• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I did not suggest that. I highlighted SF as the poster-child for growing homelessness. I also have acknowledged that mental illness and drugs do have a significant impact. But, your article, which I’ve actually read before, said that mental illness and substance abuse (which overlaps) accounted for about a wuarter of homeless. That means 75% are due to other issues. Most of the homeless are transitional. It’s temporary. Those are due to economics. Low opportunities, and scarcity of housing pushes them to the streets until they get back on their feet.

Chronically homeless comprises mostly mentally ill and druggies. No question. But that number has not increased dramatically like the temporarily homeless. So in the context of this thread, you would be hard pressed to show that the dramatic increase in homeless population is due to increased dreug use because they’re legal now, or possession laws aren’t enforced in those areas. It’s mostly due to ****ty Democrat policies which put many people out of jobs and their homes.
    Do you EVER research any of the things you think you know? The following are excerpted from the HUD Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress for both 2019 and 2022 (the latest available)

Please recall that these increases occurred while unprecedented government interventions, such as eviction moratoriums, were in place

CA2019.png

CA2022.png

Chronic homelessness up 57760 ÷ 39275 = 1.4707 up 47.1%, annualized growth 13.7% per year

Total homelessness up 145983 ÷128777 = 1.1336 up 13.4%, annualized growth 4.3% per year

Chronic homelessness grew at more than three times the rate of overall homelessness

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Conflating marijuana with homelessness is some fancy dancin', new math type figuring.

I'll bow out of the thread again so I don't get nasty. It'll get legalized and the "there'll be blood in the streets!!" pearl clutchers will have to find something else to fret about so the conversation is pointless.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe, or really any of the other candidates blaze up a fatty on camera during the campaign. It's (legalization) either gonna happen before or soon after the election. I'd actually like to see Joe light one up, it just might turn the lights back on for a few :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Getting picky here, but completing a 4473 is irrelevant. BATFE will tell you that it is illegal for you to own, posses or use a firearm if you use MJ. So, they would tell you that if you use MJ, you cannot do a FTF purchase of a firearm from a non-dealer where there is no requirement to complete a 4473.
    Ya need to be careful who you say that to. People are looking at ways to close that door.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Do you EVER research any of the things you think you know? The following are excerpted from the HUD Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress for both 2019 and 2022 (the latest available)

Please recall that these increases occurred while unprecedented government interventions, such as eviction moratoriums, were in place

View attachment 280345

View attachment 280346

Chronic homelessness up 57760 ÷ 39275 = 1.4707 up 47.1%, annualized growth 13.7% per year

Total homelessness up 145983 ÷128777 = 1.1336 up 13.4%, annualized growth 4.3% per year

Chronic homelessness grew at more than three times the rate of overall homelessness
    Well yes, I did research it. I found the same source you posted along with some others, which did not break down the numbers by category. I did not see the HUD stats. Regardless, that wasn’t the point.

Now do the research that supports your belief that their state of homelessness is caused by the legalization of marijuana. How many people become homeless or remained homeless because they could get weed legally instead of illegally?

If you have a physical disability, mental illness, or a substance abuse problem, and you lose your housing for whatever reason, you’re much more likely stay homeless. If you think the increased chronic homelessness is due to legalization of marijuana you have a proof problem you need to solve.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So it is more of an issue of money than morality?
    What is “it”? Legalization? People tried to stop drug use, legally, on moral grounds. I’d prefer people stayed sober. But what people do, as long as it doesn’t harm innocent people, is not my business. I’m sure that there’s a healthy pro-legalization lobby wanting to make millions from other people’s desire to escape reality. Just like with alcohol. Trying to criminalize it took a worse toll on society than individuals partaking in it legally do. Not saying substance abuse takes no toll on society. But the war on drugs is a total failure.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well yes, I did research it. I found the same source you posted along with some others, which did not break down the numbers by category. I did not see the HUD stats. Regardless, that wasn’t the point.

Now do the research that supports your belief that their state of homelessness is caused by the legalization of marijuana. How many people become homeless or remained homeless because they could get weed legally instead of illegally?

If you have a physical disability, mental illness, or a substance abuse problem, and you lose your housing for whatever reason, you’re much more likely stay homeless. If you think the increased chronic homelessness is due to legalization of marijuana you have a proof problem you need to solve.
    Let me post a DIRECT quote from you again
    Chronically homeless comprises mostly mentally ill and druggies. No question. But that number has not increased dramatically like the temporarily homeless
    You are flat out wrong, as you are in many things you assert, but this one was easily falsifiable. The attempt to make it a question about whether marijuana legalization has made the problem worse is just an attempt to use nuance to deflect from the fact that you are wrong and you are often full of .. uhhh .... there is a reason your eyes are brown

In the post I quoted from you were arguing that the cost of housing was the driver for homelessness. It almost seemed as if you thought we should build houses for them (for free of course). You admitted that substance abuse and mental illness were drivers for chronic homelessness but then tried to minimize the size of the problem in service to your preferred narrative, and when that failed, much like when you failed to support your assertion that 'Trump only appeals to Trumpers', you deflect to some other point that you were supposedly making that gives you more degrees of freedom

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

This study looks at Recreational Cannabis Legalization (RCL) in isolation for an effect on homelessness, using states that have not done so as a control

From the above table, the model estimates with 95% confidence that RCL adoption will have an average effect of 8.31 more homeless per 10,000 residents in 2019 for CoCs in California, Massachusetts, and Nevada than in never-treated groups (falling in the range CI(1.8606,14.7638)); this estimated effect increases in year 2020 with an average of 9.91 more homeless per 10,000 residents (falling in the range CI(3.0529,16.7650)). Group 2020 (i.e., CoCs in Arizona and New Jersey) exhibited a significant but smaller positive instantaneous effect: RCL adoption is associated with 1.45 more homeless per 10,000 residents than in never-treated groups in the same year that the policy was adopted.
    These positive relationships between RCL and homelessness for CoCs adopting RCL in 2016 and 2020 are consistent with trends observed for CoCs adopting the policy in 2012 and 2014 (see Figure 1.2 below), for which the effects are nevertheless milder and not significant. A closer examination of the sample distribution (Appendix A: Table 2.3) reveals that the sample sizes for Groups 2012 and 2014 are small and therefore have lower statistical power in the model.

Tburke798

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    St.John
    Indiana Democrats want to legalize medical and recreational marijuana. They say it will generate a lot of tax revenue.
    Obviously, the next step is to legalize prostitution. It will also generate tax revenue and attract conventions (except the FFA) to the state. Additionally, it will provide employment for unskilled young people who don't want to bother with schooling.

Add purple if you think necessary.
    I'm starting to think Schooling only hurts kids these days!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Portland oregon is prime example of what legalization of drugs does to a city. People can’t self govern themselves when it comes to drugs.. my daughter lives there I have watched in dismay how bad it gets. Only getting worse then what?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Maybe he is going to switch parties and wanted to enhance his credentials?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Portland oregon is prime example of what legalization of drugs does to a city. People can’t self govern themselves when it comes to drugs.. my daughter lives there I have watched in dismay how bad it gets. Only getting worse then what?
    Drugs are not what is wrong with that place

Top Bottom