• ...and so much more!
  • buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Looks like they have role models.

Despite Efforts, Sexual Assaults Up Nearly 40% in US Military​

I'm guessing the increase has more to do with the changing definitions of sexual assault combined with an increase in the percentage of incidents that are reported because of the media attention. It's asinine to think that actual incidents increased considering the microscope this behavior is under.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The point was, don't be throwing stones at Afghans when the Army is just as screwed up.
    I don't know if I would have used a story about the military to justify afghan rapers but okay. I've been to the Army's SHARP course and was our SHARP rep for a long time. Be careful when seeing articles with big percentages and scary numbers but I bet someone got a publication out of that data. That 20K number came from a self-report survey but actually it's probably pretty accurate and would put sexual assault among the entire military at about a whopping .014. Bear in mind this could include a lot of different things, it's not like there's an epidemic of actual rape going on in the military. The difference in the change in numbers from year to year could just indicate that survey respondents are more comfortable reporting it and not that there's been some big dramatic change. The same holds true for the actual reported incidents of which there were only 6K. If we stick to the original 20K than that accounts for less than 5% of sexual assaults across the US. The military has been pushing SHARP pretty heavily for over ten years now and I bet we are much better off now than we were years ago. The majority of incidents are among young personnel with alcohol involved, not unlike what you see on college campuses.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    So you denigrate the army because of DrillSgt's slight? Doesn't compute.
    Seems to me the Article from Military Times is reporting facts. Don't blame me for management problems in the Army. Your first impression was that there was not a problem. I think the world disagrees.

Last edited:

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Seems to me the Article from Military Times is reporting facts. Don't blame me for management problems in the Army. Your first impression was that there was not a problem. I think the world disagrees.
    Hmmmm....thats putting words in my mouth. How did I blame you for management of the army, I just commented on the accuracy of the story you posted. And Im not really sure how you got that my contention that the INCREASE claimed in the article might in fact be purposely overstated or purely made up by taking only a superficial look at data equates to my claiming there is no problem.

Top Bottom