Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    images

Any Questions?

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    They have these in Ft Wayne too, its not the first time I have seen this on the news. I have no idea when they first started, but there are far worse egregious expenditures by our government. While I find this a to be fairly unneeded, why is everyone in so bent out of shape abotu this?

Heck just one day in Iraq would pay for this a million times over.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    They have these in Ft Wayne too, its not the first time I have seen this on the news. I have no idea when they first started, but there are far worse egregious expenditures by our government. While I find this a to be fairly unneeded, why is everyone in so bent out of shape abotu this?

The answer to your question can be found by reading many of the posts above yours.

Heck just one day in Iraq would pay for this a million times over.

Agree or disagree with a particular war, the nation's defense is a legitimate function of government. Providing services available on the market is not.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The answer to your question can be found by reading many of the posts above yours.

Agree or disagree with a particular war, the nation's defense is a legitimate function of government. Providing services available on the market is not.

I wasn't really trying to equate the two. I was just merely pointing out that for the money we are spending/wasting in Iraq (depending on your views) is so much greater than keeping a few buildings open longer with the AC on. I am not saying we should be doing it, but there are a lot more things to get pissed about.

Truthfully in the scheme of things this is hardly a drop in the bucket that will never be felt.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I am sure that in the many pages of this thread this has been said, but I feel the need to reiterate it. There are many places where people can go and cool down. The mall is a prime example. It is cool, there is food, and there is plenty to do. Or heck, a movie theater!

If private entities want to create cooling stations, more power to them. I still think their money is better spent helping the less fortunate get to these places where it is already cool, as opposed to creating completely new areas. In fact, I have a friend who is interning with a local group that helps the elderly. He is a law student, so he was more helping on that side of things, but with everything so hot nearly everyone in the organization is spending time driving people to the mall, bringing them cold water, etc. It is just a better use of already available resources.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am sure that in the many pages of this thread this has been said, but I feel the need to reiterate it. There are many places where people can go and cool down. The mall is a prime example. It is cool, there is food, and there is plenty to do. Or heck, a movie theater!

If private entities want to create cooling stations, more power to them. I still think their money is better spent helping the less fortunate get to these places where it is already cool, as opposed to creating completely new areas. In fact, I have a friend who is interning with a local group that helps the elderly. He is a law student, so he was more helping on that side of things, but with everything so hot nearly everyone in the organization is spending time driving people to the mall, bringing them cold water, etc. It is just a better use of already available resources.

If you read this thread instead of the article you would assume the city of Indy is building all new buildings to super cool poor folks.

Good grief they are opening the doors of current buildings that are already air conditioned anyway. What, do you think they shut the HVAC systems at 5:00pm in these buildings if no one was going to be around? Very unlikely, especially in heat like this. It can take some time to bring a big building back up to temperature if you shut it down for hours. There is really no benefit to shut it down.

In the article they listed buildings that will be open to the public, public pools, and parks that have water spray features. I fail to see where this exorbitant amount of money is being spent.

Top Bottom