• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    When I carried a badge in my wallet I never once got through security after they noticed the badge until I'd been frisked, wanded and put through malfunctioning teleporter thing-a-ma-jig.

You're obviously cuter than me. I never can get a good molesting. Maybe the trick is to not act so eager? Pelvic thrusting your way into the machine is a turn off?

*edit
    I did get 'randomly selected' at the Canadian border by the Canadians for a vehicle search. No personal search. I think busting out laughing when asked if I had more than $10k in cash may have been the trigger.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You're obviously cuter than me. I never can get a good molesting. Maybe the trick is to not act so eager? Pelvic thrusting your way into the machine is a turn off?

*edit
    I did get 'randomly selected' at the Candadian border by the Canadians for a vehicle search. No personal search. I think busting out laughing when asked if I had more than $10k in cash may have been the trigger.
    It was always an interesting time going in to Canada to find out what they were going to scream at us for trying to "smuggle" in undeclared. One year was a bag of potatoes, another a couple tubes of roofing cement. We got yelled at once coming back in to the states for not washing the dirt off of the ATV's because apparently Canadian dirt cannot be mixed with American dirt and apparently Mother Nature agrees so she never blows and dust across the border lol.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It was always an interesting time going in to Canada to find out what they were going to scream at us for trying to "smuggle" in undeclared. One year was a bag of potatoes, another a couple tubes of roofing cement. We got yelled at once coming back in to the states for not washing the dirt off of the ATV's because apparently Canadian dirt cannot be mixed with American dirt and apparently Mother Nature agrees so she never blows and dust across the border lol.

Oh, nobody likes fruit/veggies at customs. I had to look up if honey was ok while we were in Spain (it is) but oddly you can't import Iberian hams. They are cooked, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Even my wife who has a strong cultural aversion to pork had to admit it was really good. The pigs eat acorns and the meat has a different taste than pork here.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    Just a side effect of what marijuana legalization has done in the area of California where I live...

With the legalization of possession, sales, and cultivation 'pot shops' have sprung up all around our county (the only restrictions being that they can be no closer than 300' from a school, or church). The shops in our area generally provide an armed 'doorman' to check for age and ID, and in order to purchase you are required to provide proof of residence. And just like alcohol it's illegal to buy it for underage people, but it is; and openly.

The industrial park where my shop is located was re-vamped by the owner for pot-growers and all rents increased, in several cases, over 10 times. When a pot farmer comes in and offer to pay the owner $6,000 per month for a space that formerly rented for $1,500 it's hard to blame a landlord for going for it. But, six businesses in the park where my shop is located went out of business because they couldn't crack the new rent. These were one-man and small businesses ... cabinet shops, auto repair, plumbers, etc., probably 25 people out of work as a result. All of this happened pre-COVID.

And of course the small-town corruption can't be discounted. Permits are required, and who gets one, and why, is just a matter of greasing the right palm. Pot sales in CA exceeded $817M in 2021, and pot shops were deemed 'essential businesses' during the COVID pandemic; meaning CA thought it necessary that pot shops needed to remain open.

Business is good, whenever I drive by the shops in our area the parking lots are usually full. But none of my friends, that indulge, buy their weed from these shops, they prefer their old connections. And since, to a man, all are pro-2A, none wish to be 'identified' by the Great State of Commiefornia, as gun owners.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just a side effect of what marijuana legalization has done in the area of California where I live...

With the legalization of possession, sales, and cultivation 'pot shops' have sprung up all around our county (the only restrictions being that they can be no closer than 300' from a school, or church). The shops in our area generally provide an armed 'doorman' to check for age and ID, and in order to purchase you are required to provide proof of residence. And just like alcohol it's illegal to buy it for underage people, but it is; and openly.

The industrial park where my shop is located was re-vamped by the owner for pot-growers and all rents increased, in several cases, over 10 times. When a pot farmer comes in and offer to pay the owner $6,000 per month for a space that formerly rented for $1,500 it's hard to blame a landlord for going for it. But, six businesses in the park where my shop is located went out of business because they couldn't crack the new rent. These were one-man and small businesses ... cabinet shops, auto repair, plumbers, etc., probably 25 people out of work as a result. All of this happened pre-COVID.

