• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I know a guy who's a fireman out in PA, and he says it happens a lot. I assume that large cities everywhere have similar stats for something like that. I don't have any hard evidence, but I do know human nature. going to the cooling station involves less effort and risk. therefore it is the more likely option.

Then you've never lived in a city nor played under "the plug" (ask your PA fireman friend) and know little of human nature. It used to get opened in my Philadelphia neighborhood just to screw with the cops who were supposed to be turning them off, it must have been 20 times a day sometimes. No kid is going to choose a "cooling site" over standing in front of an open water main blasting them full force.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Nothing really just the way you write and you position on some things. Most people 49 and older I know have very different positions. may it's because you live in Colorado. fyi I'm 26.

I had hoped that the wisdom of my posts was so obvious that people would think I was 135, at least. :D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I agree that heat waves are dangerous to old people. That fact cannot be disputed.

My question is this: Are they dying from sitting quietly inside their houses in the heat, or are they dying because they are out in the heat doing things they normally do without realizing that their actions are dangerous because they're older now?

I doubt air conditioning would make much of a difference in deaths during a heat wave, because I suspect it's happening because of vigorous activity.

That's just speculation on my part, I have no facts either way.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The government's purpose is to protect my assets and provide security from outside threats. However, due to the complexity of our market system some goods do not reach everyone. Air conditioning is a really good way to keep people cool when it is dangerously hot out. And one of the goods not all people have is an air conditioner.

So do we provide air conditioning to those the market does not provide it for?
    I understand the sentiment of your post, but this is a fallacy. The market provides air conditioning for everyone. Whether or not they choose to buy it is a matter of their priorities and subjective valuations.

We are considerably warmer down here in Oklahoma than you are in Indiana. I have a friend who has been complaining that his air conditioner is broken for the living room in his house. I know for a fact that he A) has a decent job, B) lives right down the street from a Home Depot where they sell window units for as low as $100 each, C) spends most of his money on comic books and gizmos he doesn't need, and D) returns everything I lend him damaged in some way, if he returns it at all. So I felt quite comfortable not offering him the use of the air conditioner sitting in my storage room doing nothing.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I understand the sentiment of your post, but this is a fallacy. The market provides air conditioning for everyone. Whether or not they choose to buy it is a matter of their priorities and subjective valuations.

We are considerably warmer down here in Oklahoma than you are in Indiana. I have a friend who has been complaining that his air conditioner is broken for the living room in his house. I know for a fact that he A) has a decent job, B) lives right down the street from a Home Depot where they sell window units for as low as $100 each, C) spends most of his money on comic books and gizmos he doesn't need, and D) returns everything I lend him damaged in some way, if he returns it at all. So I felt quite comfortable not offering him the use of the air conditioner sitting in my storage room doing nothing.

Rent it to him. Yet another market solution. Ain't freedom grand?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It occurs to me that the cooling centers are buildings that are being air conditioned anyways, so its not spending anymore tax dollars to call it a cooling center.
    If Idon'tt have a/c and i go to the mall i am not called a tax mooch.
    If don'tnt have a/c and i go to the library i am not called a tax mooch.
    Ifdon'tont have a/c and i go to a community center that the city hdecidedded to call a "cooling center" now I am a tax mooch.:(

This is what I thought, also. I'm sure there is someone on here with additional information.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It occurs to me that the cooling centers are buildings that are being air conditioned anyways, so its not spending anymore tax dollars to call it a cooling center.
    If Idon'tt have a/c and i go to the mall i am not called a tax mooch.
    If don'tnt have a/c and i go to the library i am not called a tax mooch.
    Ifdon'tont have a/c and i go to a community center that the city hdecidedded to call a "cooling center" now I am a tax mooch.:(

I don't think you are a mooch at all. I think you are a Pansy...:popcorn:;)

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    This is what I thought, also. I'm sure there is someone on here with additional information.

So, extended hours, staff to assist, and a call center for heat related assistance and no extra cost? Why don't you just try to sell me a bridge in Brooklyn?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    So, extended hours, staff to assist, and a call center for heat related assistance and no extra cost? Why don't you just try to sell me a bridge in Brooklyn?

Would that extra cost be more than the cost to hospitalize even five heat injury patients? I'm not sure what the overall cost is, but I do know that my taxes pay for the medical care of people without insurance or the means to pay. If those costs can be lessened, then I have no problem with the cooling centers.

Top Bottom