• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Sorry these are just dumb questions from a guy who has never seen a bobcat or a bobcat track in his 6 decades. Say there are 1000 in the state with some counties having a couple and some having many. Overall how many would be culled from the areas where they are overpopulating? Besides Turkey populations what other species are they having a significant impact on?
    Each district has an appropriate biologist, call him up and ask them. If they are not in the field they will take your call. Wouldn’t swear to it rite now, but numbers could always be found in the IDNR regs. Site.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    They are definitely around in many countries I just don't think they are as big of a nuisance as some think they are. Be interesting to know how many nuisance permits are issued each year to take them now in Indiana.
    www.in.gov/dnr/fish-and-wildlife/wildlife-resources/animals/bobcats

Here is the latest map of reported Bobcats….personally I would only back a Trapping season NO hunting seasons(same as Otters)

The one in starke county was my report when I had one on my trail cameras.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    We commonly get them on trails cams here, see their tracks a lot. I can count on one hand the ones I have actually seen in person though. They are extremely wary.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    From Indiana Wildlife Federation ……

* A bill of the highest concern to our members is SB 241 "Taking of Bobcats." As noted above, IWF has taken a neutral stance on this bill.

Wildlife management, as dictated by the best available science, is vital for managing healthy wildlife populations in our state, while promoting recreation opportunities for sportsmen and women. Senate Bill 241 mandates the Indiana Department of Natural Resources to implement a season “to take bobcats not later than July 1 of 2025.” While the Indiana Wildlife Federation would rather see these decisions be made by the DNR, we would support a sustainable bobcat harvest if the data suggests it warranted.

We urge the state legislature to empower the DNR to manage all wildlife populations. Allowing the DNR to utilize their scientific expertise and adapt to changing conditions will ensure both bobcat sustainability and robust public involvement.
    Previously, IWF has opposed bobcat harvest due to a lack of rigorous science to justify a season. Since 2019 wildlife biologists in the state have gathered population data and if they have the data to suggest that the bobcat population in Indiana is large enough to allow for a scientifically managed harvest IWF will support it. We urge the DNR to deploy a conservative model, like how they have managed other species in our state, ensuring the long-term viability of bobcats throughout Indiana for all Hoosiers to enjoy.
    A bobcat harvest offers a welcome opportunity for responsible wildlife management. However, let's learn from this experience and empower our DNR to make wildlife management decisions, ensuring a healthy future for Hoosier wildlife and the ecosystems they call home.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mij

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The only guy who voted against it said he did it to represent the people who opposed it. He said it wouldn't look good if it were unanimous
    Fady is an anti who represents part of Indianapolis. Maybe a few schnoodles or other assorted purse-dogs getting devoured in his district would change tune. I doubt it, but maybe.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    From Indiana Wildlife Federation ……

* A bill of the highest concern to our members is SB 241 "Taking of Bobcats." As noted above, IWF has taken a neutral stance on this bill.

Wildlife management, as dictated by the best available science, is vital for managing healthy wildlife populations in our state, while promoting recreation opportunities for sportsmen and women. Senate Bill 241 mandates the Indiana Department of Natural Resources to implement a season “to take bobcats not later than July 1 of 2025.” While the Indiana Wildlife Federation would rather see these decisions be made by the DNR, we would support a sustainable bobcat harvest if the data suggests it warranted.

We urge the state legislature to empower the DNR to manage all wildlife populations. Allowing the DNR to utilize their scientific expertise and adapt to changing conditions will ensure both bobcat sustainability and robust public involvement.
    Previously, IWF has opposed bobcat harvest due to a lack of rigorous science to justify a season. Since 2019 wildlife biologists in the state have gathered population data and if they have the data to suggest that the bobcat population in Indiana is large enough to allow for a scientifically managed harvest IWF will support it. We urge the DNR to deploy a conservative model, like how they have managed other species in our state, ensuring the long-term viability of bobcats throughout Indiana for all Hoosiers to enjoy.
    A bobcat harvest offers a welcome opportunity for responsible wildlife management. However, let's learn from this experience and empower our DNR to make wildlife management decisions, ensuring a healthy future for Hoosier wildlife and the ecosystems they call home.
    I would like to agree with this, but they are a bureaucracy and cannot be left to their own devices or you end up with runaway activism. As with government at every level, there must be objective measures put in place any time a bureaucracy is granted authority by the Legislature.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    At least 5yrs ago my brother had one close to his stand during bow season. North jasper county near the kankakee river.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Unfortunately seasons are not based on population. Not a big fan of a bobcat season just yet, but to put it in perspective, how long has it been since you seen a gray fox? I guarantee we have waaaay more bobcats than gray fox,and have a 5+ month season on them with no bag limit....

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What are they based on? I've never laid eyes on a wild mink in Indiana but I know we have no shortage of them and they are fair game for trapping. Otters were trapped out of Indiana, were reintroduced and now they can be trapped again due to the population reaching sustainable levels.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    What are they based on? I've never laid eyes on a wild mink in Indiana but I know we have no shortage of them and they are fair game for trapping. Otters were trapped out of Indiana, were reintroduced and now they can be trapped again due to the population reaching sustainable levels.
    Supposed to get my mink today or tomorrow from my taxidermist. This is my first year ever to triple on mink. 3 in one day. Been trapping for over 60 years.

The fur bearer biologist for each division makes recommendations after they do their counts, then makes recommendations to the DNR. Then the director must make rule changes based on his own conclusions. At least that’s the way it was done in the past. Couldn’t swear it’s still the same.

Top Bottom