Not open for further replies.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    We'll go with that :D

I just found the podcasts on iTunes. But he does have a website. https://www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com/

He starts as far back as we can figure. Doggerland, giant deer and grandma's skeleton on display in the corner. And he works his way through the whole history. I'm around episode 140, and we've just now gotten to the time of Bede c. 725 AD. He's a lawyer, so his research is spot on.

Wow. He is annoying me in the opening episode. "LOOK AT ME I'm talking about women and commoners in history!!!!"

The idiot hasn't talked to an historian in a long time. That's all they talk about anymore.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Nah, I think Lent is more of a social club - Let me join the cool kids and give up something them tell everyone I'm giving it up; it's not a sacrifice unless you Tweet it.

You tell people over and over, "not by your works", yet they still try and work their way to Heaven...

The best way to get people to deny works salvation is to come up with a doctrine that says you don't have to DO anything. In fact you have NO choice in your eternal destination.

Oh wait we got one of those in the 1500s. :) How is that working out?

I tried to rep this post but apparently I need to visit other threads more and rep other people for that first sentence.

If we make any fast into I am giving up x to obtain y. We make it a pagan sacrifice. Just as if we pray to God that I will give up x to obtain y. That is a pagan prayer and a pagan sacrifice.

We fast to separate needs from wants. We fast to rediscover that all we need is God. We fast for one purpose and one purpose only. To transform our lives in Christ.

That is why I asked that question. When did we take it upon ourselves to decide what to fast from? You should ask someone else. Preferably your spiritual father if not that, ask your spouse, they can certainly tell you where your misplaced wants are. Or maybe a parent or sibling. Certainly not yourself for you are robbing the spiritual life of the virtue of obedience and its companion humility for we don't like to hear from someone else what we cling to most and could be feeding the spiritual enemy of pride.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Wow. He is annoying me in the opening episode. "LOOK AT ME I'm talking about women and commoners in history!!!!"

The idiot hasn't talked to an historian in a long time. That's all they talk about anymore.

Podcasters are an interesting bunch. Unless they've got previous experience, they're learning on the fly. Many times the first few episodes are pretty rough, which is why a lot of them wind up in the "archives." Jamie is certainly no different, but he gets more polished as time goes on. It takes him about 50 episodes to quit cussing, but he does bleep the words out, at least. But his content is really good, and it starts to shine through.

I will say his disdain for the classical "Great Man" method of looking at history comes up from time to time. And that is fair, because we still teach history that way. Many true historians may not look at it that way, but that is often still how books are written. And the shame of it is, since we've looked at things that way since we've been writing stuff down, it makes it difficult in the present to piece together significant information that chroniclers just didn't think was important back in the day.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The best way to get people to deny works salvation is to come up with a doctrine that says you don't have to DO anything. In fact you have NO choice in your eternal destination.

I tried to rep this post but apparently I need to visit other threads more and rep other people for that first sentence.

If we make any fast into I am giving up x to obtain y. We make it a pagan sacrifice. Just as if we pray to God that I will give up x to obtain y. That is a pagan prayer and a pagan sacrifice.

We fast to separate needs from wants. We fast to rediscover that all we need is God. We fast for one purpose and one purpose only. To transform our lives in Christ.

That is why I asked that question. When did we take it upon ourselves to decide what to fast from? You should ask someone else. Preferably your spiritual father if not that, ask your spouse, they can certainly tell you where your misplaced wants are. Or maybe a parent or sibling. Certainly not yourself for you are robbing the spiritual life of the virtue of obedience and its companion humility for we don't like to hear from someone else what we cling to most and could be feeding the spiritual enemy of pride.

Well said. Fasting is something Christ talked about a lot, and should be part of our lives. It's been a long time since I've done it. The older I get, the more routines get in the way. Or maybe I should say, the more I let routines get in the way. Paul also discussed fasting at length. I've never observed Lent, as it wasn't part of my spiritual upbringing. But it is a good tool for growing closer to Christ. Like Lex said, some people do it because they've always done it. And as you have said, some people just thoughtlessly pick a thing to give up. Neither of those accomplishes anything, IMO, other than to make ourselves feel holy. But if it is done prayerfully with the intent of growing in Him, there is value to it. I also don't think we're really honoring the purpose by capping the whole thing off with giant hedonistic festivals.

As an aside, what is the one thing Paul said certain people should not fast from too long?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Fantastic! :D

This is very astute.

Too often we try and decide what we want to give to follow Jesus... as if he didn't ask for all.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Marital relations?

Well said. Fasting is something Christ talked about a lot, and should be part of our lives. It's been a long time since I've done it. The older I get, the more routines get in the way. Or maybe I should say, the more I let routines get in the way. Paul also discussed fasting at length. I've never observed Lent, as it wasn't part of my spiritual upbringing. But it is a good tool for growing closer to Christ. Like Lex said, some people do it because they've always done it. And as you have said, some people just thoughtlessly pick a thing to give up. Neither of those accomplishes anything, IMO, other than to make ourselves feel holy. But if it is done prayerfully with the intent of growing in Him, there is value to it. I also don't think we're really honoring the purpose by capping the whole thing off with giant hedonistic festivals.

As an aside, what is the one thing Paul said certain people should not fast from too long?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Marital relations?

Yes. Because there is someone else you have to consider. You don't want to cause them to stumble in their walk while you are trying to improve yours. In every instance we ought to consider the walk of fellow Christians, and not to cause them to stumble. Hence all the ink devoted to using our liberty in Christ respectfully and carefully. But in no relationship is this more important than the marriage.

