Billions of Brood X cicadas — and their buzzing sound — will soon emerge across Indiana

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    About a week before the cicadas started coming out, we were inundated with a flock of wild turkeys and a large red-headed woodpecker (he frequents the woods behind our place). They were aerating the ground around all the trees (large stand of white pines on both north and south sides of the house) as they were pecking holes in the ground. I am sure they were digging the larvae out. Since the cicadas started hatching and actually emerging, the turkeys and woodpecker have disappeared.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We haven't heard or seen a single one in our yard. Wife and kiddo were at McCloud last Friday, and per the naturalist, they had seen a grand total of 3. Guessing they just haven't emerged yet?

My kiddo has her net and bug cage ready. Not sure she really understands what is about to happen.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    About a week before the cicadas started coming out, we were inundated with a flock of wild turkeys and a large red-headed woodpecker (he frequents the woods behind our place). They were aerating the ground around all the trees (large stand of white pines on both north and south sides of the house) as they were pecking holes in the ground. I am sure they were digging the larvae out. Since the cicadas started hatching and actually emerging, the turkeys and woodpecker have disappeared.
    The Cicadas do aerate the yard. I was actually thinking of doing that this year. Now I don't have to!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't think ground temps are consistent everywhere. I still have them coming up in different spots, after 4-5 days. The birds are still going crazy eating them.

The neighbors just started seeing them today. I could hear their singing for the last couple days, but it sounds distant. Betting it will get louder...

There are a lot more of them flying today. One landed on my arm, when I had hands full of stuff. :runaway:

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    We watched several hundred come out from 10-midnight last night on the in-laws pasture and woods. Weirdly they're not screaming yet but they are certainly present.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    They were hatching big time at a friends place on Lake Santee (near Greensburg) this past weekend.
    BFEAEE8C-60B2-44F1-9C25-00BEC2D7D57D.jpeg
    I haven’t seen a single one up here near Zionsville

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    They are definitely here of should I say hear! It was getting a little loud this afternoon and I expect it will be getting worse. Birds are having a field day on them, saw a couple fly off with one in their beak.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    They are definitely here of should I say hear! It was getting a little loud this afternoon and I expect it will be getting worse. Birds are having a field day on them, saw a couple fly off with one in their beak.
    Birds eat so much that they get too stuffed to continue. And the bird populations usually grow after this event for the next few years. Same with trees. They have a growth spurt that usually lasts about 3 years. Predators do better too.

Some of the studies surmise that one reason so many come out so infrequently (17 years) is so that they can overcome their predators, get them so full that others go on to propagate the next brood. It keeps them from being decimated if they came out more frequently with lesser amounts.

I don't know what of the science I read on them is accurate and several sources state that since they only come out every 17 years, it is hard to compile a lot of data.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I had one in my boat yesterday at Sweetwater lake. Maybe my memory is not so good but this one was much more colorful than I remember seeing before.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Saw my first one yesterday in the back yard, northern Vermillion County, haven't noticed them making noise. It was actually pretty with bright orange highlights.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Wow! I've only seen one in my yard North side of Indy. I've seen some ground holes.

This is nowhere near as bad as the last cicada hatch ~8 years ago. I'm not sure what that last wave was called but my dogs wouldn't stop eating them.
    Yep my old walker coon hound filled his belly to almost bursting on them 17 years ago. This time I haven't seen many. My one dog he ate a few that he found but we haven't had more than around 20 or so thus far this year.

I bet just about everything in the wild eats them. Makes you wonder how many do get ate when they appear.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    We just left Lincoln State Park and their sound is near deafening. Started getting louder as the sun set.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Up here in Allen County I just got a report that our local hotspots (Camp McMillen and Izaak Walton League) are having a mass emergence right now and we should be hearing them in a few days.

Top Bottom