Billions of Brood X cicadas — and their buzzing sound — will soon emerge across Indiana

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They are waning quickly in our neighborhood. You can hear the birds sing again, the noise has dropped of precipitously.

And far less carcasses on the streets, driveway and porch.

Dog just discovered they are tasty. Glad we are on the backside of this. :)
    Couldn't help but notice their absence today. Don't know if the monsoon helped this along or what?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Couldn't help but notice their absence today. Don't know if the monsoon helped this along or what?
    Yeah, maybe this will have ended it. I'm not holding my breath but at least the streets should have all the cicadas and grease spots washed off!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We have the same. All of us in the neighborhood do. But the cicadas are back out flying.

And I found out something interesting; when I run my leaf blower they come swarming. I don't know what's up with that!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    when I run my leaf blower they come swarming. I don't know what's up with that!
    You go 17 years without a blow!

I haven’t heard them at all this year. I usually hear the “regular” ones in the evenings, but nothing this year. Lightning bugs have been out, but no cicadas. I did hear them when driving on 70 the other day. I thought I had a bearing or something starting to hum, when I turned down the radio and rolled down the window I could tell it was them. As soon as I went by the patch of woods it was back to silence.

Honestly, I kinda enjoy the sound normally.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The wife says she loves the sound. I was hoping we would be part of this brood, just so she could hear the real singing.

No such luck, so I guess she will still like them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Honestly, I kinda enjoy the sound normally.
    Just go shooting regularly without ear pro for a few years. Soon, like me, it will always be a summer's evening in your head! Cicadas, tree frogs, crickets... I've got it all! :):

I've been plugging my ears from time to time since this swarm was first announced to see if it was them or me that I was hearing. It's just been me at my place.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Just go shooting regularly without ear pro for a few years. Soon, like me, it will always be a summer's evening in your head! Cicadas, tree frogs, crickets... I've got it all! :):

I've been plugging my ears from time to time since this swarm was first announced to see if it was them or me that I was hearing. It's just been me at my place.
    Is that what tinitis is? I have a low ring from all the racing engines/guns/CNC machines over the years but not that bad, yikes

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is that what tinitis is? I have a low ring from all the racing engines/guns/CNC machines over the years but not that bad, yikes
    Yep, that's what it is. It doesn't bother me really. I mean, in the dead of winter, who doesn't long for the sound of crickets, cicadas and tree frogs? :): What I find fascinating is that it is pretty loud (in my head) sometimes, but doesn't interfere with my regular hearing. It's like it's on a different "channel" or something. I can hear "it" and regular sounds equally well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My tinnitus is a different sound from the Cicadas. I hear a fairly high pitched ring. Almost what you would think a dog hears when you blow a dog whistle.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    My tinnitus is a different sound from the Cicadas. I hear a fairly high pitched ring. Almost what you would think a dog hears when you blow a dog whistle.
    That’s how mine is, but mines so minor I never notice it unless I’m in complete silence. I’m sure as I get older it’ll get worse, but hopefully not as bad as DD’s

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Bad? Why do you hate summer sounds?? :): Seriously though, I've heard of people literally driven to suicide over their tinnitus. I just choose to embrace it.
    Wow! I guess that would be torturous to hear that constantly! I always wondered how dad dealt with my moms nagging sometimes. Now I think I know. He couldn’t hear her.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Bad? Why do you hate summer sounds?? :): Seriously though, I've heard of people literally driven to suicide over their tinnitus. I just choose to embrace it.
    A lot of time I don't really "hear" it if I'm focused on other things. But I hear it more when I wear ear pro and if I think about it.

And a loud noise will set it off even more. Like when I walk into an indoor range with only one layer of ear pro and the guy next to me touches off a 44 mag.

I have to sleep with a white noise generator though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A lot of time I don't really "hear" it if I'm focused on other things. But I hear it more when I wear ear pro and if I think about it.

And a loud noise will set it off even more. Like when I walk into an indoor range with only one layer of ear pro and the guy next to me touches off a 44 mag.

I have to sleep with a white noise generator though.
    Yep, about the same for me. To go to sleep, I put the tv on sleep timer so it shuts off after 90 minutes - 2 hrs.. That's my white noise since I keep the volume down so low that I'd have to work at it to hear what they're saying.

Top Bottom