• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have a handheld CB and a pair of Midland LXT-300 2-ways. I love my CB because it's the best source of traffic info available. It's also a lifesaver if you break down on I74 west at 3 in the morning! Granted it alerts crazys to your area, but it also allows you to get ahold of a trucker with a cell phone to call for help. Sometimes you don't break down in good cell phone area, I don't care if you have Verizon or not. And yea, 2 way radios are basiclly junk after a half mile in town. Tried to play car-hide-and-seek with those, yea, we went back to CB's! :D

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    CB's are common among people who do alot of fourwheeling in their Jeeps or trucks; therefore, I can see some advantages to having a CB in a shtf situation because it may put you in touch almost immediately with some well equipped people with a valuable skill set.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Booney talk

I used to travel alot and from time to time you would hear booney talk, farmer A yacking away with farmer B.

Being in booney land now, the other night while milking my goats a couple booneys started up a chit chat on old ch12 found out alot about people who live within a mile of me.

I still think CBs are a good option for multiple vehicle use because without a license you can talk for miles and don't run out of batteries / power.

I also have never had so many children on a CB Radio as I have had with the FR's.

And yes some FR's d require a license to operate. And plenty ignore that for the time being.

Fromerly (( Little Dude )) KAWL 2690

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I own two, but I don't have one mounted in my truck right now. Vehicles today do not make themselve available to easy mounting of CB radios without being in the way of something else.

If anyone has a good location for mounting one in a Toyota FJ, please let me know.
    I guess I could look into a remote unit with controls on the handset. However, I don't have one of those. Yet.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Not to thread jack, but how do you like that FJ? Ever gone off road?

I hope you like cutting up a new truck because I think either you're going to have to cut a hole, mount it on the ceiling, or your passenger will just be REALLY uncomfortable... You could always mount it in the center console I guess....

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    OK, lets don't change subjects but my JF is great. Power and 22 mpg plus cool looks. I have only taken it off road to get to camp sites, job sites but not to go mudding or rock hopping. I love it too much to mistreat it. I'd get me a good Jeep to do that stuff with.

The ceiling is an idea I have thought of given the room I have up there, but I have not done anything else but think about it. I think I'll look into a remote unit. Yep, passengers would be uncomfortable if I place the radio on their side. There is no room on my side of the cabin. Under the seat is not good either.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I own two, but I don't have one mounted in my truck right now. Vehicles today do not make themselve available to easy mounting of CB radios without being in the way of something else.

If anyone has a good location for mounting one in a Toyota FJ, please let me know.
    I guess I could look into a remote unit with controls on the handset. However, I don't have one of those. Yet.

I am considering this option for my truck. The only thing is I have not got to put my hands on one or find someone who has used it. However I have used Cobra CB's for years and am overly happy with their performance.

75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount CB Radio with SoundTracker® and NOAA Weather

SKU: C 75 WX ST

This compact/remote mount 40-channel CB radio offers patented SoundTracker noise reduction technology. The complete radio fits in your hand making it ideal for compact installations. Other features include 10 NOAA National Weather channels, Full Channel Scan, Dual Watch, and an illuminated LCD display. The product is ideal for recrational vehicles!

Price $129.95

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Let's face it! This is posted in a survival and preparedness forum. In case of survival the old CB may well be your best form of communication. Hard wired systems will be gone but probably not until after the cell towers go away. It takes some education and understanding, not to mention specialized equipment to operate a ham setup. Pretty much any of us uneducated dolts can figure out how to operate a CB. A scanner will also be an asset. I own such radios not for regular use but instead for just in case.

Face the facts! In a SHTF situation all legality concerns are out the window.:ar15: Being prepared is just making arrangements for the unknown.:dunno:

What can it hurt to have a decent CB on hand?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    While I do agree that a CB will be a great benefit in a SHTF situation, I don't own one, which is sad as I drive a truck for a living. lol

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    i got an ok set up on my truck
    it is the best radar detector on highway
    and i think it will be useful in an SHTF
    i still see a lot of people using it and is very good when you travel in groups (caravan)
    in a SHTF situation you don't want to be alone and you want to be able to communicate

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I have one in my truck. My son has a base. He also has a mobile on that he wants to switch to my truck (his is better).

How many shortwaves are there out there? If something did happen, how much traffic could they handle at one time? If someone at work (not necessarily in the same town, but local) needed to contact someone at home, would a shortwave be able to be used as a "bridge" to get the message to that home? Or vice versa?

CB's are cheaper to buy and opperate. More people should own (and use them) just in case. But, I also believe that more shortwaves are needed as well. Information could be passed across country more readily. CB's for local.

I believe there is a greater need right now (and in the near future) for more of BOTH. (especially if Biden if right! ;))

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Is there a type of antennae that can be mounted in the body? Just trying to keep the whips out of the way.

Not that will have a real strong signal. Unless something new has came out in the last 3 years that works that is. The problem is vehicle noise. The interferance from the motor will give you more static than signal. I tried running a steel rod-turned CB Antenna along the frame of my truck and connected it to my bumper. No dice. Tried running an antenna along the inside roof, same result.

The only real choice is to wrap a cut down CB antenna with as much copper wire as possible at it's base, wrap it in electrical tape and place it in the trunk. If it's a truck, same thing, but put it horizontal just under the top lip of the sidepanels in the bed.

None of these will get you a real strong signal as a regular mounted antenna would, but they are concealed or fairly concealed and work with as little interferance as possible.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have a CJ I am trying to figure out where, how to mount my antennas in a not in my farging way fashion. I will have a CB, a scanner, a 2 way, and of course a stereo. The only antenna that is not in my way is the stereo one.

gunrunner0320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Anderson
    i have a c b in my truck talk to a few people here in Anderson there is some **** that gos on but not that bad. i like it when im on my way to work and back. they do come in handy i like it

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i have a c b in my truck talk to a few people here in Anderson there is some **** that gos on but not that bad. i like it when im on my way to work and back. they do come in handy i like it

Gunrunner, what channel are you usually talking on?

I normally keep my CB turned off unless we're traveling but if there are folks chatting it up here locally I'll turn it on and tune it in.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I miss my CB. Although it may look funny on an Olds 88, I was thinking the other day about putting one on it. Then this thread gets resurected. It must be a sign.... :):

Top Bottom