Cat deterrent...low-powered BB-gun or Airsoft?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Jan 18, 2013
    1633784690183.png

Relocate one by one. Where you take them is up to you. If they are collared and chipped, maybe the Humane Society and force the owners to pay the recovery fee?

Of perhaps find a farmer who would like to have a large number of cats around for rodent control?

Or simply find an area away from you that a cat could either find a place to live as a feral, find a new home or get eaten by a predator?

Elcardo

Marksman
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    My kid has a full auto airsoft m4 ...I think that would be perfect and it's pretty fun to shoot even when you're not defending your lawn from cat sh#t

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I guess it IS Halloween weekend so why not a zombie thread?

woman-zombie_1f9df-200d-2640-fe0f.png

dvd1955

Expert
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Seems like there have been a lot of ancient threads revived recently. And unexpectedly, in a lot of cases, it's not the new members doing the reviving. I do like the idea of a full auto m4 though, so I'm glad these are getting resurrected. I gotta look into that one.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Amazon product ASIN B072FMJFC4
    This stuff, and mothballs. And don't waste the opportunity to buy an airsoft
    gun. They really hate getting dinged by one, and it takes them awhile to associate it with you. But it doesn't hurt them.
    Sprinkle the repellent of choice in your beds, and along property lines. And between your lawn suddenly being olfactorally a lot less attractive, and the unpleasant experience of being occasionally sniped, you'll find your cat population greatly reduced.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Johnson County has an ordinance. 15-1-2-2

Put out a live trap, once captured call Johnson County Animal Control in Franklin. They will come get it or might ask you to bring it in. If it is chipped the owners will be notified. If it is not chipped, well, it will need to be adopted after it is spayed or neutered. The animal will be destroyed if no one adopts it within their timeframe. The owners, if identified will have to pay for the spay/neuter job, plus a $100 fine for allowing their animal to run loose. The 2nd time the animal ends up in the JCAC the fine is $500 or off to the gas chamber.

rugertoter

Master
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    When I was a kid, and my dad still lived on a farm in Ohio, we used to spend a weekend doing nothing, but picking off feral cats. You had to, they were everywhere.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    When I was a kid, and my dad still lived on a farm in Ohio, we used to spend a weekend doing nothing, but picking off feral cats. You had to, they were everywhere.

One of the few good points of having a thriving coyote population. Back when I lived in town I would find coyote tracks coming right up the street after the first couple of dusting snows. Presumably looking for a tasty cat or town rabbit.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    We had a cat issue when we lived in town a few years ago, their favorite litter box was the landscape area right next to the front porch & house. The smell was bad. Started live trapping them, called animal control & they would come get them. I believe there was such an issue with loose cats in Martinsville a few years ago that there was an ordinance against it. After trapping a few the problem went away.

I now use a bb gun as a squirrel on the bird feeder deterrent.

editl; LOL, just noticed this was a necropost

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I've used a paintball gun for years with great success. I have a few that still venture onto my property, likely strays, but for the most part the neighborhood cats will skirt the property line now or avoid the area completely.
    A few neighbors have came by and complained because their cats come home all painted and limping around. I tell them to thank God they still have a cat, they could've wound up fishbait. I ask them also do you have any issues with my pets and some say they don't like them, mainly because of the breed of dogs I have. I then reply atleast I keep them on my property and not letting them on theirs to crap all over their yard or being a nuisance to them. I really am a pretty good neighbor, I think. I mind my own business and take care of my responsibilities. One of my responsibilities is not to take care of theirs.

Top Bottom