Billions of Brood X cicadas — and their buzzing sound — will soon emerge across Indiana

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They seem to get gobbled up quick here. The birds are going nuts grabbing them, some nimble enough to catch them in the air.

I noticed more turkeys and their young, active in the pastures and edge of my yard.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Perry County is in full swing the hill people are probably eating them.
    It‘s quite something out in the hills!
    Yeah, its LOUD here. We can hear them in the house even over the TV and the AC. The Boss has cranked the volume up on the TV so she can hear it. We haven't resorted to eating them just yet but the turkeys are making a feast of them. Even the coons and possums are coming out early in the evening and staying out later in the morning getting their share. Finding lots of just the wings laying everywhere, even in town, so something is eating a bunch.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm thinking we're just not going to get any this year. Surely it's been warm enough for long enough for them to come out if they were going to. Maybe we've got a different "cycle" or something. Oh well. I'll always have the ones in my head. :):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm thinking we're just not going to get any this year. Surely it's been warm enough for long enough for them to come out if they were going to. Maybe we've got a different "cycle" or something. Oh well. I'll always have the ones in my head. :):
    When I was at the range today, I turned on my ear pro. It was pretty wild sounding. :)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    When I go outside on my property, it's so deafening I'm considering ear protection.

The echo they create off in the distance sounds like you're inside a long pipe.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Oh wow, I bet! So I take it there are a bunch down there?
    They don't fly around the actual bays much but I'm guessing by the sound the trees are pretty loaded.

In our neighborhood, they are basically swarming. Flying everywhere. I usually give a few a ride on my shoulder or hat when I cut the grass.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    a pic I found someone posted locally. I heard them all up near dean and 86th.

Attachments

• FFEDE78B-4F04-4870-B141-835679E45A1A.jpeg
      FFEDE78B-4F04-4870-B141-835679E45A1A.jpeg
      650.1 KB · Views: 7

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I haven’t been able to sit outside all week. Apple Watch measures 90-102 decibels
    They say they can get over 100db. Guess you proved it!

And for some reason, they are really flying a lot today. Basically a swarm in my neighbor and my yards.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They say they can get over 100db. Guess you proved it!

And for some reason, they are really flying a lot today. Basically a swarm in my neighbor and my yards.
    There were a bunch along 63 north of Covington loud enough i could hear them over the semi while driving. Thankfully those at home are gentler about it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We are seeing them start to die now. I have 20+ dead ones on my front porch or the last two mornings and they fly into it during the day and die there.

I've watched a couple of them, then come flying in and hit the porch floor on their backs.

Top Bottom