• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    So I stopped in a local pawn shop that I occasionally visit. But I always check to see if they took in a gun on a good deal. Anyways, today I saw that they had a Henry .22 lever action. Not a golden boy, but all blued steel. Looks on the older side, but I’m not sure of the age. They want $175 for it. Here’s the bad: the trigger has been snapped off. More bad news: the rear sight is missing and and the rear dovetail is boogered to HELL. The pawn shop said it was damaged last time they got robbed...

So here’s my question to the gunsmiths around here: Is the damaged rear sight dovetail a dealbreaker? How difficult would it be to correct the damage and at what cost? Im assuming the broken trigger is an easy fix.

Thank you.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If it was made in Brooklyn I'd stay away from it, Henry would probably not warranty it and parts would probably be expensive. Brooklyn made ones are the older ones

Personally I'd stay away from the Henry 22s in general but in that condition and price......nooope

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If it was damaged in a break-in, it should have been covered by insurance. This is a weird story.

That's definitely no bargain as they have it priced. I think that it's worth less than $100.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    That seems like a lot of money for a messed up rifle. It will probably cost as much to get it back into shape as it did to buy it at $175. I'd say $100 max offer to buy it and agree with CampingJosh above. Best of luck.

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    Wow, I’m surprised by all this! I guess I placed a higher value on the gun than it deserved. But, that is why I turned to INGO. I will pass on it then, they were firm on price when I talked to them.

I agree that the story is fishy. I made a comment that it didn’t make sense and the lady got fairly defensive. I dropped it after that. You would think if the place was robbed, they would snatch up all the guns as well. But I guess they just decided to beat this one up and leave it...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds like the used that one as a pry bar to get at more valuable stuff. I’d think of it as a parts only gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Wow, I’m surprised by all this! I guess I placed a higher value on the gun than it deserved.

Unfortunately a lot of people think that for Henry. Put a lot more value on something than it's worth cause their name and possibly marketing campaign. It's a pot metal gun at the end of the day

It's not a 39A, BL22, or 94/22 by any means

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately a lot of people think that for Henry. Put a lot more value on something than it's worth cause their name and possibly marketing campaign. It's a pot metal gun at the end of the day

It's not a 39A, BL22, or 94/22 by any means

^ Lots is people think that too and the Henry 22s have proven to be durable and reliable.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754401&highlight=#/topics/754401?page=1

There is article somewhere to go along with that.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    ^ Lots is people think that too and the Henry 22s have proven to be durable and reliable.

People seem to have two opinions of Henry rimfires. Either they are "pot metal crap" or they are a good reliable rimfire lever gun. Truth is they are a reliable lever gun that happens to be made of Zamak 5 castings (or "pot metal" if you want to use that term). I think most of us would like them to be all steel instead of painted zinc alloy. Many wouldn't want to pay the price increase for something that, in the end, didn't make much difference when it came to reliability.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    People seem to have two opinions of Henry rimfires. Either they are "pot metal crap" or they are a good reliable rimfire lever gun. Truth is they are a reliable lever gun that happens to be made of Zamak 5 castings (or "pot metal" if you want to use that term). I think most of us would like them to be all steel instead of painted zinc alloy. Many wouldn't want to pay the price increase for something that, in the end, didn't make much difference when it came to reliability.

Very well stated!

mikem1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Yes Good idea to pass on that they can get offended all they want it is not worth more than $75 ! The trigger alone will cost $100 to have fixed .

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754401&highlight=#/topics/754401?page=1

There is article somewhere to go along with that.

Some yes some no. I know people with Henrys that either work or they don't and have been back several times and still suck
    '
    20 years from now when the Henrys start really failing, and the 39As and BL22s are 60+ years old and still taking everything you can throw at them......

Hi Points to some people have been proven durable and reliable too. And Jennings, Jimmenez, Davis, Raven, etc.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    My wife & I both have golden boys, one bought, one won at DU dinner, I like to look at them (we have a thing for brass frames), but don't shoot them hardly ever.
    The old Marlin 39A I've had for 50 years is still my go to squirrel gun.
    I picked up another Marlin about 30 years ago as a parts gun, ran into a stock for it so it's a shooter too.

I agree with the guys, parts gun if you can pick it up for pocket change, and you are a gunsmith or own other like rifles.
    I'd pass on it entirely if you don't have a specific use for it.
    Even if they sold it for $50 that's $50 sitting around doing nothing or $200 to get a beat up shooter.

Top Bottom