Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I don't know how relevant this is. He just says "have given some thought" and "according to source", but here it is anyway.

Have you heard anything about the Colts and Jackson @chipbennett?
    I would say that "giv[ing] some thought" to trying to sign LJ is, at a minimum, due diligence. If the Colts are going to spend a RD1 pick on a QB this season, it's not that much more costly to give up a second RD1 pick. The question is, what would the vet contract/cap hit be, and can LJ stay healthy? He's an MVP QB, when he's on the field.

So, they absolutely should give some thought to signing him, especially since the group of 4 QBs at the top of the 2023 draft class is good, but not stellar.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    If the backup QB is playing, we have bigger problems. I haven't looked at contract numbers, but I suspect that Minshew will basically be a cheaper version of Nick Foles - which, IMHO, is fine.

Yeah that wasn’t an indictment on Minshew. He’s been a serviceable starter at times in his career.

Just an overall, macro view of the Colts: We’re either going to be starting a mediocre backup or starting a rookie QB from a mediocre draft class.

Either way, we all just need to be prepared for another top 5 pick next year.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yeah that wasn’t an indictment on Minshew. He’s been a serviceable starter at times in his career.

Just an overall, macro view of the Colts: We’re either going to be starting a mediocre backup or starting a rookie QB from a mediocre draft class.

Either way, we all just need to be prepared for another top 5 pick next year.
    That's the likely scenario. I think there is a (far, far) outside chance the Colts try to sign Lamar; otherwise, yes: we are looking at a season in which the Colts draft their unproven QB and see if he pans out.

I don't see the Colts sitting a rookie QB. If they draft a QB in RD1, I think they throw that QB into the fire as the starter.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    That's the likely scenario. I think there is a (far, far) outside chance the Colts try to sign Lamar; otherwise, yes: we are looking at a season in which the Colts draft their unproven QB and see if he pans out.

I don't see the Colts sitting a rookie QB. If they draft a QB in RD1, I think they throw that QB into the fire as the starter.

Say what you want about Ballard, but he’s a survivor. He’s here for at least another theee or four years right? If Irsay didn’t fire him this off-season, then no way he fires him after next season. Everybody already knows next year is basically a wash. Even if he did fire him, then what? Whatever new GM would be stuck with a new head coach he didn’t hire and potentially a rookie quarterback he didn’t pick.

Or say the scenario plays out like I’ve said all along, Ballard’s qb choice won’t be there at 4 and he trades down. Then it’s the same song and dance all over again next year. Another off-season of kicking the can down the road.

The only real hope we have is if Irsay doesn’t give Ballard an option. Jim tells him straight up that he HAS to take a quarterback with that #4 pick this year.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    An owner wanting to take a swing on a franchise quarterback vs an owner hiring his buddy from cable tv…. I wonder where those could possibly be considered different….hmm can’t quite put my finger on it. :dunno:
    Naaa, it’s the same BS from the same people, people that think they can watch a game on TV and know more than the guy that owns the team…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This was interesting, the viewing habits we have are ending as to where AFC games are…

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Say what you want about Ballard, but he’s a survivor. He’s here for at least another theee or four years right? If Irsay didn’t fire him this off-season, then no way he fires him after next season. Everybody already knows next year is basically a wash. Even if he did fire him, then what? Whatever new GM would be stuck with a new head coach he didn’t hire and potentially a rookie quarterback he didn’t pick.

Or say the scenario plays out like I’ve said all along, Ballard’s qb choice won’t be there at 4 and he trades down. Then it’s the same song and dance all over again next year. Another off-season of kicking the can down the road.

The only real hope we have is if Irsay doesn’t give Ballard an option. Jim tells him straight up that he HAS to take a quarterback with that #4 pick this year.
    A QB will be there at 4. That's a given. Those top 4 QBs are, more or less, a wash in terms of guaranteed NFL success/potential. So, I think it's possible/likely that the calculus is now and has always been:

1. Draft one of the top 4 QBs with the 4 pick
    2. Sign Lamar Jackson
    3. Trade back from 4 and draft one of the "second tier" QBs (Hooker, Bennet, etc.)

Those are the only real options. The team almost certainly will acquire their starting QB in one of those methods. I think there's next to no chance the Colts were ever going to test the 2023 QB FA/trade market.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would say that "giv[ing] some thought" to trying to sign LJ is, at a minimum, due diligence. If the Colts are going to spend a RD1 pick on a QB this season, it's not that much more costly to give up a second RD1 pick. The question is, what would the vet contract/cap hit be, and can LJ stay healthy? He's an MVP QB, when he's on the field.

So, they absolutely should give some thought to signing him, especially since the group of 4 QBs at the top of the 2023 draft class is good, but not stellar.
    Not to mention, an unknown value as a qb in the NFL. LJ’s value is a little more certain, notwithstanding injuries.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom