• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    IDK how we swerved into a discussion about the confederacy, but I guess the Ingo way is to swerve sometimes.
    If we grant the premise that the confederate battle flag and its racist connotations are baggage of the right, let’s compare that to how the left embraces/eschews the racist elements in their midst. I know of no one in the positions of power or notoriety that embraces that stuff on the right. Whereas you can’t swing a dead cat among lefties without hitting one of them sympathizing and championing the various manifiestations of modern racism on their side.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    How? You think posting 10 commandments in school is gonna make kids think, oh, that's a good idea. I think I should start honoring my parents?

My prediction is, students will vandalize the displays and teachers will turn a blind eye if not even help. The contempt for religion is high. This isn't the 90's, the golden age of evangelical political power. They squandered it on the likes of Jerry Fallwell. Posting the thing they resent will not help them accept it.
    The Word of God will not return void.

Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

You may be right for how some/many will react, but deep down everyone knows God has some requirements.

Seeing them written down will have a positive affect.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I’ll take my share of the heat for that, I’m easily distra
    I think it started when there was a misunderstanding where I posted that the MAGA movement isn't exclusively meant for white people. To which you replied pointing out that there are MAGA supporters that fly the confederate battle flag which isn't very welcoming after which I said I don't condone that and clarified what I meant was that the MAGA movement isn't exclusively designed to be beneficial for white people only. I added the word "beneficial" for clarification and that's what I meant.

Last edited:

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    If we grant the premise that the confederate battle flag and its racist connotations are baggage of the right, let’s compare that to how the left embraces/eschews the racist elements in their midst. I know of no one in the positions of power or notoriety that embraces that stuff on the right. Whereas you can’t swing a dead cat among lefties without hitting one of them sympathizing and championing the various manifiestations of modern racism on their side.

I don’t disagree in the least.

Identity politics seem to serve the Democrat party well, but the greater impacts on our culture are devastating...it’s theatre at its worst, especially when people start to take it seriously.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

You may be right for how some/many will react, but deep down everyone knows God has some requirements.

Well, that's certainly the opinion of many.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

They would have a positive effect for YOU...

They would have a positive effect for ME...

I mean, It's the word of God, so if you believe, yeah, it's gonna effect you when you see that reminder up there on the wall.
    "Oh yeah, gotta keep on the path."

The the average staff member or kid who was never exposed to faith at home... it would be just another thing to ignore... or destroy, most likely without any consequence at all.

Unless there would be some type of revival of decent Christian based morals within the system to go along with it... wouldn't help.

I'd still like to see it though... for those who DO believe.
    THEY deserve it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What point are you trying to make here, that the confederate battle flag isn’t an icon of racism?
    I said the point I'm making. It's ignorant to assume that that flag is accompanied by racists. In the South it is more of a symbol of Southern culture, not a symbol of racism. It's everywhere.

Do I really have to post photos of KKK rallies here?

I mean…you already know which flags they’ll be flying.

Okay so some people use that as a racist symbol, that means all uses are racist. I think you should spend some time in the South.

Are you trying to say it’s only a racist symbol sometimes? Maybe like only when really racist racists use it to be really super overtly racist?
    Are you getting snarky with me? Many millions of people just look at that flag as a symbol of Southern culture. Just because people use it to symbolize something bad, it can only be used for that now?

Let me ask you this: you are hosting a dinner party for your work colleagues - of multiple different racial and ethnic backgrounds - at your home in Indiana. For the sake of this example you have one small flagpole holder next to your front door.

Do you fly your confederate flag at your door that evening?
    Well. Not me. I don't care about that flag. I'm not part of the culture. But, I can talk about friends and neighbors where I lived in Missippi. Can you please tell me about your experience? Are you going to assume that every white person there is racist? How bigoted is that?

I can think of countless reasons not to, but only one reason to do so: to send a clear message to non-whites that they are unwelcome, because that’s exactly how they’d see it.
    Well that's just ignorant.

Why don’t we ask all the black INGOers what they think?

