• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Indy has created sites where people without ac can go and "cool off" until the heat wave passes.

City has plan to deal with extreme heat - 13 WTHR
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. part of me thinks i grew up without AC and we never had them. part of me thinks why is my tax dollars paying for people to cooling off people isn't there a better way to spend money like pot holes. What say you ingo.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    As long as we continue with the farce that government is a service, it will find new services to provide.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hey, I'm all for folks DONATING money for cooling stations. Sounds like a great charity to me. I hear churches are pretty cool inside. As are mosques and temples. Shelters, too.

Taking money by force and then running an air conditioner with it? Really? That's the BEST use you can find for it?

I also find it amusing that we run cooling stations for one group of folks, while another group is out WORKING in this heat.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would rather have the cooling sites that read about elderly people dying of heat stroke. It's a small price to pay in my opinion. I was reading in the PW thread about a member who is checking on elderly neighbors. I would encourage all of us to do the same.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I would rather have the cooling sites that read about elderly people dying of heat strokes. It's a small price to pay in my opinion. I was reading in the PW thread about a member who is checking on elderly neighbors. I would encourage all of us to do the same.

I am all for that and am doing the same with a couple that live across the street from me and would gladly let them come over if they needed too. I also clear their driveway every time it snows.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Hell no! If you have a surplus, give it back to the poor schmucks you took it from, don't find new ways to fritter it away.

:yesway:

With the city sitting on a surplus , on the hottest of days should we not help those less fortunate ?

I would say help those who are incapable of helping themselves.... many of those that the government has deemed "less fortunate" have nicer things and eat better food than I ever did growing up.

As long as we continue with the farce that government is a service, it will find new services to provide.

:yesway:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. part of me thinks i grew up without AC and we never had them. part of me thinks why is my tax dollars paying for people to cooling off people isn't there a better way to spend money like pot holes. What say you ingo.

I say I'm in the same boat... torn...

I would rather have the cooling sites that read about elderly people dying of heat stroke. It's a small price to pay in my opinion. I was reading in the PW thread about a member who is checking on elderly neighbors. I would encourage all of us to do the same.

I mostly agree.... I think this falls into my "help those who CAN'T help themselves, not those who WON'T" position as stated above.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

I'd rather read about the elderly neighbors that you took in to use your air conditioning. Your druther can be met using someone's money not your own, and my druther can be met using someone's money not my own. Ain't it grand? Man has lived untold millennia without air conditioning, but now it's an entitlement.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I wonder what the percentage of houses is in Indiana that don't have air-conditioning.

Is this just a solution looking for a problem?

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    We should probably have Hunger Sites too, for needy people who are hungry, but can't afford or don't know how to feed themselves.

These cooling sites better have some nice swimming pools too. It's inhumane to expect people to get by with ONLY free A/C, I mean come on. We could even send out helicopters to pick people up who can't find the Cooling Sites or don't feel like walking there.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    We should probably have Hunger Sites too, for needy people who are hungry, but can't afford or don't know how to feed themselves.

These cooling sites better have some nice swimming pools too. It's inhumane to expect people to get by with ONLY free A/C, I mean come on. We could even send out helicopters to pick people up who can't find the Cooling Sites or don't feel like walking there.

Obviously you didn't read the article. They said the "City Owned" Pools will be open more to help and aid as additional cooling sights.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Wasn't there talk about shutting off AC in Iraq and Afghan as a way cutting into the budget deficit? Where are those people when you need them?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I wonder what the percentage of houses is in Indiana that don't have air-conditioning.

Is this just a solution looking for a problem?

Good idea dross, free A/C units to everyone in Indiana that doesn't already have one :D

Just kidding.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I grew up without A/C. The schools didn't have it back then. No one seemed too worried about it back then. I can remember how neat it was going to the movies that one or two times in the summer and sitting in the A/C.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Wasn't there talk about shutting off AC in Iraq and Afghan as a way cutting into the budget deficit? Where are those people when you need them?

Wouldn't you rather have the government screw with the nation's defenders rather than have a moment of discomfort or bead of sweat afflict those sucking at its teat? Some sucking on it for generation upon generation.

I'm sorry that I've come to see the day that this country's priorities have become so perverted.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le

Uhm.... Franklin township has these hunger sites. SUMMER SERVINGS!! « Franklin Township Community School Corporation and yes, this is the township that says it can't afford to provide bus service for it's students anymore and will be charging 475$ PER STUDENT for bus service this upcoming school year.

:xmad::soapbox:

Uhm.... sadly you're only half wrong on this....

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/DHS/Preparedness/Documents/Appendix%20G-Heat%20Cold%20Plan%202009-2%20wo%20contact.pdf

Cooling and Warming Centers
    During a heat or cold emergency individuals must be able to access cooling or warming resources.
    During times of extreme heat, water recreation activities are available through the Operation Cool Down program coordinated through
    Indy Parks. If

Top Bottom