Cat deterrent...low-powered BB-gun or Airsoft?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Unfortunately there is not a one size fits all solution. Although I do highly recommend life off of a post card. Although some like it, it is not for everyone.
    True. I don’t think I would notice cat poop on my property unless it was on a travel pathway. The dogs seem to keep everything away and I don’t have neighbors close by.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    We had pets with the kids growing up and became very attached. Even the cats as they were a hoot if you paid the right attention to them but when I had to put my Doberman down it broke my heart and no more.

Therapy animals have serious worth. Good pets do as well. They have worth.
    Sorry to hear about the Doberman, often doing the right thing is not easy, and it is difficult to look past personal attachment and wanting to keep your best friend versus doing the right thing for your four legged friend.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was told very recently by a "employee" from the Indiana DNR that they generally consider all cats that live outside to be feral, especially when out on DNR property. They are beyond detrimental to the songbird population as well as other small critters. They kill everything that crosses they're path if given the chance.
    I love cats... had them in my life forever. Unfortunately I'm allergic to them now so no more kitty's. If I can't keep it in the house... I won't have one. All my cats were house cats only. The only time they were outside was with me on their leash. Yes... lol, cat's can be trained to leash walk. Looks funny as heck and turns a lot of heads. Great way to meet the lady's! (looks over shoulder to see where wife is at) :shady:
    One thing that gets me fired up is to look out and see one of the 20 or so "outside" cats running the neighborhood setting under my bird feeder... that usually gets them ran off right quick. The thing that's been happening though that is UNACCEPTABLE... they're crapping in my flower beds and whizzing (marking) on my property. I'm on my 3rd front storm door and finally threw out the welcome mat... the smell is so bad you can't set on the front porch in the summer and the cat p*ss rotted out the doors.
    I've started putting RAT traps in the flower beds with chain anchors and a little dirt sprinkled over the top. Pretty amazing to hear "Snap.... meeeooowwww, hiss, hiss, spit, spit", look out and see a wad of fur in the rat trap and a cat doing warp speed across the lawn. The best was at the front door... 2 dozen mouse traps screwed to a piece of plywood in different directions... all set and waiting. Me and wife setting at the dinner table eating and here come's Mr. Spray Cat to do his daily marking... He stops, looks and sniffs... steps up to the plate to take a swing when all hell breaks loose... that 1st trap popped and that cat thought his feet were on fire! He danced like mowfo for a second, I've never seen a cat literally float in the the air suspended that long! He's a hollering and cussing and finally gets traction and takes off yowling like his ass was on fire and heads off to parts unknown. That was the last time I saw that pest. Every single trap was tripped!
    So well stated as to the pressure the Ferrall's put on any given area.
    Love the deterrents. Well done.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2011
    True. I don’t think I would notice cat poop on my property unless it was on a travel pathway. The dogs seem to keep everything away and I don’t have neighbors close by.
    Yeah I think stepping in it on my own property would make me less of a happy camper. I have ended up with it on my boots a time or two and you make time to stop and clean it off versus smelling it all day in the SUV.

EyeCarry

Master
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I won't say how i know or if I own one but a cheap wrist rocket/sling shot and a bag of marbles is good out to about 25 yards as a deterrent. Up close, well, let's say that I would not want to get hit.
    Marbles are reusable when you find them in the yard. Wear eyepro as a broken sling WILL put your eye out.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I'm a cat lover but I have my limits. In a former life many years ago, my next door neighbor had a big Tom that was a bully and would attack my cats at any opportunity. I missed a few opportunities but one day, I made a well placed shot to his backside (the Tom, not the neighbor) with a slingshot and marble. That did the trick and it didn't come around much after that.

tbhausen

Master
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Guess you failed to read the “Word Deterrent ” I will stand by assertion that dogs are a good deterrent to cats. Although I am by no means a fan of cats or dogs at large, if they are going to be pets they need to be cared for by a responsible party, such care includes keeping them with in the boundaries of where they belong. Understanding sometimes pets get out it should be the exception versus the norm.

Additionally we have this thing called a fence it’s horse climb proof, closely woven wire 6 feet tall, it to is a deterrent.
    Sorry I seemed to misunderstand. If the presence of dogs keeps them out and they’re not killing them, of course, that’s fine. Everyone knows what a dog or pack of dogs can and will do to a cat, though. Not a pretty way to die.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Sorry I seemed to misunderstand. If the presence of dogs keeps them out and they’re not killing them, of course, that’s fine. Everyone knows what a dog or pack of dogs can and will do to a cat, though. Not a pretty way to die.
    Death is rarely pretty. Occasionally it is useful and nature, though brutal at times, is rarely wasteful. Everybody is food for something.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2011
    No worries I may see things differently then some. We have 5 LGD’S at large on our property there is 6 foot fence around the perimeter, yeah that cost a bundle. It also has a hot wire at the top of the fence. So we try very hard keep unwanted things out. Still we have had a coyote or two that was stupid enough to climb the fence and get shocked on the way over.

At that point I will not feel bad over a deceased wanna be predator. As the Mouse stated we tend to look at things differently not better than anyone else, just different. When you have Wilson Combat money invested in a buck you do you best to make sure everyone is safe and well cared for.

Top Bottom