• ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Truck drivers primarily.
    It's not a bad idea to have a CB Radio, however overall I think you would be better served with a ham radio license & Equipment. Much better range, and a much wider group of skilled people who might be able to help.

that's my quite likely biased opinion. ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am just feeling out options for secondary comms system(s).
    I am already running a 2-way system as a VF here in the sticks. I have also add a scanner to the list of things to put in the truck.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If S were to HTF, a ham rig would be a must, but don't overlook the fact that a CB might be all the "average joe" can get his hands on. If you're trying to contact survivors of a zombie attack when they're holed up in the mall, the mall's Radio Shack will likely have CB's, but not ham gear.

Not to mention CB's are easy to operate and don't require any particular training.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I can neither confirm, nor deny that some ham radio HF transceivers may or may not be able to transmit out of the ham bands on or around the 11m band.

I can however confirm that almost all HF ham radio transceivers can receive in the 11m band. (11m = CB)

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I am just feeling out options for secondary comms system(s).
    I am already running a 2-way system as a VF here in the sticks. I have also add a scanner to the list of things to put in the truck.

Might be a good idea to check local regs before you take a scanner
    along in your vehicle.
    Some localities frown on that, they make exceptions for licensed hams.

IC 35-44-3-12

I was thinking of adding comms to my BOV. And I got to thinking I wonder if anyone even uses CB's anymore?

It's still in use up here in the northern counties.
    Lots of different users, even had some Muslim prayers and preaching
    awhile back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    When I drove my truck, I had one, great unit. However, I was so fed up with all the retarded hick nitwits that talked and, primarily, fought on it, I literally threw it out the window. The emergency band is about the only good thing on a CB nowdays. The idea of using one to find the police or know traffic conditions is pretty much dead now.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a CB in the trunk of my car that I use on long trips. They are great tool to have to avoid traffic jams and speed traps.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Justus, The legalities of having a scanner are a non-issue. I also have a mobile with ALL the local Fire, EMS, Sherriff, PD, etc freqs. So if someone were going to hassle me for the scanner I would already be getting a sterner talking to.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a race scanner (hand held unit with headphones, small speaker on unit) that I use at races but also will scan for police/weather in a pinch.

Will CB's/Ham radio be affected by digital changes that are in store for tv in early 2009?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have a race scanner (hand held unit with headphones, small speaker on unit) that I use at races but also will scan for police/weather in a pinch.

Will CB's/Ham radio be affected by digital changes that are in store for tv in early 2009?

No. We Hams have been using Digital Transmissions for years. We also still use AM, CW, SSB, FM, etc. One of the core reasons for Ham/Amateur radio is to experiment. A lot of the technologies you use today in commercial broadcasts were developed in whole or part by experimenting Hams ;)

I'm not sure about the Citizens Band. It seems to be taking a back seat to FRS radios for general purpose these days. (FRS is FM, and highly unlikely to go Digital either)

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I work with CBs, FRS/GMRS and Scanners on a daily basis.

What's been said about CB's is mostly spot on. Some areas (mostly college) are still buying the radios, but they use them more for a mobile PA than for communication. CBs are still used in transportation more than anything else... dump trucks and semis, primarily.

I guess, in a BOB situation, it would depend on what you were going for. If you were traveling with someone and wanted to be able to communicate between one another, an FRS/GMRS combo would be the best option for the money. Ham radios are great if you're willing to take the time to learn how to use them and get licensed properly. CBs would be a distant choice in that situation..

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Justus, The legalities of having a scanner are a non-issue. I also have a mobile with ALL the local Fire, EMS, Sherriff, PD, etc freqs. So if someone were going to hassle me for the scanner I would already be getting a sterner talking to.

OK Jeremy, I only posted because many are unaware of the fact.
    It may be an issue for some readers here.
    I've read a few articles about scanners being taken away in
    Indiana traffic stops.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Indiana scanner Law:
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]State Statute I.C. 35-44-3-12
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]IC 35-44-3-12
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) possesses a police radio;
    (2) transmits over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes; or
    (3) possesses or uses a police radio:
    (A) while committing a crime;
    (B) to further the commission of a crime; or
    (C) to avoid detection by a law enforcement agency;
    commits unlawful use of a police radio, a Class B misdemeanor.
    (b) Subsection (a)(1) and (a)(2) do not apply to:
    (1) a governmental entity;
    (2) a regularly employed law enforcement officer;
    (3) a common carrier of persons for hire whose vehicles are used in emergency
    service;
    (4) a public service or utility company whose vehicles are used in emergency
    service;
    (5) a person who has written permission from the chief executive officer of a law
    enforcement agency to possess a police
    radio;
    (6) a person who holds an amateur radio license issued by the Federal
    Communications Commission if the person is not
    transmitting over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes;
    (7) a person who uses a police radio only in the person's dwelling or place of
    business;
    (8) a person:
    (A) who is regularly engaged in newsgathering activities;
    (B) who is employed by a newspaper qualified to receive legal advertisements
    under IC 5-3-1, a wire service, or a
    licensed commercial or public radio or television station; and
    (C) whose name is furnished by his employer to the chief executive officer of
    a law enforcement agency in the county in
    which the employer's principal office is located;
    (9) a person engaged in the business of manufacturing or selling police radios; or
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] (10) a person who possesses or uses a police radio during the normal course of the
    person's lawful business.
    (c) As used in this section, "police radio" means a radio that is capable of sending
    or receiving signals transmitted on
    frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission for police emergency
    purposes and that:
    (1) can be installed, maintained, or operated in a vehicle; or
    (2) can be operated while it is being carried by an individual.
    The term does not include a radio designed for use only in a dwelling.
    As added by Acts 1977, P.L.342, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.162-1994, SEC.1.
    [/FONT]

spacer.gif
    INDIANA SCANNER INFORMATION

:twocents:

Milsurp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've got a uniden CB installed in my car. I've got a magnet mount wilson antenna that is usually laying down in my back seat. I usually only put up the antenna when I'm going on road trips to keep up with traffic info. It's useful for that and might be useful for SHTF, but overall I'm underwhelmed with CB radio.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've got a uniden CB installed in my car. I've got a magnet mount wilson antenna that is usually laying down in my back seat. I usually only put up the antenna when I'm going on road trips to keep up with traffic info. It's useful for that and might be useful for SHTF, but overall I'm underwhelmed with CB radio.

They were more fun 25 years ago. :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm glad someone raised this topic. I have a handheld CB in my truck, but it's been in there untouched for years, so the alkaline batteries I put it in are probably leaking all over everything near it. I need to check that.

The advantage I see with CBs over FMRS and GMRS is range. You can put a decent antenna on a CB and go several miles. You're out of luck antenna-wise with FMRS/GMRS, so no matter what they rate it in "miles," you're still not going to be able to talk to someone across town (unless you have line of sight). GMRS probably works great across a lake, though! Or maybe from the top of one hill to the top of another tall hill.

I've been toying with the idea of getting the ham license, but I know then I'll have to buy the gear too! Which I need, but it could get addictive and it could cut into my ammo budget. Of course, if I really need it someday, I'll wish I had done it.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I have a cb in my truck and my jeep. I have several hand held ones as well. My families hunting cabin has a base unit and several hand helds there as well.

Top Bottom