• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County
    Out of curiosity, when someone is pulled over for impaired driving and they are high but not drunk, how is this prosecuted? Drunk is pretty easy to understand as the breathalyzer gives a number and statutes are written around those numbers. I'm not aware of anything like this for MJ though.
    I have a couple friends that grow in CO, (God bless Federalism), and have told me it is prosecuted the same as drunk driving. In fact, if they find a pipe/whatever apparent in the vehicle cab, it’s the same charge as “open container”.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

State Police Header Image 3

INDIANA STATE POLICE
    PUTNAMVILLE DISTRICT
    1927 US 40 West
    Greencastle, IN 46135
    www.in.gov/isp
    FOR RELEASE: Upon Receipt​

Sgt. Matt Ames
    Public Information Officer
    812-240-0030
    DATE: 12-12-21

Traffic Stop Leads to Discovery of 133 Pounds of Marijuana
    Morgan County - Saturday, December 11, 2021, at approximately 4:20 p.m., an Indiana State Trooper observed a GMC Yukon that was following too close to a tractor trailer on I-70 near the 51-mile marker eastbound. The driver of the vehicle was identified as Alvaro Lopez-Chacon, age 39, of Costa Rica. During the course of the traffic stop the trooper observed criminal indicators and requested a canine. Trooper Kyle Hall and his canine Barker, from the ISP Putnamville Post, arrived. Barker indicated an alert on the vehicle. A subsequent search of the vehicle discovered that Lopez-Chacon was transporting 133 pounds of marijuana. Alvaro Lopez-Chacon was taken into custody and transported to the Morgan County Jail. The estimated street value of the marijuana is $300,000.
    Arrested and Charges: Alvaro Lopez-Chacon, 39, Costa Rica
    • Dealing Marijuana, Level 5 Felony
    • Possession of Marijuana, Class B Misdemeanor
    Photo 1 - Evidence Collected
    All criminal defendants are to be presumed innocent until, and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.
    -30-​
    AMES
    mm

Barker? Really? I mean. C'mon. couldn't they have come up with a better name than that? I'm glad that as a puppy the dog didn't mount all the other dogs or the article wouldn't be able to refer to the dog by name. Sheesh.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The trooper observed criminal indicators. What is that?
    Things like being on the road but unable or unwilling to say what the destination is

Or if more than one person involved, when 'interviewed' separately they give divergent stories

Individuals not owners of the vehicle and unable to give the registered owners information

It can be a long list

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So not telling them where you are going is against the law? Sounds like a fishing expedition to me.

Obviously the guy was shady, but it really is none of the officer's business where I am headed or coming from.

Stretching reality away from the obvious criminal in the story, please forgive.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So not telling them where you are going is against the law? Sounds like a fishing expedition to me.

Obviously the guy was shady, but it really is none of the officer's business where I am headed or coming from.

Criminals don't seem to be able to just not talk.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I'd want to hear more details about what the officer actually articulated as reasonable suspicion to do the search. Was it that he tried to dance around where he was going? Or was it that he just refused to say where he was going? If the latter, I don't think that's reasonable suspicion of criminal behavior. If the driver is being evasive and dishonest, maybe a different story.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But regardless, if MJ were legal, people would just grow it here instead of having people from Mexico, Central, and South America sneak it across the border.

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    I'd want to hear more details about what the officer actually articulated as reasonable suspicion to do the search. Was it that he tried to dance around where he was going? Or was it that he just refused to say where he was going? If the latter, I don't think that's reasonable suspicion of criminal behavior. If the driver is being evasive and dishonest, maybe a different story.
    If/when charges are filed, the probable cause affidavit will be available for anyone to view.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    There are reasons the police try to play 20 questions when they pull people over, and it isn't to be friendly.

"Where are you going?"
    Why?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    But regardless, if MJ were legal, people would just grow it here instead of having people from Mexico, Central, and South America sneak it across the border.
    Come on, jamil :rolleyes:

I hope you're not suggesting most people would have a Libertarian Victory Garden planted out back

Most people can't even seem to be bothered to mow the lawn. They'd be having it supplied commercially and that would probably be by Amazon in bed with shady cross border suppliers, and delivered to them by DoorDash. Drill down into what has happened to avocado farming down Mexico way and why

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    "Where are you going?"
    Why?
    Because if you say you're headed to Kokomo but you're westbound on I-74 near Crawfordsville, you might be lying

And if your first impulse is to lie to the police, you might be up to something. The important part of 'reasonable suspicion' is the 'suspicion' part

A principled refusal to be interrogated for no reason would play out differently than an attempt to prevaricate. That isn't to say it wouldn't generate LEO suspicion, just that it would be of a different type

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Because if you say you're headed to Kokomo but you're westbound on I-74 near Crawfordsville, you might be lying

And if your first impulse is to lie to the police, you might be up to something. The important part of 'reasonable suspicion' is the 'suspicion' part

A principled refusal to be interrogated for no reason would play out differently than an attempt to prevaricate. That isn't to say it wouldn't generate LEO suspicion, just that it would be of a different type
    I know why they play the game, I just choose not to.

Most criminals do not seem to be that smart.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They're desperately trying to not look like criminals, but they don't know how

A friend of mine who is CPD said that on night patrol, obeying all the traffic laws precisely will attract more suspicion than otherwise. He said normal people, not up to something, go 38 in a 35 or don't completely stop to right turn on red and those who do stand out far more than they think they do

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They're desperately trying to not look like criminals, but they don't know how

A friend of mine who is CPD said that on night patrol, obeying all the traffic laws precisely will attract more suspicion than otherwise. He said normal people, not up to something, go 38 in a 35 or don't completely stop to right turn on red and those who do stand out far more than they think they do

That's why I don't hit the brakes when I see a trooper running radar. That, and by the time I see him if he wants me he already has me. Turns out they never do. I think it's a conspiracy, and one the TSA is in on, to always ignore me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think it's a conspiracy, and one the TSA is in on, to always ignore me.
    When I carried a badge in my wallet I never once got through security after they noticed the badge until I'd been frisked, wanded and put through malfunctioning teleporter thing-a-ma-jig.

Same thing crossing the border into Canada. If they saw the badge it was gonna be an extra hour at least while they tore the vehicle apart looking for guns and/or ammo.

Top Bottom