• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Remember y'all, republicans are the party of small government and you keeping more of your money.

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    A lot of private land along that route. I wonder how they'll navigate around, or compensate the affected owners of that land?

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Remember y'all, republicans are the party of small government and you keeping more of your money.

Parks for the public seems an appropriate endeavor for a state. The north Indy/Carmel/Westfield/Sheridan trail has over three million users a year.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

I live in NE Indiana and most likely will never set eyes on this trail, let alone feet or bicycle tires. But I definitely support it. Fort Wayne has lots of interconnected biking/hiking paths; unfortunately, none yet SW where I am. I look forward to trail expansion out here.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The rail line is abandoning it. A federal program meant to bank rail corridors for potential future use (Rails to Trails) will pay for the land acquisition. Adjacent property owners who would normally receive the sliver of land when abandoned are instead paid for the land.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Bedford installed trails a few years back, but I can't remember ever seeing anybody use them since they have been built. Looks like they won't be near my area of the GSF.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Bedford installed trails a few years back, but I can't remember ever seeing anybody use them since they have been built. Looks like they won't be near my area of the GSF.
    The parts that are in town, I can't tell you the last time I've seen anyone on it/them. In fairness, I think the part that extends out into the county gets some use. The trail (in town) and the train station relocation was nothing but a taxpayer boondoggle.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The parts that are in town, I can't tell you the last time I've seen anyone on it/them. In fairness, I think the part that extends out into the county gets some use. The trail (in town) and the train station relocation was nothing but a taxpayer boondoggle.

The one that runs southwest out of town neither I or the gardener have ever see anyone on. Maybe it's the banjo music.;)

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    We use the Milwaukee Trail between Williams and Bedford a little bit. Lots of vandalism and littering along the trail now though, that the adjacent landowners have to deal with. A few people also use it as an ATV trail (illegally).

It's a shame, we live very close to it but all of the women in my family are afraid to use it alone.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There are certainly better uses for $30 million than this feed the city folk to the coyotes program but there are worse ones as well. I hope revenue from hunting and fishing licenses are not being used for this nonsense.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I live a few hundred yards from the Monon trail at the white river in Indy. It stays fairly well traveled.

My biggest complaint are the drivers on main thoroughfares who insist on stopping at crossings they should not be stopping at. You’re supposed to slow down and use caution but not stop, The trail goers have stop signs at these types of intersections, vehicles have the right of way.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I live a few hundred yards from the Monon trail at the white river in Indy. It stays fairly well traveled.

My biggest complaint are the drivers on main thoroughfares who insist on stopping at crossings they should not be stopping at. You’re supposed to slow down and use caution but not stop, The trail goers have stop signs at these types of intersections, vehicles have the right of way.
    Yes.

This came to light in Fort Wayne, when a cyclist was hit and killed while crossing a road that intersected with a bike path. There was more to it: a driver approached the crossing and waved the cyclist through. Another car attempted to pass the stopped car, then struck and killed the person on the bike. Lots of PSAs came from it; I was surprised how many well-intentioned drivers didn't know this rule. Me, if I'm on my bike on a trail and have to cross a street, I make it a point to avoid eye contact with drivers, taking a drink of water, checking shoe laces, etc.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    We ride the trails West of Logansport. They got grant $ and making it soon rest of the way to Rochester. We got some closer to Peru we wanna ride this year as well. E-bikes are a blast in them. We often take them into small towns to eat so local business are helped. Most of these trails are old railroad tracks. They been trying to connect Wabash to Lagro wanting farmers to donate the use of the land. It always fails. They want farmers to clean the area, no hunting the land and keep insurance in it in case anyone gets hurt. Gee what a great deal…. So it’s never getting done…lol.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    From my time in Bedford and Mitchell I assume that's because their powerchairs don't have enough battery to reach the trail. :laugh:

Top Bottom