And of course the small-town corruption can't be discounted. Permits are required, and who gets one, and why, is just a matter of greasing the right palm. Pot sales in CA exceeded $817M in 2021, and pot shops were deemed 'essential businesses' during the COVID pandemic; meaning CA thought it necessary that pot shops needed to remain open.

Business is good, whenever I drive by the shops in our area the parking lots are usually full. But none of my friends, that indulge, buy their weed from these shops, they prefer their old connections. And since, to a man, all are pro-2A, none wish to be 'identified' by the Great State of Commiefornia, as gun owners.

Interesting.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There are reasons the police try to play 20 questions when they pull people over, and it isn't to be friendly.

"Where are you going?"
    Why?

“Where are you going?”

Fun response:
    “Am I being detained?”

:laugh:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Come on, jamil :rolleyes:

I hope you're not suggesting most people would have a Libertarian Victory Garden planted out back

Most people can't even seem to be bothered to mow the lawn. They'd be having it supplied commercially and that would probably be by Amazon in bed with shady cross border suppliers, and delivered to them by DoorDash. Drill down into what has happened to avocado farming down Mexico way and why
    Of course not. I’m suggesting that enterprising entrepreneurs will grow it and sell it for a profit legally, and can have a legal distribution system. So then when that driver gets pulled over, he can say, “Yes officer, I’m delivering this fresh crop of Cannabis to the processing plant.”

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was growing up, we used to go fishing up on Rainy Lake, near International Falls, right on the border between MN and Canada. The cabin we stayed in was in MN, but you actually looked south into Canada because of some weird "hook" of the border there. Anyhow, we did the majority of our fishing in Canadian waters, and there would be a guy (Mr. Leatherman) that would sit in his boat with a 55 gallon drum of "Canadian" minnows and you had to buy from him if you wanted to fish with minnows and you had better keep your receipt in case you were ever checked (we never were).

Supposedly it was to prevent invasive species of minnows from the Canadian waters (even though the border ran through the lake). :n00b:

This is where we stayed, although the cabins we used to stay in are no longer there. The hotel was built out of green lumber and the entire building is warped. In the bar, they had a bar sized pool table and to keep it level, they had concrete blocks under one end. :):

Looks like they've updated the bar and built a "wedge" platform under the pool table, but you can see the lean of the booths on the left...

Bar%20by%20Jan%20Jenson.webp

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    When I was growing up, we used to go fishing up on Rainy Lake, near International Falls, right on the border between MN and Canada.
    That's where we would cross back when I went up every year. We went to a cabin on Silvertip lake, about four hours north of the border (driving). Beautiful country up there and the best tasting walleye I've ever had by a long shot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's where we would cross back when I went up every year. We went to a cabin on Silvertip lake, about four hours north of the border (driving). Beautiful country up there and the best tasting walleye I've ever had by a long shot.
    I really miss it. The cabins we stayed in were probably 1/4 - 1/2 mile from the hotel, out on a narrow peninsula that was above the dam, so technically on Namakan lake. The water supply to the cabin was pumped directly from the lake on the south side of the peninsula. The toilet and waste water from the cabin drained into the lake on the north side, but we (unless mom was with us) never thought twice about drinking the water out of the tap.

We used to also rent a 14" square stern canoe with a 7 1/2 hp Evinrude that we brought with us (to avoid the rental fee). We'd take it across the lake to a place where you had to drag it over a beaver dam to get into another small lake (Mud Lake) that was full of almost nothing but Northern Pike. At the far end of that lake, there was a trail that lead up to another lake (Salo Lake). About a quarter mile walk to where a canoe was kept stashed.

Salo Lake was full of pretty much nothing but smallmouth bass. They had apparently never seen Neal Spinner (made in Indiana) surface baits before. We would catch one on pretty much every cast. Nice fish too.

Top Bottom