less safe than just keeping my mouth shut.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    For people who vote "yes, I tell the officer whether he asks or not", do you also volunteer that info if you are a passenger in a vehicle that gets pulled over and if not, why one and not the other?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    No. I've had mine unloaded and all rounds removed from the mag. I've also seen some poor guy walk into an LGS with his pistol detail stripped by an leo and asking for help getting it reassembled.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Advice from a THE Sheriff of a county North of Indy. Don't advise but don't deny if you are asked.. Makes perfect sense to me but I suppose everyone has to make that decision for themselves. IMHO lying to a police officer about anything during an interaction is a bad idea. They are already a little on edge, understandably, so don't give them a reason to be more wired than they already are. :)

Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Advice from a THE Sheriff of a county North of Indy. Don't advise but don't deny if you are asked.. Makes perfect sense to me but I suppose everyone has to make that decision for themselves. IMHO lying to a police officer about anything during an interaction is a bad idea. They are already a little on edge, understandably, so don't give them a reason to be more wired than they already are. :)

Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

When I was a little kid, my parents gave me some ground rules. Regarding dealing with police, I was told that I did not have to say anything to the police, no matter what the police might threaten, but I was not to lie to the police. They also told me to never consent to a search and never take a polygraph. I am the youngest of six and none of my other siblings received these instructions...maybe I was a precocious child?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So there is no link between the Indiana driver license database and the database of LTCH holders? I.e. if a cop runs your DL during a stop, does it not tell him if you have a LTCH?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So there is no link between the Indiana driver license database and the database of LTCH holders? I.e. if a cop runs your DL during a stop, does it not tell him if you have a LTCH?

As I understand it, there is a link in some locales but not necessarily all of them have access to that info. Best to just not inform unless they ask.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Yes and No.....

In the 38 years of handgun carry in the State of Indiana, less than 1/2 dozen stops, I have never been ask if I have a firearm or not.

I checked the Yes, if ask box, but being NEVER ask, I do not know if that would be a NO???...Bill.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    In the 38 years of handgun carry in the State of Indiana, less than 1/2 dozen stops, I have never been ask if I have a firearm or not.

I checked the Yes, if ask box, but being NEVER ask, I do not know if that would be a NO???...Bill.

You would inform if they asked you, but you would not inform if they did not ask you. That would fit under "yes, if asked".

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Only reason I'll notify (other than if asked, I'm not going to lie) is if I'm traveling to a pistol/3-gun match and have evidence of firearms obviously visible. Everything is always cased and unloaded, but I'd guess they'll already suspect I'm carrying. That's happened once (stopped for speeding, I was late to the match) and it was a positive, professional interaction.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I figure it's a valid application of the old-fashioned "don't ask, don't tell" policy. I've never been asked in the few interactions I've had in Indiana, and have never been pulled over in one of those Must Inform states. I'm going to maximize my safety in the way I best see fit depending on all observed nuances of each interaction. And I'm not saying I'd be honest and admit to carrying, nor am I saying I'd lie about it.

Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies...:whistle:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Yep, you got it...

You would inform if they asked you, but you would not inform if they did not ask you. That would fit under "yes, if asked".

About 5-6 years ago, I was headed up to Whitley County, to do a buy with WhitleyStu, here on INGO, I was stopped just on the South end of Fort Wayne on I-69.

For some reason?? an Indiana State Policeman wanted to talk to me about my speed?? (83MPH in a 70 zone)
    I had my Glock 22 in a JackAss shoulder rig, with the 2 mags on the offside. Light wind-breaker type of jacket over it.
    The FINE ISP Officer ran my vehicle/insurance paper work, returned with a written warning, and said to be safe, and have a nice day.
    I said the same back to the Officer, and was HAPPY with the warning!!

No word was mentioned about any weapons, but I'm pretty sure?? that my LTCH showed up on the license check..Bill.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I travel a lot and have a tough time keeping up with individual laws by state. I always inform no matter where I am.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I wouldn't bring the subject up. I probably wouldn't answer unless they have a good reason for asking and were being friendly. I would just keep it out of site and out of the way.

I don't know what a good reason for asking might be.

Top Bottom