• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I mean if you want more daylight move south. Changing man made clocks doesn’t change the suns function nor the planets orientation. No one “gains” more daylight. It’s the same tiny amount as always in the winter.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If it wasn’t for shifting the clocks there are months out of the year that sunrise would be ridiculously late.
    I think I understand what you are saying now.

DST isn't the changing of the clocks. It is the time after clocks have been shifted forwards, so your original statement didn't make much sense to me.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Trump supports not changing the clocks.
    This is the middle of three options:

Best: permanent standard time
    Second Best: permanent daylight saving time
    Worst: continual clock changing

Permanent DST would move Indiana, which geographically should probably be on US Central time, permanently to Atlantic time - a full two hours shifted from our actual daylight cycle. Permanent US Eastern time would be far more appropriate for Indiana, given our geography/daylight cycle; but even a permanent time two hours removed from what makes sense according to the sun is better than changing the clocks twice a year, every year.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If it wasn’t for dst we would have sunrise at 9-10am
    [Citation Needed]

DST shifts sunrise later, not earlier. At no time through the year is sunrise as late as "9-10AM", either based on standard time throughout the year, or when DST is applied. The only way for a sunrise as late as "9-10AM" to happen would be for DST to be applied throughout the year, in which case we would see a sunrise of 9:05AM in mid-December.

Standard time sunrise range: 5:15AM (mid-July) - 8:05AM (mid-December)
    Daylight Saving time sunrise range: 7:02 (DST start, March) - 7:48AM (DST end, November)

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    [Citation Needed]

DST shifts sunrise later, not earlier. At no time through the year is sunrise as late as "9-10AM", either based on standard time throughout the year, or when DST is applied. The only way for a sunrise as late as "9-10AM" to happen would be for DST to be applied throughout the year, in which case we would see a sunrise of 9:05AM in mid-December.

Standard time sunrise range: 5:15AM (mid-July) - 8:05AM (mid-December)
    Daylight Saving time sunrise range: 7:02 (DST start, March) - 7:48AM (DST end, November)

There you go again. Applying facts to the discussion.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    There you go again. Applying facts to the discussion.
    I think I was quoting the wrong time values. (Need more coffee.)

DST sunrise range: 6:15AM (mid-June) - 8:01AM (DST start, May) / 8:16AM (DST end, Nov).

Without DST, that range would be 5:15AM (mid-June) - 8:05AM (mid-December).

The point still stands: standard time never results in a sunrise of "9-10AM".

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

DST sunrise range: 6:15AM (mid-June) - 8:01AM (DST start, May) / 8:16AM (DST end, Nov).

So central time would result in a 9am sunrise

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I mean if you want more daylight move south. Changing man made clocks doesn’t change the suns function nor the planets orientation. No one “gains” more daylight. It’s the same tiny amount as always in the winter.
    Meh. That's a straw man. No one thinks that. When people say they get more daylight hours, they're talking about in relation to their work schedules. Also, you don't get more daylight hours by moving south. The daylight/night hours are more evenly split the closer you get to the equator.

But we're not talking about the portion of a 24 hour period that is daylight. This is all about people's work schedules and when daylight hours are most useful to them, particularly when the weather is good. Timekeeping and work schedules are 100% a social construct. It is 0% about a belief that DST bestows upon us more daylight during a 24 hour period.

Different factors drive people's preference about societal timekeeping. If you're retired, or maybe self-employed, maybe a farmer where absolute time matters more than the clock, whatever, your preference is driven by other factors than those who work days for a company and get off work about the same time every weekday afternoon.

We've been arguing about this for ~9 years on INGO. We'll probably argue about it until we stop shifting clocks.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

Like I said. Applying facts to the discussion...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is the middle of three options:

Best: permanent standard time
    Second Best: permanent daylight saving time
    Worst: continual clock changing

Permanent DST would move Indiana, which geographically should probably be on US Central time, permanently to Atlantic time - a full two hours shifted from our actual daylight cycle. Permanent US Eastern time would be far more appropriate for Indiana, given our geography/daylight cycle; but even a permanent time two hours removed from what makes sense according to the sun is better than changing the clocks twice a year, every year.

You have the first two backwards. :):

Your circumstances drive your preference. My circumstances drive mine. I sleep well either way. But I like having more hours of daylight after I'm done with work to enjoy outdoors. Most people do. But I'm not about to dictate what your priorities must be. It's just that if it's a choice of shifting the clock to permanent ST or DT, you're probably gonna lose that one. Unless the WEF gets their way and there is no longer an outdoor leisure to be had by non-elites.

:tinfoil:

Top Bottom