• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    What are they based on? I've never laid eyes on a wild mink in Indiana but I know we have no shortage of them and they are fair game for trapping. Otters were trapped out of Indiana, were reintroduced and now they can be trapped again due to the population reaching sustainable levels.
    Mink are probably 99% nocturnal,plus have a large home range -they are never "thick". I can see otters, beaver and bald eagles pretty much daily. Gray fox used to be very common and easy to call. I had a couple friends that called and killed 14 in one night probably 35 years ago. I haven't seen one or had one on camera for over 25 years,yet there is a hunting and trapping season 5 months long with no bag limit. Anyone here seen a gray lately?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Mink are probably 99% nocturnal,plus have a large home range -they are never "thick". I can see otters, beaver and bald eagles pretty much daily. Gray fox used to be very common and easy to call. I had a couple friends that called and killed 14 in one night probably 35 years ago. I haven't seen one or had one on camera for over 25 years,yet there is a hunting and trapping season 5 months long with no bag limit. Anyone here seen a gray lately?
    Ya, took a few this season. Scrub brush area near the tippy in white county. Coyotes have about wiped them out. They tend to be in more scrub area, they can see n scent but also hide. As opposed to the reds that stay out in the open where they can see n scent for a long distance.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Ya, took a few this season. Scrub brush area near the tippy in white county. Coyotes have about wiped them out. They tend to be in more scrub area, they can see n scent but also hide. As opposed to the reds that stay out in the open where they can see n scent for a long distance.
    Yes, I used to both trap and call them back in the 80's- they were as common as possums back then. I feel that distemper wiped grays and groundhogs out about the same time. It's easy to blame coyotes and bobcats, but places like Texas is full of all these plus deer& turkey...

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Yes, I used to both trap and call them back in the 80's- they were as common as possums back then. I feel that distemper wiped grays and groundhogs out about the same time. It's easy to blame coyotes and bobcats, but places like Texas is full of all these plus deer& turkey...
    From what I observed they seem to follow the rabbit population cycles. But this is kind’a common knowledge and conventional thinking. I do remember when they were putting in I-65 North of Lafayette we would use the rite of way to trap along in the winter, we could expect to get many each day. Now nothing. Those places are all little pink houses and truck stops. I think habitat loss has as much to do with it as anything. Remember when pheasants were all over Benton County, now with no fence rows, none. Modern farming practices have done as much to eradicate game and fur as much as anything else. Just my opinion of course.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    MacGregor Park in Hamilton County, Spring of '22.

ibHdB0b.jpg

About an inch and a half across. I should have laid my car keys next to it for scale when I snapped the pic.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    PETA simply wants to delay it any way possible because boohoo. September 2025 is more than ample time to put together a viable management plan. It's not like we're in unchartered territory here and we're the first state in the nation to have bobcats.

Reactions: Mij

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    PETA simply wants to delay it any way possible because boohoo. September 2025 is more than ample time to put together a viable management plan. It's not like we're in unchartered territory here and we're the first state in the nation to have bobcats.
    Don't believe there will be enough time for the process to work for a 2025 season……2026 is more of a reality if it happens.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Don't believe there will be enough time for the process to work for a 2025 season……2026 is more of a reality if it happens.
    2025 was the deadline to formulate a plan, I assumed that meant 2026 at the earliest for a season. I don't know how we'll treat them on the hunting farm yet. We had a female with cubs this spring and have had photos of bobcats pretty consistently on the farm since he bought it four years ago. The turkey population seems to be doing very well and we're still seeing rabbits and quail. If that continues I suspect they'll get a pass if we see one while hunting but we'll probably no longer go through the hassle of releasing one if it gets into one of the coyote traps.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    2025 was the deadline to formulate a plan, I assumed that meant 2026 at the earliest for a season. I don't know how we'll treat them on the hunting farm yet. We had a female with cubs this spring and have had photos of bobcats pretty consistently on the farm since he bought it four years ago. The turkey population seems to be doing very well and we're still seeing rabbits and quail. If that continues I suspect they'll get a pass if we see one while hunting but we'll probably no longer go through the hassle of releasing one if it gets into one of the coyote traps.
    It may just be a tapping only type of season in select countries… I don’t see a state wide season with multiple bag limits. Last time it was proposed it was only in 32 countries in SE !

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I suspect they'll open a season south of I70 statewide and maybe a few counties in NE IN for starters. I don't have any idea what they'll set as far as bag limits are concerned.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    I'm all for a bobcat season. Since we started seeing bobcats around home and where we hunt, the turkey population has went way down. Used to see fields with 40 turkeys in them every year, now its maybe 5-10 turkeys in fields.

On the properties we own, we have large numbers of turkeys. And I catch bobcats on my cameras all the time. They haven't impacted turkey numbers here at all. In fact, the turkey numbers are as high as I've seen them.

Top Bottom