In Indiana, it doesn't fly. It's a different culture here. In many places in the South, it's viewed more as a cultural icon than a racist one. I've met more racists and bigots in Indiana than I did when I lived in Missippi. A lot of other kinds of bigots too.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don’t want to associate myself with the symbols favored by slave-owning losers.

I struggle to understand why anyone else would choose to either…the message it sends is crystal clear.

Again, that's bigoted. You should move to a Southern state. Get to know the people. Maybe go to a neighborhood BBQ. You might see that flag. But try not too gawk to hard at the black people there.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think it started when there was a misunderstanding where I posted that the MAGA movement isn't exclusively meant for white people. To which you replied pointing out that there are MAGA supporters that fly the confederate battle flag which isn't very welcoming after which I said I don't condone that and clarified what I meant was that the MAGA movement isn't exclusively designed to be beneficial for white people only. I added the word "beneficial" for clarification and that's what I meant.
    I think people need to understand it first. I don't care about that flag. But I have met a lot of kind Southern people who see it as more of a cultural icon. There's a lot more nuance to understand about it than that it can only ever be a racist symbol. Even Kut, of all people, understood that. I think it's bigoted to condemn an entire culture based on preconceptions, without knowing any of them.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

qKaya7m.png

g6GVGR6.png

They don't have a problem with it, they have a problem with you.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don’t want to associate myself with the symbols favored by slave-owning losers.

I struggle to understand why anyone else would choose to either…the message it sends is crystal clear.

That's just about every single flag of every single nation that hasn't been changed in the past 200 years. And basically every historic cultural icon.

Unless you meant to say that you don't have a problem with those, only a problem with ones related to the US.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think people need to understand it first. I don't care about that flag. But I have met a lot of kind Southern people who see it as more of a cultural icon. There's a lot more nuance to understand about it than that it can only ever be a racist symbol. Even Kut, of all people, understood that. I think it's bigoted to condemn an entire culture based on preconceptions, without knowing any of them.
    I think where the flag issue blurs the line is over flying the confederate battle flag which is seen as a symbol of engaging in battle to preserve slavery. LG pointed out that some Trump supporters are flying the battle flag but then again both flags battle and confederate states flag are seen equally the same. To some they both represent racism there is no distinction. Some don't even know the difference.

Like I said IDK exactly why they fly the battle flag in particular, maybe some are racist, but a lot of people automatically see it as a universal symbol whether they are racists or not that sheds a bad light on MAGA. I'm not one of them that perceives it that way.

Again like I told LG I don't have a need or desire to do it nor do I see a need for it to be flown at Trump rallies, but then again, I'm a Yankee. A Yankee who understands though that many southerners fly the flag as a symbol of pride in their southern culture. and I don't begudge or look down on them for that. I'm not engaged in a civil war with them.

I would just be curious though to know how many southern blacks fly the flag to show their pride in the southern culture? It appears to be predominantly a white thing and I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Blacks have other ways to show their southern cultural pride.

In the end it's just another thing for MAGA haters to pin on them but they paint them in a bad light anyway with or without the flag. They don't care to know exactly why they fly the flag.

Last edited:

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Like I said IDK exactly why they fly the battle flag in particular, but a lot of people automatically see it as a universal symbol that sheds a bad light on MAGA.

Again like I told LG I don't have a need or desire to do it nor do I see a need for it to be flown at Trump rallies, but then again, I'm a Yankee. A Yankee that understands though that many southerners fly the flag as a symbol of pride in their southern culture. and I don't begudge or look down on them for that.

It's just another thing for MAGA haters to pin on them but they paint them in a bad light anyway with or without the flag. They don't care to know exactly why they fly the flag.
    It is something that starts early for a southerner. They call it the Bible belt for a reason. There is something Yankees don't celebrate as much as the south does, Memorial Day.In the south, it is known as Flag Day.Most churches have their cemeteries near by.Kids grow up seeing ancestors who fought for their country with Confederate flags flying on their headstones .Northern soldiers fly Old Glory,and the southern Confederate headstones fly the Southern Cross.Both flags flys on Flag Day. Children see this flag in their church cemeteries from the time they are small and now are told to hate the flag ,and not have pride in your southern history. The flag will never fully go away,and with the uneducated masses viewing it as only a racist symbol ,and statues destroyed, the cancel culture will always have their boogie man. Do some racists fly it? Sure .Do some fly the U.S. flag,sure.Are all Republicans racists? Sure.Are any Democrats racist? Absolutely Not. Does it belong at a Trump rally ? NO.
    confederate-flags-line-grave-sites-in-the-confederate-section-of-jefferson-barracks-national-c...jpg

