Cat deterrent...low-powered BB-gun or Airsoft?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    If you are talking other alternatives (as most folks are already):
    - live trap and relocate to an abandoned barn out in the country (I'll apologize in advance to you country-dwellers)

thanks for the apology,but if you are going to dump them ,you might as well kill them. Thats what happens around here after they are dumped.

Squatch

Plinker
    Feb 9, 2009
    I find myself in the same place, living next to a horder of cats and dogs. So far we have found nothing that works. Even with multiple violations, animal control and code enforcement won't do anything. They have a barrel of the winter's animal waste and news paper rotting in the back yard that will gag a horse. The cats are covered in fleas, lay in our front yard and destroy our plants. Yesterday I went out and one was laying there covered in so many flies that I thought it was dead. At this point I don't think they can smell anything else, so any kind of scent repellant doesn't work. Even airsoft and bb guns aren't legal in South Bend. Our other neighbor trapped probably a dozen at least until she started putting collars on them. From everything we have been reading, even though she is breaking multiple laws, she has all the rights. At this point if a person takes one in that is known to be hers, they can get into trouble because they are her property. At this point our only hope seems to be the city, and well it is South Bend.

Shane

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2008
    Most of our neighbor's cats are collared as well.

Don't get me wrong, these folks aren't hoarders of cats. The ones they have are just outdoor cats, and they're HUGE. They're all brown/gray tabbies. Attractive enough kitties, I suppose.

But they leave kitty squeezin's all over the yard.

I can't tell yet or not if it's the heat/low rain causing brown blotches or urine... But a small brown spot around a kitty pile is evidence enough.

And I KNOW it's cats, too. While just about everyone around us has dogs, they're NEVER in anyone else's yard. EVER.

If we were way out in the sticks, there'd be some propylene glycol-flavored goodies left out.

But seeing how, in this instance, the animals are "pets"... Plus the fact that it's illegal to purposely poison 'em. Personally I think that's rather underhanded, too.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If goal is to cause pain without permanent damage then a soft air would be the way to go, that or paint ball. A BB can to easily penetrate the skin. I would contact animal control in your area first and let them know they are a problem.

Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    :laugh: We must live pretty close to the same person, because you just described my neighbor and his pesky felines. I use the super soaker with a little white vinegar mixed in the water. Won't hurt the cats, but they hate it and stay away at least when I am around.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Throw the feces back into their yard. Additional points if you hit them.

The only other thing you can do is build a fence. If they're squeezing through an existing fence, chicken wire is cheap, easy to install, hard to see, and most of all effective.

Good luck!!

If it continues, trap them, take the collars off, and have them euthanized at animal control.

People need to learn they can't let their pets just run wild without any consequences.

Poisoning an animal or drowning it or dumping it is the cowards way out, IMO. If you don't have the sack to put an animal down humanely, you can at least have the guts to pay someone with stones to do it for you.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    don't I repeat DON'T use super colibri's even the 250fps ones, it will take of the problem permanently no matter what your buddy tells you to the contrary.:):

jclark

Grandmaster
    Feb 24, 2009
    Collect all the kitty soft serve in a 5 gallon bucket. When it is full. dump it in your neighbor's front yard.
    Paintball works great,but it will get you in trouble if you get caught.

Benny

Grandmaster
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I have thought about flinging the poo back over into their yard, too. But my luck, they'd be back there when I did it. Some of you are different, but I HATE confrontation.

I could shoot you a PM next time I'm going to be in Indy? I'll wait until they go outside to start flinging. I welcome confrontation with inconsiderate a-holes.

You could always shovel it all up and deposit it on their doorstep when they aren't home.

BTW, you need a dog.

ANTIFREEZE!!!

I heard they made it to where antifreeze isn't sweet anymore.

tuoder

Expert
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Cats don't have a concept of property. They really can't be expected to be both outdoor cats and not poop wherever the mood strikes them. If you catch and reloacte them, eventually they will figure out not to go into the traps, or they will figure out that (wet cat food, or whatever) the bait is worth the hassle.

That being said, the owners should be held responsible for their cat's actions. I'd say you should relocate the poop, not the cats.

You should deliver the poop onto your neighbors welcome mat as a courtesy. You might also consider incinerating it right there as a neighborly service for them. I've found gasoline helps the process considerably.

Top Bottom