Do you Inform if pulled over while carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you inform if pulled over while carrying in Indiana?

• Total voters

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...If you do not have a gun on your person, say it's in the glove box, and are asked, are you carrying? Is no a correct answer, or should it be clarified with "no, not on my person."

The correct response is, "That question is not pertinent to this traffic stop."

There is no good reason to answer questions.

Koven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Leo
    I let the officer know, but only because it was in the way of where I needed to go. Otherwise, no, I will not.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Have you ever personally used that line? And if so, how did it go?

Yes, I have. It went fine.

To my response the officer repeated his question, "Do you have any weapons or drugs in the vehicle?"

My second response was, "I'm not going to answer the question."

He already had my DL and registration, said, "wait right here." He went back to his vehicle and returned with a warning to get my license plate bulb fixed.

I told him to have a nice evening and drove away. It was all very polite but unnecessary.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I've had officers ask me when they saw my pink card. I reply with the honest answer... most are seriously grateful and don't say much about it, other than to keep the hands at 10 & 2.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I have discussed this issue with veteran police officer. His response was some officers will appreciate the info and some will get nervous and over react. If they ask you have to tell the truth but if they don't ask then don't tell was his advice. Also don't let your gun fall out of the glove box while trying to find insurance and registration info. Much easier if you clip that to your visor and have your driver's license ready to go with hands on the wheel clearly visible when they approach your vehicle.

This is great advice. I also have my insurance card stapled to my registration.
    I finally remember to take a pic on how my insurance and registration cards are clipped on my visor. I do the same thing on all three of my vehicle.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yes always better safe than sorry. I have my hands on the wheel with both DL and PINK CARD in my hands window down.
    We'll see how safe you feel when your own gun is pointed at you and/or your spouse as mine was at me and my wife! (By an agitated and ignorant Trooper)

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I have never been asked, but would inform if asked. I'll probably jinx my streak, but only been pulled over 1x in the last 32 yrs. written warning I keep my insurance and registration in an envelope in the Drivers side visor also. They would see my pink card while pulling my driver's license from my wallet.

Top Bottom