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think where the flag issue blurs the line is over flying the confederate battle flag which is seen as a symbol of engaging in battle to preserve slavery. LG pointed out that some Trump supporters are flying the battle flag but then again both flags battle and confederate states flag are seen equally the same. To some they both represent racism there is no distinction. Some don't even know the difference.

Like I said IDK exactly why they fly the battle flag in particular, maybe some are racist, but a lot of people automatically see it as a universal symbol whether they are racists or not that sheds a bad light on MAGA.

If you see someone born and raised in the North, no familial ties to the South, flying the flag, it's a lot more likely those are racists than if they're Southerners.

Again like I told LG I don't have a need or desire to do it nor do I see a need for it to be flown at Trump rallies, but then again, I'm a Yankee. A Yankee who understands though that many southerners fly the flag as a symbol of pride in their southern culture. and I don't begudge or look down on them for that. I'm not engaged in a civil war with them.

I would just be curious though to know how many southern blacks fly the flag to show their pride in the southern culture? It appears to be predominantly a white thing and I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Blacks have other ways to show their southern cultural pride.
    In my experience not many, but that's just from people I've encountered the 8 years I lived in Missippi. I don't ever remember it being discussed though. And this was 20 years ago. long before Democrats created a wedge issue out of it. So I can't speak for how people view it now. It's a different generation.

In the end it's just another thing for MAGA haters to pin on them but they paint them in a bad light anyway with or without the flag. They don't care to know exactly why they fly the flag.

Obviously. LG, for example. Just eager to find the worst motivations. Some people wouldn't know a real ass racist/bigot if one were staring back in the mirror.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If you see someone born and raised in the North, no familial ties to the South, flying the flag, it's a lot more likely those are racists than if they're Southerners.
    I would agree with that. I think also that some of those northerners just see it as a cool rebellious thing to do. "I'm gonna fly the rebel flag because I want to be rebellious." To them it's just a symbol of rebellion.

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Do I really have to post photos of KKK rallies here?

Sir, you really need to drop the KKK argument from your quiver. For all intents and purposes, the KKK is dead, and has been for several decades. There is maybe a thousand or two active members out of, what, 200 million white Americans? And in my 60 plus years, living in the North and the south, I've never met one person who supported anything to do with the KKK.

It's a specious argument. Let It die it's proper death.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think also that some of those northerners just see it as a cool rebellious thing to do. "I'm gonna fly the rebel flag because I want to be rebellious." To them it's just a symbol of rebellion.
    I think that's true too. Back in the late 70s when I was in high school a lot of dudes had that flag on their trucks. It probably was a symbol of rebellion. But you bring up a good point. I don't recall any of them speaking of the flag as being the confederate battle flag. They just called it the rebel flag. But trendy progressives will step into conversations and assert that it has to be what they say it is. I dunno. Probably because they saw it on CNN.

Like I said, I don't really give a flying **** about the flag itself. I don't own one, and would not buy one. I'm not culturally Southern. I'm certainly not a Confederate sympathizer. What I care about is bigots obstinately associating an entire region of people as members of a hate group. In my experience there are way more people who identify with the rebel flag for cultural reasons that have nothing to do with racism.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sir, you really need to drop the KKK argument from your quiver. For all intents and purposes, the KKK is dead, and has been for several decades. There is maybe a thousand or two active members out of, what, 200 million white Americans? And in my 60 plus years, living in the North and the south, I've never met one person who supported anything to do with the KKK.

It's a specious argument. Let It die it's proper death.

The demand for racism far exceeds its supply.

Top Bottom