• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    If anybody has an impossible amount of free time and is interested in such things, there’s a series of podcasts and on YouTube I believe by Jordan B Peterson. He’s the guy who’s now been most recently known for his interview with Cathy Newman about gender pay gap and other things. He’s a clinical psychologist and he has a series of lectures on the Bible. From what I can tell he’s not a particularly religious man, but deeply philisophical. So he’s coming at the narrative from a different perspective but it is absolutely fascinating. Definitely worth the time if you have the mental capacity to try and absorb all of it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If anybody has an impossible amount of free time and is interested in such things, there’s a series of podcasts and on YouTube I believe by Jordan B Peterson. He’s the guy who’s now been most recently known for his interview with Cathy Newman about gender pay gap and other things. He’s a clinical psychologist and he has a series of lectures on the Bible. From what I can tell he’s not a particularly religious man, but deeply philisophical. So he’s coming at the narrative from a different perspective but it is absolutely fascinating. Definitely worth the time if you have the mental capacity to try and absorb all of it.

So, does he take the modern psychological view that it's not important what you have faith in, but that your faith is the thing that gets you through?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So, does he take the modern psychological view that it's not important what you have faith in, but that your faith is the thing that gets you through?

He believes the Bible is a collection of stories that humanity wrote down to kind’ve take stock in what we had learned throughout it’s entire existence. More like, “You should always be striving to be the best version of yourself, because what the heck else are you going to do with your life?” In his own life he’s made a steadfast decision to only speak things that he believes to be true. It’s kind’ve a way to absolve yourself from some of the harsh interactions with people. Always speak truth, and then whatever happens happens. Just really interesting how he finds all of these astoundingly profound things about the human existence in the Bible and then wonders how people thousands of years ago were able to understand it so deeply and then somehow put it into a fictional story.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    When asked directly if he believes in God, his answer is something like, “I act as if God exists.” Of course it’s a much, much deeper question to him than just do you believe in God. I just think it’s fascinating.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That does sound interesting, thanks.

And his answer is almost a direct reflection of Pascal's Wager, which makes sense for a philosopher.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pope gives go ahead for Romero to be declared a saint

Somewhat controversial Salvadorean priest to be included as a saint.

See, this is what you get when you come up with formalized saints, and people with too much time and develop rules and flowcharts and ...

Just stick to casseroles and Christ. :):

There's no way to "undo" this is there? I mean does the RCC ever say, "We were wrong when we declared XXXXX four decades ago." Doesn't sainthood fall under Papal Infallibility?

And what are the consequences of having a saint who was big into liberation theology?

PS - just for you T.Lex
    Pope Leaves Factory Sticker On Hat To Garner Street Cred

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    See, this is what you get when you come up with formalized saints, and people with too much time and develop rules and flowcharts and ...

:D

I know I've used this joke before, but... when it comes to rules, regulations and doctrinal bureaucracies, Catholicism is downright byzantine. :D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :D

I know I've used this joke before, but... when it comes to rules, regulations and doctrinal bureaucracies, Catholicism is downright byzantine. :D

1ban6q.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

And Texas Holdem during the Saint Anthony's Summer Picnic....:)

For those looking for something to do other than Hullabalou, St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in Clarksville will hold its Parish Picnic Friday and Saturday.
    Booths, live music, beer, raffles, crafts, and a chicken dinner are among the highlights to the annual event.
    In the interest of full disclosure, this writer will be pouring beer in the air-conditioned comfort of the gambling area (also known as the school gymnasium) on Friday evening and will be proudly flouring pound after pound of chicken on Saturday morning and afternoon.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Quick googling does not reveal a previous "St. Romero."

And, although he will probably be known as St. Oscar Romero, that will not stop me from totally using that line. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom