• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Those who know me know that I have only 2 guns (M&P9 and AR SBR) and that my focus is on defense. Therefore I prefer to set them up for success whenever possible. First and foremost this means becoming proficient with them, so I invest heavily in the software side of the house. But I'm also a gear geek and enjoy looking for products to enhance my capabilities.

Over the past few years the concept of red dots on pistols has evolved and made the jump from gamer guns to defensive pistols. I believe a large part of this is due to the Trijicon RMR style sights that are small enough to mount on pistols without being unwieldy.

My first exposure with such a concept came using a Glock17L with a Vortex Razor. You can read about that here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/220217-review_vortex_razor_red_dot.html

But such a setup was still more of a "game gun" and I was curious what an RMR'd Glock or M&P with a milled slide and back-up iron sights was like.

One big pusher of this concept is Gabe Suarez and the folks at Suarez International. Their custom firearm branch, TSD, has been putting RMRs on Glocks, M&Ps, and Sigs for a while now. They also offer training courses specifically for users of such setups. My second exposure to the concept was at a Suarez International Low-Light Gunfighting course back in October of this year. You can read about the RMR'd Glock here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...low_light_gunfighting_10_19_20_2012_pics.html

The other two companies that I am aware of that produce such setups are ATEi out of Michigan ( http://ateiguns.com/ ) and Bowie Tactical Concepts out of Ohio ( Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page ).

Looking over the various options at each website I started to again get the itch to drop an RMR on my M&P (which requires the optic, slide milling, slide refinishing, and new iron sights). But it isn't cheap and I still didn't feel like I had enough time behind one to really determine if I wanted to drop the coin.

Enter INGO and its fantastic members.

The other day I made a passing remark about this itch and Rookie generously offered to let me test drive his RMR'd M&P9 that was customized by Bowie Tactical Concepts. Sweet!

So today I met with him and picked it up. (on a side note, Rookie was on his way to having surgery so please keep him in your thoughts and prayers-- he should be back on INGO soon)

Now I've only had it for a few hours at this point, but here are some initial observations in no particular order:

• I'm reminded that the RMR is MUCH smaller in person than it is in pictures. This optic is tiny.
    • This model RMR has an 8MOA dot (I think), is battery powered, and is always on. I'll have to do more reading on this specific model but it looks caveman simple.
    • David Bowie did a FANTASTIC job on the milling and refining. The optic looks like its part of the slide itself. I'm really impressed.
    • The nickel boron (?) coating on this M&P is sexy. It's subdued "not-quite-silver, not-quite-gold" finish looks great.
    • As you'll see in the pics the RMR is mounted to the rear, while the rear iron sight sits just in front of it. Bowie is the only one that does this IIRC. So far I don't like this configuration as well as when the iron sight is at the very back, but I'll need to run it to really form an opinion either way.
    • The gun fits my Raven Phantom holster just fine. If I was going to run this full-time I would take 2 minutes and a file and remove just a bit of material that hits the RMR.
    • Doing a few dry runs I'm reminded that there's a learning curve to these things.
    I look forward to getting out on the range as soon as possible. I'll be sure to update this thread with my impressions after shooting it as well as more pictures and videos.

For now here is what I snapped this afternoon.

20121218_142158.jpg

20121218_142233.jpg

20121218_142241.jpg

20121218_142359.jpg

20121218_142434.jpg

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Anyone else out there ever considered a red dot for their EDC/CCW/defensive handgun?

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I found that time spent with dry fire/manipulation practice before I hit the range made the transition very smooth by the time I fired the first round. Although I didn't realize it I had been holding the pistol muzzle high on the presentation and dropping the font sight into the rear when close to full extension. The RMR didn't work well like this so I had to get the slide leveled out much earlier to pick up the dot before full extension. It wasn't a major adjustment and once I got used to it there was no looking back. I'm faster and more accurate with mine as proven on multiple shooting courses over the past several months.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok so I've defined my goals for my time with the RMR'd M&P. Here is what I'd like to be able to determine:

• Is carrying an RMR-equipped pistol any more of a burden? Heavier? Larger?
    • Is my long-distance accuracy enhanced?
    • Is it difficult to switch from a front sight focus to a target focus?
    • Am I slower on my first round hits?
    • Are normal manipulations hindered?
    To find the answers to these questions I'm going to:

• Carry the RMR'd M&P in my Raven Phantom.
    • Run the same "50-yard engagement" scenario that I used when testing my Glock 19 to my M&P9.
    • Engage steel targets at distances out to 200 yards.
    • Run several drills incorporating draws from the holster.
    • Set up and run various malfunction drills.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Out of surgery. NO MORE LEG PAIN!

As far as rear sight in the from, I like it, but I don't have anything to base it on which is why I want Phylodog to run mine and let me know his opinion.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    How secure is the sight?

