Cat deterrent...low-powered BB-gun or Airsoft?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think like 15% of people read the OP and give answers accordingly... I made that statistic up but I had the same problem when I asked about man bags. Hahaha! :rockwoot:

Correct...

78% of all statistics are made-up, anyhow.

And let's leave your man-bags out of this, Mkay?

Benny

Grandmaster
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Would it be too much of a confrontation for you to knock on their door and politely tell them that their cats are :poop:ing all over your yard and you'd like it to stop?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Water is effective, and I think an airsoft gun would be too.

We used warm water in the winter as an effective deterrent

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    vinegar/pepper around their points of entry to your yard, the motion-sensor/sprinkler system is an awesome idea, and a low-powered bb gun for when you actually catch one in the act. if killing is out, that's all i got! good luck!

bigus_D

Master
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    There is a product that you can spray on your yard that will deter the cats from coming over. I've seen it several places but can't remember exactly as I've never had this problem, but bet you can find some at most home home/garden store. I think this is your best option.

Super soaker w/ vinegar solution will also work well when you catch them.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I, unlike some others did actually read what the OP's issues were and what was and wasn't an option to take care of the issue............I have used moth balls for one of my neighbors cats before. It liked to get in the flowers and crush them and the wife was not happy about it. I used the moth balls just sprinkled in the flowers and the cat stopped coming by.

If they are just all over the place then just try dumping them all around the yard. Might work for you might not........but it is at the least a humane option.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    fishingcat.jpg

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Get a battery powered airsoft pistol. They are low enough velocity that it won't seriously injure the cat, but it will get the point across. I have one made to look like an HK P30 with a select fire switch and you can find one at Target or Meijer for roughly $40.

When I first moved into Avon we had a terrible problem with the neighbors cats sitting ontop of the cars and using the yard as their private commode. After about 4 suprise assaults with my airsoft pistol they quit coming around.

Bryanearl

Plinker
    Jul 11, 2010
    Rosedale, Indiana
    I would go with straight water hose or water pistol. Man they hate water! This way you dont look to bad and no one gets hurt and if the neighbor gets mouthy you can spray them too.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Jun 26, 2008
    [joke] You couldn't survive without Cathy. [/joke]

Seriously. Only joking. I promise.

please don't hate me

I'm not the one you need to worry about. I just told Cathy you called her a toothless Rottweiler, and as soon as she finds her teeth, you are screwed. Best run... I can only keep them hidden so long!!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Jun 26, 2008
    For an example of how vindictive she can be, check six o'clock on this target... She was pretending this guy was the one who made fun of her new haircut!!!

Shooting5-3-08002.jpg

Top Bottom