Billions of Brood X cicadas — and their buzzing sound — will soon emerge across Indiana

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Still have yet to see or hear the first one. Mrs Monkey brought it up tonight at the fire. For us, its less than normal. We normally hear one or two. and find about a dozen shells around the place throughout the summer. But they are totally absent here still.

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    I haven’t gone searching for them, but we aren’t hearing them at all here in Madison Co. yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I work 50-60 hour weeks of exclusively second and third shift and I'm getting very tired of the weedeater noise all day long.

Virch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2018
    Greenville
    It was a deafening cacophony in Floyd county up until this weekend. Between the cooler temps and the rain, they've quieted down considerably.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't wholly get it, but although we seem to have had hordes of the bugs emerge and they seem to be everywhere, the singing is much worse in other places than right here.

You can certainly hear them here, seemingly distant. 100-200 yards off maybe? A mile down the road, driving with the windows down, it sounds as if the screaming is way louder.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Not suppose to get the 17 year cicadas up here in Lake County for another 3 years I believe. Usually have cicadas humming annually though. Not a single one yet, but seems like its mid to late June before I normally see signs

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I hear them in the trees, but don't see many lower down. Surrounded by thousands of acres of HNF they have plenty of space.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not suppose to get the 17 year cicadas up here in Lake County for another 3 years I believe. Usually have cicadas humming annually though. Not a single one yet, but seems like its mid to late June before I normally see signs

And here I thought I just couldn't hear the big 17 year thing because of the ringing in my ears.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Same here. I keep sticking my fingers in my ears every once in awhile to see if it's them or me that I'm hearing. So far, it's still just me. :):

At work, the PA (Public Address system) was warbling. But it matched the sound in my ears.
    So, guys in the control room are looking at me, when one finally said, "are you going to do something about that noise?"
    Huh?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I can see they are getting thicker here where I live. They are flying a lot more. I have them land on me regularly when I walk the dog and we pass by a couple trees that are absolutely stuffed full of them. Enough that branches are falling off the trees. And it is very loud when you pass under those trees.

Crazy. I'm not sure I picked the best time to rescreen my porch! :)

Top Bottom