• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think you're making an argument of semantics. Fine. We can call it waking hours, though it is both. My waking hours don't really change according to the clock. I go to sleep about the same time on the clock whether we're in DST or ST. I want more time during daylight after work. Before work, it's not practical because I start work shortly after rising for the day, regardless of DST or ST. I usually wake between 6-7AM. Breakfast, 3 S's. I start working ~8AM, and stop working between 5-6PM. Having more hours in front of work doens't help me gain enough hours before work. And nothing is open that early anyway. When I get off at 5PM, I still have several hours I can get things done before sunset.

The point is still that zero people other than Lawyers, democrats, and blondes, think that DST increases the portion of daylight hours in a 24 hour period. And, one's circumstances drives the preference. Your preferences aren't convenient to me, and mine aren't convenient to you.
    It's not mere semantics. Morning/pre-work daylight hours are useful to me, and I make use of them. I suspect that most people who argue for more evening daylight hours make little to no use of their pre-work hours, daylight or otherwise.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You are not alone, but society has decided to do it after work hours. Go look at a new gun before work, go to a public range before work, go to your kids extracurricular activities before work. Not happening. If central standard time was in place none of those things typically are happening at 6am.
    I never said that pre-work hours were useful for commercial/retail purposes.

Many of my extracurricular school activities took place, in fact, before the school day.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Serious question for all of you. I am curious how individual sleep habits affect folks. I thankfully sleep very well while being a night owl and a morning deadhead. Seems logical I would like later sunsets relative to the work day.

I suspect those that dislike the current time structure (leaving out the changing of clocks) are early risers and or short sleepers.

Does this seem true to you?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I never said that pre-work hours were useful for commercial/retail purposes.

Many of my extracurricular school activities took place, in fact, before the school day.
    If you wish to share, what activities would you do? I do not know anyone that uses pre-work hours for other than pre-work work, exercise, or reading, maybe a little gardening in summer…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Serious question for all of you. I am curious how individual sleep habits affect folks. I thankfully sleep very well while being a night owl and a morning deadhead. Seems logical I would like later sunsets relative to the work day.

I suspect those that dislike the current time structure (leaving out the changing of clocks) are early risers and or short sleepers.

I usually sleep from about 8 p.m. to 3:30 or 4:00 a.m.. When I'm working through the week, I generally sign in to work around 4:30 a.m. and work until 4 p.m., so it's not like I'm doing yard work in the mornings, and honestly after a 12 hour work day, I'm not too motivated in the evenings. On my days off though, having to wait what seems like forever for it to get light enough to work out in the yard is what I don't like.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I usually sleep from about 8 p.m. to 3:30 or 4:00 a.m.. When I'm working through the week, I generally sign in to work around 4:30 a.m. and work until 4 p.m., so it's not like I'm doing yard work in the mornings, and honestly after a 12 hour work day, I'm not too motivated in the evenings. On my days off though, having to wait what seems like forever for it to get light enough to work out in the yard is what I don't like.
    How did you get on this schedule? Always been this way? I know you were not in bed at 8pm back in the Fridays era...

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It's not mere semantics. Morning/pre-work daylight hours are useful to me, and I make use of them. I suspect that most people who argue for more evening daylight hours make little to no use of their pre-work hours, daylight or otherwise.
    Most people adjust their get-up time based on their start-work time. They get up as late as possible allowing time to take a dump and shower and maybe eat something and then go to work. Free time is good, and for most people their free time is after work. I know you are one of the loud minority that want free time before work but I'm just explaining why that is less popular.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If you wish to share, what activities would you do? I do not know anyone that uses pre-work hours for other than pre-work work, exercise, or reading, maybe a little gardening in summer
    Are these not valid, productive uses of pre-work daylight?

In my case, I take a daily, sunlight walk for about an hour. Being able to do that prior to work is incredibly beneficial both to my general health and to my work productivity.

In other scenarios, I may wish to mow my lawn before starting work. Or go play tennis before church. Or any number of things.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Right, clocks and time are man made, therefore it is not a violation of nature to adjust that man made equipment to better utilize the sun for the most people.
    I’m curious how this allows people to “utilize the sun for most people” better? There’s a reason pedestrian accidents go up when dst changes. A lot of people don’t want the sun up at 9pm and staying daylight until 10-10:30pm

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

I sleep 7 - 9 hours a night, usually right in the middle of that range. I use the daylight cycle and my circadian rhythm to determine when I fall asleep, and I wake without an alarm. With proper sleep hygiene and alignment with one's circadian rhythm, one will naturally fall asleep within a couple hours of sunset, and wake once the body is sufficiently rested.

I tend to wake up around 6:00 or 6:30. Depending on time of year, fasting schedule, etc., that range could be 5:00 or 5:30 to maybe as late as 7:00.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Are these not valid, productive uses of pre-work daylight?

In my case, I take a daily, sunlight walk for about an hour. Being able to do that prior to work is incredibly beneficial both to my general health and to my work productivity.

In other scenarios, I may wish to mow my lawn before starting work. Or go play tennis before church. Or any number of things.
    They are completely valid for you, but not a priority for most people…

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Most people adjust their get-up time based on their start-work time. They get up as late as possible allowing time to take a dump and shower and maybe eat something and then go to work. Free time is good and for most people their free time is after work. I know you are one of the loud minority that want free time before work but I'm just explaining why that is less popular.
    "Most people"?

[Citation Needed]

And even if true (which, without evidence, it isn't), is doing so actually beneficial to one's health?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    There is a sort of need for time zones. And if we keep them, maybe we should realign them according to the physics instead of so many political concerns.

Or, I think ultimately UTC might be a good alternative, then each locale decides for itself when the workdays start. I get the challenges of world interactions. I think technology could help with that. UTC wasn't feasible 100 years ago. And is probably not feasible now. But will be someday.
    Time zones are here to stay because there is a definite need for them. Physics plays a role in approximating the centerline of the zones but the ragged edges are most appropriately determined by convenience factors like political lines, state or even county lines, and also business lines, where people buy stuff and or work.
    It will always be about trying to satisfy everybody which is a well-known impossibility.

UTC is a pipe dream that will likely never satisfy enough people to work anywhere.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    They are completely valid for you, but not a priority for most people…
    In your opinion. Early risers and early to bed people like us definitely do not appreciate dst. We have to use blackout curtains to even get close to try keep the pattern.

Having animals on a routine based roughly on time/daylight and that messes them up for a week or so. They don’t understand why we are up earlier/later than normal.

Top Bottom