GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    FWIW, watching the news just now, waiting for the Trump show to begin, they had a map up showing the 22 states that are in a position to begin the president’s Phase 1 for reopening. Indiana is one of them.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    FWIW, watching the news just now, waiting for the Trump show to begin, they had a map up showing the 22 states that are in a position to begin the president’s Phase 1 for reopening. Indiana is one of them.

That is great!
    Minnesota is still going up in deaths but that is because of Minneapolis. The rest of the state might be OK to open some businesses.

I wish some place would go ahead and do it. It would be interesting to see what happens and to see how much asymptomatic herd immunity we actually have.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah. I'm in favor of opening up what we can before we lose the recipe.

Old folks and impaired folks can stay at home and hopefully find support from others for securing their basic necessities.

But, without full testing capability, we are flying through the fog without IFR instrumentation.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah. I'm in favor of opening up what we can before we lose the recipe.

Old folks and impaired folks can stay at home and hopefully find support from others for securing their basic necessities.

But, without full testing capability, we are flying through the fog without IFR instrumentation.

And we may never have that recipe again. ;)

[video=youtube;iplpKwxFH2I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iplpKwxFH2I[/video]

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    IHME says Indiana hit its peak within the past 9 days, but we shouldn’t release any orders until May 25. Local Fairbanks model says peak still a couple weeks away for Marion County, and the rest of the state not for almost another month.

These models are junk, and we need to stop basing decisions on them.

Last edited:

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    IHME says Indiana hit it’s peak within the past 9 days, but we shouldn’t release any orders until May 25. Local Fairbanks model says peak still a couple weeks away for Marion County, and the rest of the state not for almost another month.

Base the decisions on the model, move past the model, and juat say, "well, we still expect the worst to come" . Any excuse is a good excuse to some of them. I'll believe the newly taken power goes away when I see it, at this point.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My youngest who is an ex pro wrestler turned actor told me an interesting covid story today, he lives in Atlanta. At the height of the food run he was buying supplies and saw a man struggling to reach the last can of beets high on a shelf, he walked over and picked the can off the shelf and looked at the man. He said the look on the man's face was something between hate and despair, but then he handed the beets to the man and watched the expression soften. Gently, as he has a powerful voice he told the man "there's more to life than a can of beets".:)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I saw some folks refusing to social distance today, arrogant and didn't give a damn.
    And the media says they have twice the infection rate of others.
    Same ones that can't seem to graduate HS.

Open the state, the stupid aint gonna change.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So which areas or counties have consistently been going down for, AT LEAST, 14 days straight?
    This is regardless of peoples beliefs and/or opinions OR, unfortunately, hardships. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

They qualify.... open them first but keep the other closed until they do qualify. :dunno:

Sounds pretty scientific to me.
    But everyone go ahead and add their personal ordeals and the money loss and the kids are bugging them and suicides and yada yada.....
    It shouldn't be that hard to figure. Really.

After the 14 day decrease, I would add another 2 weeks to be safe. But that's just me.

You all know why the 14 day delay thing is so important, right? Key word...DELAY.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    You all know why the 14 day delay thing is so important, right? Key word...DELAY.

I think at this point they’ve realized it’s generally about 7 days max for symptoms. So if you want some objective standard like 7 days of decreasing deaths/cases, I think that’s reasonable.

The problem with these models is they’re updated every couple of weeks as the data changes. That would imply they’re inherently unable to predict the future. We are making decisions with long-lasting implications based on models that are unable, by their very nature, to make those kind of estimations.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I think at this point they’ve realized it’s generally about 7 days max for symptoms. So if you want some objective standard like 7 days of decreasing deaths/cases, I think that’s reasonable.

The problem with these models is they’re updated every couple of weeks as the data changes. That would imply they’re inherently unable to predict the future. We are making decisions with long-lasting implications based on models that are unable, by their very nature, to make those kind of estimations.

Isn't this the whole point though?

It's new. Everything about it is new. They are running studies in a sterile environment but there hasn't been any sufficient time to draw conclusions from them yet. That's just not how studies work. So ya, they're throwing data out there based on what they know, when they know it.

It doesn't mean we have to like it. I know they don't like it either. But I keep seen that people are holding them to the figures they were putting out in the beginning and when those figure change, they are accused of lying and cheating just to get power or some conspiracy crap. Whatever is going around now. Those wild stories are changing too.

I do see a few governors and mayors throwing power around and they will pay for that..... dearly.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

It's new. Everything about it is new. They are running studies in a sterile environment but there hasn't been any sufficient time to draw conclusions from them yet. That's just not how studies work. So ya, they're throwing data out there based on what they know, when they know.

My argument isn’t with changing the models with new information. My argument is that the very necessity of having to continuously update them is proof they are NOT predictive of the future. We need to stop basing important decisions based on the belief they are. We can’t keep the country closed and people locked up because “the models say the sky is about to fall.”

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I Blame China!
    100% blame China.

They did this and it sucks. Not just here but all over this planet. It also sucks for the Chinese people that had nothing to do with any of this. And the Chinese people in other countries like ours that are and will be blamed just because they're Chinese.

I will say the same thing I have always said about when 911 hit.
    I don't care what administration or president was in charge when this happened, I feel bad for them. I felt bad for Bush with 911 and I feel bad for Trump to have to deal with this crap. It just fell in their lap. (now for the 911 guys to say Bush actually knocked the towers down) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My argument isn’t with changing the models with new information. My argument is that the very necessity of having to continuously update them is proof they are NOT predictive of the future. We need to stop basing important decisions based on the belief they are. We can’t keep the country closed and people locked up because “the models say the sky is about to fall.”

To be fair - Nothing is great at predicting the future. Some people are doing their best to try to do just that and it ain't easy. Yes, I think there are a few that are scumbags and playing the system for their agenda. However I think most are trying to protect the stupid people from themselves. Nobody is doing it perfectly and I doubt if we could do it perfectly either. None of the governors want their state to be the next Italy so they might be being overly cautious. Somebody needs to make the first move and implement their plan - which they better have been working on for quite a while now. Pretty soon somebody will open it up a little and if they were not dumb****s and actually have a good plan it will become very interesting.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

It's new. Everything about it is new. They are running studies in a sterile environment but there hasn't been any sufficient time to draw conclusions from them yet. That's just not how studies work. So ya, they're throwing data out there based on what they know, when they know it.

It doesn't mean we have to like it. I know they don't like it either. But I keep seen that people are holding them to the figures they were putting out in the beginning and when those figure change, they are accused of lying and cheating just to get power or some conspiracy crap. Whatever is going around now. Those wild stories are changing too.

I do see a few governors and mayors throwing power around and they will pay for that..... dearly.

So we shut down our entire way of life for what we don't know under force of government?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Do people still go on Facebook? And why again? :dunno:

(other than funny pix and vids)

With the presumption that you are a male, that is spoken like someone that has no understanding of the female sex. It is where the female members of families share family news and photos of kids and celebrations. Many families no longer even live in the same state today and social media allows them to stay connected. It is believed by many that the Trump 2016 team won a lot of female votes on FB and they are hell bent that doesn't happen again.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    IHME says Indiana hit its peak within the past 9 days, but we shouldn’t release any orders until May 25. Local Fairbanks model says peak still a couple weeks away for Marion County, and the rest of the state not for almost another month.

Manipulating numbers in order to create a situation. Manufacturing or prolonging a crisis?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom