• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    41% for senior pastors? I'm pleased it's that high given the prevalence of liberal churches.
    I actually find it shocking that so many are wanting to mix beliefs from multiple religions together.
    I guess it's a part of the days to come as prophesied. Without a falling away and everything accepted how can a one world religion form?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I actually find it shocking that so many are wanting to mix beliefs from multiple religions together.
    I guess it's a part of the days to come as prophesied. Without a falling away and everything accepted how can a one world religion form?
    There are a lot of people who would rather be liked by men than please God....not that the part of the world that hates Christendom can ever be satisfied.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Our Sunday school lesson was from 2 Peter 3: 3-18.
    Very sobering look at the future. What is to come, and what a person should be looking at in their lives. A reminder of what is important, and what is not.
    Important passage to keep in mind.

In our Sunday School....given that I am the leader of our small group....current events ended up dominating the discussion, and I worked hard to exclude partisan (party) politics. Normally this doesn't happen, but events of the last few days were pretty easy to tie back to the Word which is what that time of the week is there for to begin with. Back to I Kings next week.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A lot of folks read Eph. 4:30 and wonder, "What does heck does it mean to grieve the Holy Spirit?"
    After watching Family Feud* tonight I now now exactly what.

There was a woman, who before answering the final questions, kept repeating in song, "Holy Spirit activate!"

:facepalm:

So now God is your little magic talisman you can call to win a freakin' game show?!

* It was on, my wife was watching, I was walking through the room.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    A lot of folks read Eph. 4:30 and wonder, "What does heck does it mean to grieve the Holy Spirit?"

There was a woman, who before answering the final questions, kept repeating in song, "Holy Spirit activate!"

So now God is your little magic talisman you can call to win a freakin' game show?!

The episode originally aired sept of 21.
    She has been memed to death since then. Surprised they’d replay that.
    Thankfully the Holy Spirit can not be memed to death.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Word Faith, baby.....seriously. That is the background/explanation.

This weird "little gods", "my words have power" baloney....the very idea that one can obligate God to do YOUR will by using an incantation.

Some people should be a little more careful with who they are claiming is controlled by their witchcraft.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was taught that when you push away the

That chapter is a good way to look at yourself and see where you stand.
    I often catch myself after and ask forgiveness.
    There is so much in that chapter that we should live by.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    What do you guys say to someone who has honored God their whole life, believes in God.....but is pissed off at God?

Can you be pissed off at God, and still get to heaven?

I love the Book of Job. I have read it countless times in my life. I have always tried to live life, kind of like Job. I am disgusted with myself at times, disgusted that I would not just trust God's plan........but I am a very stubborn man.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Pardon the interruption. This is the first I've opened the religious discussion thread and it's to discuss an observance concerning the prohibition of "Reverend" as a sort of title for clergy in some Christian sects.

Should I hold my breath, waiting for the harping about separation of church and state?

Christian Theological Seminary, ELCA, AME, Christian Methodist Episcopal, Episcopalian, Presbyterian, United Methodist, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), United Church of Christ: none of these pastors (I refuse to call a human "reverend") speaks for me, and they exemplify why I am non-denominational.

I'm not picking on @chipbennett. I know there are a lot of denominations that have this sentiment. Mine did. Maybe at some point I did too. And I don't mean this as a poke at Christianity. I just would like some feedback. It's just an observation about ways some Christians set themselves apart from other Christians that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think it's a human tendency in communicating with each other, to ascribe more importance to words than is implied by the context. Part of exegesis is figuring out which words, and all the ways those words, have a an importance in understanding what we can learn from a given text. But also which ways they don't have significance. I understand why some Christian denominations don't call their pastors "Reverend". I'm aware of the passages used to support this.

I think this is one of those cases where some Christians infer a spiritual importance to a word that isn't necessarily implied by scripture. So if I read Psalms 111:9 in the NASB, which, btw was my preferred back in my religious days, should I also call no person "awesome"? Are all adjectives ever used to describe God now off limits for men because scripture used them to describe God? And along with that, does the message of Matthew 23 really extend to all those adjectives too? I didn't think so. Not that I cared to call my pastor, "Reverand". To me, personally, it's more about the official nomenclature used for various organized denominations. For example, it's the "church body" rather than calling the same, "parishioners". In other words, it's organizational, procedural; not something in the realm of doctrine.

"Reverend" means someone who is "revered". And that means means someone who is deeply admired/respected. I did not call my pastor "Reverend" but most pastors I've had, I did admire and respect them a lot. Some more than others. I think Matthew 25 could apply to some adjectives used to describe God. I don't see "reverend" as one of those.

Anyway, I didn't want to threadjack the other thread and thought this is a question that fits here better. I reread this and I'm really surprised that this is the cause for me to break open the thread for the first time. I thought about deleting it but I wrote all these words and can't bring myself to just delete it.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    What do you guys say to someone who has honored God their whole life, believes in God.....but is pissed off at God?