Now that I think about it, marriage takes a spiritual walk and turns it into a gunny sack race.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ok I looked it up now and I think I got it right...

That said, in Orthodoxy, married couples will fast from sexual relations during fasting days/periods but only with mutual consent and often (meaning should be) with the knowledge of their spiritual father or for most protestants that would be their pastor. Usually during long periods like Lent or Advent, the fast is on weekdays only leaving the weekends free. That is actually how the Lenten fast is also. On the weekdays the dietary restriction for those that are able is no meat, no dairy products, and nothing cooked in oil, basically, xerography. On the weekends, cooking in oil is allowed. There are even communities of married monastics. One of which is has written about dog training and sells German Shepherds to support themselves.

I like Bible questions :)

At work, one of my friends is a Bible Study leader and they are going through the books of the NT. He tries out his study/quiz/test questions on me to see if they are too easy or hard :). It's his Goldilocks test.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Ok I looked it up now and I think I got it right...

That said, in Orthodoxy, married couples will fast from sexual relations during fasting days/periods but only with mutual consent and often (meaning should be) with the knowledge of their spiritual father or for most protestants that would be their pastor. Usually during long periods like Lent or Advent, the fast is on weekdays only leaving the weekends free. That is actually how the Lenten fast is also. On the weekdays the dietary restriction for those that are able is no meat, no dairy products, and nothing cooked in oil, basically, xerography. On the weekends, cooking in oil is allowed. There are even communities of married monastics. One of which is has written about dog training and sells German Shepherds to support themselves.

I like Bible questions :)

At work, one of my friends is a Bible Study leader and they are going through the books of the NT. He tries out his study/quiz/test questions on me to see if they are too easy or hard :). It's his Goldilocks test.

I didn't think that one would be too tough for you, just seemed like a good point of discussion. I think how you describe it is how I interpret the Bible. Not necessarily the part about informing a third party, but I suppose there is nothing wrong with it. But it should certainly be consensual and determinate, according to the Bible.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    In our celebration of Matrimony, the bride and groom are crowned with the crown of martyrdom and it is a big component of how we view marriage. The crowns are joined by a ribbon and the couple parades 3 times around the ambvon is what is called the dance of Isaiah. These crowns should be put in a display box and hung above the marital bed along with an icon of the Wedding at Cana.

Marrige WILL make you humble, obedient, sacrificial, and is a great training ground in all these spiritual virtues for it is a mystical typology of the bride (Church) and groom (Christ).

Yes. Because there is someone else you have to consider. You don't want to cause them to stumble in their walk while you are trying to improve yours. In every instance we ought to consider the walk of fellow Christians, and not to cause them to stumble. Hence all the ink devoted to using our liberty in Christ respectfully and carefully. But in no relationship is this more important than the marriage.

Now that I think about it, marriage takes a spiritual walk and turns it into a gunny sack race.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    In our celebration of Matrimony, the bride and groom are crowned with the crown of martyrdom and it is a big component of how we view marriage. The crowns are joined by a ribbon and the couple parades 3 times around the ambvon is what is called the dance of Isaiah. These crowns should be put in a display box and hung above the marital bed along with an icon of the Wedding at Cana.

Marrige WILL make you humble, obedient, sacrificial, and is a great training ground in all these spiritual virtues for it is a mystical typology of the bride (Church) and groom (Christ).

Like anything, humans can screw it up, and do quite frequently. But done correctly, it absolutely should mirror the relationship Christ has with His bride. Furthermore, as the woman was taken from the man, they are incomplete without each other. The adventure, joy, and sometimes arguments comes from discovering how you fit together to make a whole again.

It sounds so easy when you talk about it!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    A great podcast on the subject. If you listen to the first 15 minutes and aren't curious enough to finish it stop, but for anyone that is married, it will give great insights.

Philip and I used attend Church together at St Alexis Orthodox Church in Lafayette. We, along with two others, were the nucleus of First hour prayer services at the Church on Tues and Thur at 7 am before going on to classes/work.

I miss those times. Was a time of my greatest spiritual growth.

http://www.ancientfaith.com/special..._2016/nurturing_intimacy_in_our_relationships

If you do like it, he delivered a second lecture in the afternoon that I can post. I lilsten to these during every Lent :)

And with that, my wife has given me her recipe for her Valentine's dinner. Scallops and Shrimp Scampi, rice and asparagus :) So I am off to the kitchen.

Like anything, humans can screw it up, and do quite frequently. But done correctly, it absolutely should mirror the relationship Christ has with His bride. Furthermore, as the woman was taken from the man, they are incomplete without each other. The adventure, joy, and sometimes arguments comes from discovering how you fit together to make a whole again.

It sounds so easy when you talk about it!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Carryover from the general political subforum....

Who is church for?

I'd say it's for us. That's our opportunity to learn, meditate on the word, hold each other accountable, and to be with God (Mathew 18:20), etc etc

I'd also say it's for Him. It's our chance to corporately worship Him.

Christianity is a relationship. It's not a who does what for who.

Of course, big "C" "Church" is the body of Christ. That's all of those who are saved. That is for God. edit: well, except for the salvation part, that is for us.

-rvb

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's a number of roles, Christ and the Church are modeled in our marriages. Think about how many roles your wife fulfills.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom