• ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Rookie said:
    As a father, I allowed my child to play the victim card.

This is not the correct way to handle kids with ADHD. They need help and training, and not just in the form of physical discipline (which I fully support as well!)

Letting them play the 'victim card' or relying solely on pharmaceuticals is wrong, I think that you and I can agree on that. But if the child has a true behavioral disorder, those things should be addressed. Not used as excuses! But addressed.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Rookie said:
    I'm sorry, creator of the label. My bad, but I figured you would know what I meant.

I did know what you meant, Rookie, but it's an important distinction. These symptoms are observable. He observed them, and he never denied that. He was focusing more on their origins than their existence.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My child hasn't been diagnosed with ADHD. Yet. I'm sure they'll get around to giving that label sooner or later.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I wasn't implying that, I was pointing out that even an ADHD diagnosis doesn't excuse behavior or excuse parent's refusal to properly discipline their children.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'll say one last thing before I bow out...

I dealt with doctors who thought that their brand of magic bean or fancy diagnosis would cure the problem. In my experience, with a whole lot of doctors, not a single one had any concern beyond making money. New diagnosis meant more sessions, more drugs, etc. I don't care what science says, my experience is that mental illness is a money game. Besides, the brain is one part of the body that scientists know the least about, so I don't take much stock in brain scans.

When a doctor told me that they really had no idea what the drugs were doing, and that they were trying to find a combination that worked, that settled it for me.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Absolutely consider the source when taking recommendations such as those. Doctors are the worst.

I recommend behavioral psychologists as a good starting point for kids with potential behavioral disorders, personally. Find a good one. They can't prescribe drugs anyways.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I really don't think he felt threatened. I doubt he'll even take that position. I think he follows the same line of thinking demonstrated in this thread, that there's nothing wrong with these kids that a firm hand won't cure - might as well be him, right?

Hell, the kid has PTSD. Whatever happened to him to cause that, I doubt that being handcuffed and rendered helpless by a strange man was helpful to his mental state.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    In '75 I married a woman that had a 3 yr. old son. By the time he reached kindergarten then 1st grade we were getting almost daiily reports about his behavior in school. Neighbors didn't want him playing with their kids. He was diagnosed as "hyperactive" put on Ritalin and strict diet that was based on the concept that some foods and additives exacerbated the problem. The diagnosis, drugs, and diet probably occurred around age 9. I see "hyperactive" and "ADHD" as one and the same. The problem was you couldn't give Ritalin 7 days in a row. On the weekends he was off drugs and he was a terror. It was like a rubber band was stretched for five days and popped on weekends. He went through a "fire starter" phase and set small fires in thee neighborhood. The final straw was when he lagged behind when class let out and set a fire in his desk. The kid was expelled from school and no regular school would take him. My wife got in touch with his father and came up with the money to put the kid in a 7X24 school. That got him out of the house. By the time he graduated H.S. his mother and I were divorced. The same kid wound up in juvy then real jail for years. Anybody dealing with this situation has my sympathies. I was a kid in the 50's. Hyperactivity was unheard of. So was "prepared" food that's in eveybody's diet today. There's got to be some connection. There's also a connection to the phrase "wait till your father get's home" and a child's behavior. It truly meant something back in the dark ages.

Last edited:

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I don't care what disorders he had. I am interested in whether the restraint was reasonably necessary. If so, I see no problem in the video. If not, then there's a problem.

My wife is a special needs teacher and it is not a good restraint and will lead to lawsuits and injuries. There are special holds that special needs teachers and administrators are taught that will subdue a child. Being restrained like that is painful and has been used on POW's and will only cause a child with mental or emotional disabilities to become more agitated.

While listening to the child and watching his movements I believe there may be other disabilities other than ADHD and PTSD.

This may be a child that is otherwise a well behaved child but didn't get his medication or get it on time. Yes not getting your meds at the same time everyday will cause problems for people with emotional and mental disabilities.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wait... Science saying that ADHD is real is good...

But science saying that vaccines are good is bad...

Got it. Thanks.

Then if ADHD is so real, then WHY in in the early 1960's in the days of strict disipline and no drugged kids did we not have it then?
    Kids learned and did their work.

Pretty sure ADHD is caused by vaccinations. Or maybe genetically modified foods. Or carbon dioxide.

invent11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 11, 2015
    Fishers
    This just shows that the school cannot control an 8 year old kid. They might want to find a new principle versus attacking the officer.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My wife is a special needs teacher and it is not a good restraint and will lead to lawsuits and injuries. There are special holds that special needs teachers and administrators are taught that will subdue a child. Being restrained like that is painful and has been used on POW's and will only cause a child with mental or emotional disabilities to become more agitated.

While listening to the child and watching his movements I believe there may be other disabilities other than ADHD and PTSD.

This may be a child that is otherwise a well behaved child but didn't get his medication or get it on time. Yes not getting your meds at the same time everyday will cause problems for people with emotional and mental disabilities.

Once the police are called they're going to deal with the situation like police, not like special ed. teachers.

Top Bottom