Can you be pissed off at God, and still get to heaven?

I love the Book of Job. I have read it countless times in my life. I have always tried to live life, kind of like Job. I am disgusted with myself at times, disgusted that I would not just trust God's plan........but I am a very stubborn man.
    You can only get to heaven if your born again, and forgiven all.....including God for what ever reason. I think many including myself have been mad at God....usually becasue we don't understand, are ignorant of his ways and Love. The Psalms tell the story where King David had had it....he was doing everything right yet was suffering while he saw the wicked prosper...he said he almost backslid from God...BUT...he went to the temple to seek the Lord and the lord revealed why such things happen. My own policy with the Lord is to be honest, I'm positive I have said things I regret, seemingly immature of me.....and the Lord...will He has some pretty broad shoulders, are we really going to say or ask anything He hasn't heard before? Even God in the OT says this kinda paraphrased..."what is your problem? What have you got against me? Why the grudge against me? What have I done to you? Come, lets us sit down and talk about it." Trust comes from a close relationship, and time and experience. Long ago I thought of God as a bully with a big club ready to strike any time I messed up.....O the things we think up. The biggest problem I solved was the word of God is for us to see things the way God does, to try to see things from his perspective.....when we are young we are always trying to get God to see things the way we do and cause more problems to ourselves. David then said..."Though thou slay me Lord, yet will I trust you." Love me those Pslams.....some get pretty deep and to the heart. Hope this helps.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    You can only get to heaven if your born again, and forgiven all.....including God for what ever reason. I think many including myself have been mad at God....usually becasue we don't understand, are ignorant of his ways and Love. The Psalms tell the story where King David had had it....he was doing everything right yet was suffering while he saw the wicked prosper...he said he almost backslid from God...BUT...he went to the temple to seek the Lord and the lord revealed why such things happen. My own policy with the Lord is to be honest, I'm positive I have said things I regret, seemingly immature of me.....and the Lord...will He has some pretty broad shoulders, are we really going to say or ask anything He hasn't heard before? Even God in the OT says this kinda paraphrased..."what is your problem? What have you got against me? Why the grudge against me? What have I done to you? Come, lets us sit down and talk about it." Trust comes from a close relationship, and time and experience. Long ago I thought of God as a bully with a big club ready to strike any time I messed up.....O the things we think up. The biggest problem I solved was the word of God is for us to see things the way God does, to try to see things from his perspective.....when we are young we are always trying to get God to see things the way we do and cause more problems to ourselves. David then said..."Though thou slay me Lord, yet will I trust you." Love me those Pslams.....some get pretty deep and to the heart. Hope this helps.
    Thank you sir.......it does help!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Pardon the interruption. This is the first I've opened the religious discussion thread and it's to discuss an observance concerning the prohibition of "Reverend" as a sort of title for clergy in some Christian sects.

I'm not picking on @chipbennett. I know there are a lot of denominations that have this sentiment. Mine did. Maybe at some point I did too. And I don't mean this as a poke at Christianity. I just would like some feedback. It's just an observation about ways some Christians set themselves apart from other Christians that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think it's a human tendency in communicating with each other, to ascribe more importance to words than is implied by the context. Part of exegesis is figuring out which words, and all the ways those words, have a an importance in understanding what we can learn from a given text. But also which ways they don't have significance. I understand why some Christian denominations don't call their pastors "Reverend". I'm aware of the passages used to support this.

I think this is one of those cases where some Christians infer a spiritual importance to a word that isn't necessarily implied by scripture. So if I read Psalms 111:9 in the NASB, which, btw was my preferred back in my religious days, should I also call no person "awesome"? Are all adjectives ever used to describe God now off limits for men because scripture used them to describe God? And along with that, does the message of Matthew 23 really extend to all those adjectives too? I didn't think so. Not that I cared to call my pastor, "Reverand". To me, personally, it's more about the official nomenclature used for various organized denominations. For example, it's the "church body" rather than calling the same, "parishioners". In other words, it's organizational, procedural; not something in the realm of doctrine.

"Reverend" means someone who is "revered". And that means means someone who is deeply admired/respected. I did not call my pastor "Reverend" but most pastors I've had, I did admire and respect them a lot. Some more than others. I think Matthew 25 could apply to some adjectives used to describe God. I don't see "reverend" as one of those.

Anyway, I didn't want to threadjack the other thread and thought this is a question that fits here better. I reread this and I'm really surprised that this is the cause for me to break open the thread for the first time. I thought about deleting it but I wrote all these words and can't bring myself to just delete it.
    That largely sums it up. Pastors are servants. They are not to be "revered" above any other person, and especially not merely because of their vocation. And, we should love and respect everyone (equally), but IMHO, reverence is reserved for God alone.

Top Bottom