• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    That does explain a lot. No one wants to be a neighbor or care anything about their property anymore. Everyone just packed up and left and is biding their time for when they can cash in.

Follow the $$$$$$

The section 8 tenants around here will get he full intended benefit.

:facepalm:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Even if one considers the Monon Trail an unmitigated success, the situation is not even remotely similar. I think most will concede, if only grudgingly, that building a trail system in large urban areas with substantial populations and a lack of access to walking trails makes more sense and is more likely to achieve some of the stated goals than building the same trail in low population areas that already have significant access to walking trails.

The silliest thing about this whole boondoggle is that it is going to be built near relatively low population areas that already have nearby access to a number of State Parks, State Forests, State Recreation Areas, and the Hoosier National Forest, all with a variety of trails.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The rising tide does lift ALL ships. Many of the original folks in now gentrified neighborhoods are not ran out, their property value skyrockets and they take the money and run. Those that owned before gentrification make a ton of money…
    ALL ships? "many of" =/= "ALL of"

It's a flawed model that only makes the talking points of proponents sound more real than they are. It just shifts the **** hole to somewhere else. The slum lords are the ones who make money. The tenants move to some other **** hole that they can afford.

More is needed to end poverty than building nice apartments, or making rails into trails in impoverished areas. If throwing property developers at **** holes were the cure for poverty, we should have no more slums by now. Gentrification benefits the people who don't really need it, and really doesn't benefit those who do.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Out of curiosity, is there federal money that comes with this? There are times that I think leadership would pave the entire state if they could get matching federal funds.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Out of curiosity, is there federal money that comes with this? There are times that I think leadership would pave the entire state if they could get matching federal funds.

First line from this rails to trails conservancy page...
    There are a number of different ways to obtain funding for active-transportation projects. Federal transportation programs provide the largest percentage of funding needed for the country’s bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    ALL ships? "many of" =/= "ALL of"

It's a flawed model that only makes the talking points of proponents sound more real than they are. It just shifts the **** hole to somewhere else. The slum lords are the ones who make money. The tenants move to some other **** hole that they can afford.

More is needed to end poverty than building nice apartments, or making rails into trails in impoverished areas. If throwing property developers at **** holes were the cure for poverty, we should have no more slums by now. Gentrification benefits the people who don't really need it, and really doesn't benefit those who do.
    Sorry to tell you pal, but the utopia you seek will never come to pass on this earth.

The rising tide lifts ALL boats, but that tide does not force those that do not want to be lifted to go along, they can continue to sink their own boat.

Property values rise for property owners, check.

Better and safer jobs are available, check.

Cleaner and safer living environments, check.

Gentrification is a woke term…

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I wonder who will get all that steel from the rails and spikes? Maybe the state will donate all the ties so my gun club can build a huge wall to keep the snow flakes from being offended as they pass by.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I wonder who will get all that steel from the rails and spikes? Maybe the state will donate all the ties so my gun club can build a huge wall to keep the snow flakes from being offended as they pass by.

I was asking a CSX lawyer who was responsible for the property and she said "Well... that's kind of a toss up right now..." to which I replied "I'll bet if I started cutting and pulling up rails I'd find out real fast"

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I like my vehicles to remain un-sabotaged, and my driveway not used as a parking lot. I enjoy quietly watching TV without the noise and sparks of thieves cutting on the railroad's abandoned equipment. I also like to walk in my yard without finding beer bottles, drug paraphernalia, stolen items and human waste left by persons that have decided this is a public area from what they've heard on the news. Hopefully there is a government program that will support my hopes and dreams for a better tomorrow.
    Ditto for my hunting ground. It's always nice to find a new pile of couches, tvs, and tires. Not to mention the destruction of surrounding area and crappy replacement of a deteriorated bridge.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well, for the proposed Monon South trail, looks like it’ll go through a good bit of New Albany. How safe it would be depends on where they start it. Once you get far enough North it’s not too bad. And then through the rural areas it should be pretty safe.
    The rural areas areas get used for everything except trail walking or biking. They get used for dumping and all kinds of other things miscreants like to do because they are more isolated.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    From what I have read from the STB (Surface Transportation Board) filings in 2010 CSX, the owner of the old Monon Line applied for discontinuance of service not abandonment and was granted such with the understanding that the tracks would remain. I couldn't find anymore filings more recent than this but there may be more. Docket number AB-55_698x. Decision on 4-7-2010.

If this is the case then CSX would still have a right of way and could choose to railbank it or sell it to a bidder to continue service??

Are the tracks still on the rail line?
    They are not supposed to be able to sell the ROW. If the property is no longer to be used for the purpose the ROW was established, then the property was supposed to be returned to property owners. That's the reason for discontinuance instead of abandonment, they later filed for abandonment and the land was not returned to the owners.To many landowners don't realize they have a right to the property.

If they want to establish a new ROW then they need to start the process over, not purchase someone else's ROW.

Top Bottom