I have found that thru normal day to day carrying, I have sometimes bumped into things. And I've been curious how hard of a "knock" that red dot could take.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How secure is the sight?

It feels like its been cemented onto the slide.

The optic itself is made from forged aluminum (same stuff as your AR lower). So it feels like part of the gun, rather than a slapped-on 'toy'.

RMR-Features5.jpg

If you wanna watch a guy bang one on a table check out this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmDzqHLcJVk[/ame]

ETA: Ok that's not the video I was thinking of. It's still a good video, but not the one where a guy is racking his slide off a table over and over again using the RMR face. I'll post when I find it. Suffice to say-- it's solid.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's pretty secure. If you look at the top of the sight, it's rounded in the center. This is designed to take a knock without damaging the lense.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It feels cemented because it's got lock tite on the screws. Also there's two **** (sorry, didn't realize that was a no no word, so I'll say posts) milled into the slide that gives it a tight fit. Esrice, if you have blue lock tite, take it off and look at it.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    How secure is the sight?

I have found that thru normal day to day carrying, I have sometimes bumped into things. And I've been curious how hard of a "knock" that red dot could take.

If you're around Escrice, feel free to take it for a test ride.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Esrice, if you have blue lock tite, take it off and look at it.

I'll take your word for it. I'm not gonna go diggin' around. :D

Doing a bit more research it appears this is the RM02. That means it is LED powered, auto-adjusts for brightness, will stay on constantly for ~2 years, and has a 6.5MOA dot.

Trijicon also offer the RM01 that is the same thing with a 3.25MOA dot. Initially I think I might like that option a bit better, but that may just come from my experience with red dots on carbines.

Some RMR models are also LED but allow the user to adjust the brightness manually. These would be the RM06 (3.25MOA dot) and RM07 (6.5MOA dot). They have buttons on the side of the housing so that the user can adjust brightness up or down, or off entirely. Interesting to note that they also have an "auto-adjustment" setting.

Normally with carbines I don't like "auto-adjust" but with pistols I'm not sure. I'd hate to draw my pistol and find that I accidentally turned the dot off or its too dim/bright. While I realize this is why we have back-up irons it would sure to be nice to use the technology that I paid for and practiced with.

The RM03, 04, 05, 05G, and 08A models are all dual-illumination with various reticle sizes, shapes, and colors. These don't use batteries at all, but instead utilize tritium and fiber optics to power the optic. To me these look frail (the light collector is right on top) and the tritium would dim after 10-12 years and need replacement. So those are out entirely.

What models are you guys running?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Pretty sure it's the RMR07...

I'll check.

Nope, I could swear mine has an 8 MOA fixed. Gabe suggests that size.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ok so I've defined my goals for my time with the RMR'd M&P. Here is what I'd like to be able to determine:

• Is carrying an RMR-equipped pistol any more of a burden? Heavier? Larger?
    • No more of a burden. I carry mine all of the time in complete comfort.
    • Is my long-distance accuracy enhanced?
    • It should be. Mine was. 100 yrd hits on 66% IPSC are not a problem.
    • Is it difficult to switch from a front sight focus to a target focus?
    • No.
    • Am I slower on my first round hits?
    • Maybe, at first.
    • Are normal manipulations hindered?
    • No, as a matter of fact, I fel they are enhanced.
    To find the answers to these questions I'm going to:

• Carry the RMR'd M&P in my Raven Phantom.
    • Run the same "50-yard engagement" scenario that I used when testing my Glock 19 to my M&P9.
    • Engage steel targets at distances out to 200 yards.
    • Run several drills incorporating draws from the holster.
    • Set up and run various malfunction drills.

Mine in bold, but you probably know all that already.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Mine is the RM07. I was worried that the auto adjust wouldn't react (or not react quickly enough) to the light coming from my X300. My suspicion was correct and mine will not adjust with the light from my X300 which causes the dot to wash out in some situations. It's not the end of the world since the iron sight are still there but I like being able to set it how I want it ahead of time.

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

Evan, I think you'll find the smaller dots don't work all that well on a HG optic. The 6.5MOA is a decent size. I looked through a 3.5MOA held out at arms length and it seemed way too small for quick work.

The only way my manipulations are hindered is when I make an effort not to get fingerprints on the lens when removing the slide, lol.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Anyone else out there ever considered a red dot for their EDC/CCW/defensive handgun?

Not for an EDC, but I've got an extra G17 barrel laying around, and I've been giving serious thought to getting a slide milled for an RMR and building up a second upper half to play with. I like the concept, but based on my experience running an Optima 2000 on a G17C back in the day (GSSF Unlimited gun), automatic brightness adjustment on an RDS is a deal-breaker.

Top Bottom