• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Where'd you mount the antenna and the CB? We had a '95 cutlass. She made me sell it for $25 because the tranny dropped. I still give her crap about that! :):

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I carry a cb in the truck but I travel alot for work and it has come in handy espeacially since I have satelite radio and the weather band will alert me of potential severe weather but I need to get a new one or at least a new bigger antenna.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Where'd you mount the antenna and the CB? We had a '95 cutlass. She made me sell it for $25 because the tranny dropped. I still give her crap about that! :):

The CB is mounted to the floor between and in front of the seats (hump). The antenna is a magnetic one on the roof. No problem with interference. (Of course, right now, my son's mobile one is in the car, since we are both driving it until my truck is back in action. (Rebuilt engine and tranny. :xmad:)

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    A CB is also great for finding out why traffic is backed up on an interstate, hazzardous conditions ahead, where the police are staked out, etc.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I'm glad someone raised this topic. I have a handheld CB in my truck, but it's been in there untouched for years, so the alkaline batteries I put it in are probably leaking all over everything near it. I need to check that.

The advantage I see with CBs over FMRS and GMRS is range. You can put a decent antenna on a CB and go several miles. You're out of luck antenna-wise with FMRS/GMRS, so no matter what they rate it in "miles," you're still not going to be able to talk to someone across town (unless you have line of sight). GMRS probably works great across a lake, though! Or maybe from the top of one hill to the top of another tall hill.

I've been toying with the idea of getting the ham license, but I know then I'll have to buy the gear too! Which I need, but it could get addictive and it could cut into my ammo budget. Of course, if I really need it someday, I'll wish I had done it.

Yup because of the nature of FM broadcast. AM/SSB radio frequencies propagate much better - although sometimes not as clear.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I am considering this option for my truck. The only thing is I have not got to put my hands on one or find someone who has used it. However I have used Cobra CB's for years and am overly happy with their performance.

75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount CB Radio with SoundTracker® and NOAA Weather

SKU: C 75 WX ST

This compact/remote mount 40-channel CB radio offers patented SoundTracker noise reduction technology. The complete radio fits in your hand making it ideal for compact installations. Other features include 10 NOAA National Weather channels, Full Channel Scan, Dual Watch, and an illuminated LCD display. The product is ideal for recreational vehicles!

Price $129.95

For just a few bucks more you could get an American made Galaxy AM/SSB CB radio :D
    These new Cobra's are made in China....

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I have a Galaxy 959 in my RAM 1500. I use it now and again, it has saved me some time when traveling on the highway, or by rather not traveling on the highway. lol

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I'm on channel 1 (26.965mhz) most of the time - good strong low freq hehe. With 27.405 (40) as a backup high freq in case of a big skip wave - to avoid interference.

Top Bottom