• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don’t think it is. Just saying some people might feel a little weird that it was Luck’s number.
    I get it. But, there are only so many available numbers and it's not like it was retired in his honor. Too many people get hung up on things that just don't matter

So since you stay more in tune to this stuff than I do could you give us a recap of who all they picked up over the weekend and the needs that were filled?
    Based on what I've read here it sounds like it could shape up to be an exciting time

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I hate it, that’s a quitter number in Indy. LOL
    Well. Maybe a bit of truth there. But it’s not the number 12’s fault that Luck chose it and then quit. Poor 12 is gonna have a hell of a time convincing Indy that it didn’t get worn voluntarily, that it had no choice. I’ve spoken to 12 about it and zhe said zhe worries that people will start buying eggs in groups of 13 now. That people will stop calling it Dozen. I may not forgive luck. But I can forgive 12.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well. Maybe a bit of truth there. But it’s not the number 12’s fault that Luck chose it and then quit. Poor 12 is gonna have a hell of a time convincing Indy that it didn’t get worn voluntarily, that it had no choice. I’ve spoken to 12 about it and zhe said zhe worries that people will start buying eggs in groups of 13 now. That people will stop calling it Dozen. I may not forgive luck. But I can forgive 12.
    Well done…

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So since you stay more in tune to this stuff than I do could you give us a recap of who all they picked up over the weekend and the needs that were filled?
    Based on what I've read here it sounds like it could shape up to be an exciting time

The overriding theme of this years draft, even more so than Ballard’s drafts in the past, was betting on the high traits. Getting guys that have the highest ceilings.

I guess I’ll go one by one.

Pick 53: WR Alec Pierce. Big, fast receiver. They think he’ll pair well opposite of Michael Pittman Jr. He was mainly used in vertical routes in college so he needs to develop a full route tree. High floor, high ceiling athlete. His favorite receiver is Jordy Nelson.

Side note: if they go 12 personnel in the red zone with two TE’s and two WR’s. It would be terrifying for defenses, and Matt Ryan is masterful at finding mismatches on defense and taking advantage of his receiver’s size (Julio Jones, Kyle Pitts).

Michael Pittman Jr - 6’4” 223lbs
    Alec Pierce - 6’3” 213lbs
    Mo Alie-Cox - 6’5” 267lbs
    Jelani Woods - 6’7” 270lbs

One of these guys is going to have a mismatch. No defense can cover that much size at one time.

One scout calls the pairing of Pittman and Pierce “Phi Talla Balla”

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Pick 73: TE Jelani Woods. The most athletic tight end that’s ever been tested. He scored a perfect 10/10 on the RAS (relative athletic score).

He is an absolute freak of nature. 6’7” 270lbs. Think Mo Ali-Cox size but way faster. The only tight end that ran faster than Woods at this years combine weighed 238lbs….

He actually came into college playing QB. So he’s certainly got that cerebral knowledge of the game. The story of how he converted to tight end is funny. His team was getting ready for a big rival game and they asked him to mimic their opponents best TE. He absolutely torched his team’s defense the whole practice.

Similar to Pierce, he isn’t a polished route runner, but the Colts are betting on Matt Ryan and their coaching staff to get him to reach his ceiling. You can teach route running. You can’t teach size and speed.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The overriding theme of this years draft, even more so than Ballard’s drafts in the past, was betting on the high traits. Getting guys that have the highest ceilings.

I guess I’ll go one by one.

Pick 53: WR Alec Pierce. Big, fast receiver. They think he’ll pair well opposite of Michael Pittman Jr. He was mainly used in vertical routes in college so he needs to develop a full route tree. High floor, high ceiling athlete. His favorite receiver is Jordy Nelson.

Side note: if they go 12 personnel in the red zone with two TE’s and two WR’s. It would be terrifying for defenses, and Matt Ryan is masterful at finding mismatches on defense and taking advantage of his receiver’s size (Julio Jones, Kyle Pitts).

Michael Pittman Jr - 6’4” 223lbs
    Alec Pierce - 6’3” 213lbs
    Mo Alie-Cox - 6’5” 267lbs
    Jelani Woods - 6’7” 270lbs

One of these guys is going to have a mismatch. No defense can cover that much size at one time.

One scout calls the pairing of Pittman and Pierce “Phi Talla Balla”
    I'm having dreams/visions of returning to the Manning offense days, when the same personnel package would stay on the field, yet could line up in just about every conceivable formation. Find the defensive mismatch, and run them over all the way down the field, never giving the defense the opportunity to sub in.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I'm having dreams/visions of returning to the Manning offense days, when the same personnel package would stay on the field, yet could line up in just about every conceivable formation. Find the defensive mismatch, and run them over all the way down the field, never giving the defense the opportunity to sub in.

Matt Ryan definitely has that ability. Johnathon Taylor and Nyheim Hines are about as dynamic a backfield as you can ask for. Reich has had a top 10 offense with three or four different starting QB’s.

If the Colts can get some consistent production from their wideouts, it could be very reminiscent of the Manning glory days. On paper at least, this team has deep playoff potential.

I’ll say it right now. Barring major injuries, if this team doesn’t win at least one playoff game, the season will be a total failure.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Matt Ryan definitely has that ability. Johnathon Taylor and Nyheim Hines are about as dynamic a backfield as you can ask for. Reich has had a top 10 offense with three or four different starting QB’s.

If the Colts can get some consistent production from their wideouts, it could be very reminiscent of the Manning glory days. On paper at least, this team has deep playoff potential.

I’ll say it right now. Barring major injuries, if this team doesn’t win at least one playoff game, the season will be a total failure.
    LT needs to work out, but: absolutely.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Continuing on the draft prospects.

Pick 77: OT Bernhard Raimann. Originally from Austria. First time he ever even saw a football was when he was 14 years old.

He initially went to Central Michigan to play tight end but he was moved to left tackle for his final two season. The competition he faced may not have been at the top collegiate level but he only allowed one sack in all of his career starts at left tackle.

He’s got shorter arms then most tackle prospects, but so does Braden Smith and he’s pretty darn good. He’s got really good short area quickness, perfect for matching up with the speedsters off the edge. Depending on who you ask, some people think by the end of training camp he may push Matt Pryor out of his starting job.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Pick 96: S Nick Cross. Continuing on the athletic theme of this year’s Colts draft, Cross had the fastest 40 time of any safety taken this year.

The Colts actually gave up next year’s 3rd round pick to move up and pick him. Apparently Ballard asked everyone in the room where he would be drafted if it was next year’s draft and they all said 2nd round.

This feels like a future roster piece. Khari Willis and Julian Blackmon have both shown great flashes but they also both dealt with injuries. They are also both nearing the end of their rookie contracts. Think of this as similar to the Colts drafting Bobby Okereke so they could let Anthony Walker go when his rookie contract was up.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Pick 159: DL Eric Johnson.

Once you get to this part of the draft, you’re really just looking for depth pieces. If they develop into something great then that’s a bonus, but once you get into rounds 4, 5, and beyond, realistically the best you can hope for is that they can be quality backups.

Johnson was a five year starter at Missouri State and never missed a single game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom