• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    France didn't put those words on the statue. An American wrote that poem to help fundraising efforts to build the base for it. It was later cast into a plaque that was mounted at the statue by America.

The song is from the 1949 Broadway musical MISS LIBERTY. Written By Irving Berlin; lyrics adapted from the poem THE NEW COLOSSUS by EMMA LAZARUS.

This isn't the best version of the song, but it is by the guy who wrote the melody, so I went with that. You have to admit, we dressed better in 1949. No "casual Fridays" which was the end of civility in the USA if I remember correctly.

I remember singing this in grade school and at a Boy Scout conference.

Yeah, I know, old fashioned. But it was old fashioned patriotism. Funny thing: we believed the words then.

I still do.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

The song is from the 1949 Broadway musical MISS LIBERTY. Written By Irving Berlin; lyrics adapted from the poem THE NEW COLOSSUS by EMMA LAZARUS.

This isn't the best version of the song, but it is by the guy who wrote the melody, so I went with that. You have to admit, we dressed better in 1949. No "casual Fridays" which was the end of civility in the USA if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I know, old fashioned. But it was old fashioned patriotism. Funny thing: we believed the words then.

I still do.

I still do as well, with limits. I agree with drillsgt we can't take in everyone that wants to come.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I still do as well, with limits. I agree with drillsgt we can't take in everyone that wants to come.

A country has to have borders and laws that protect it's citizens and it's sovereignty. Our economy can only handle so much. We can't solve all the world's problems by making everyone a US citizen, or even just allowing them to come live here. We have finite resources that these people are consuming, instead of the citizens of the country. The immigration that made this country great was done legally. We still have legal immigration. I agree that it needs to be revamped to be more effective, but at the same time, we need to tightly control our borders, not let anyone else in illegally and even round up and deport those we can. There are ways we can help other countries and peoples around the world. Letting them come here illegally is not a sane way to help them, mostly because it comes at the cost of destroying our country. Then who can we help?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I didn't read his comments that way. But, whaddiknow....
    I really didn't either. At least not in the whole. One sentence of it though "We need to be smarter now about our immigration policy like some of these other countries, we already have over 330M people here now, staggering debt, and out of control spending, we can't continue to take in anybody that shows up at the doorstep." I can agree with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I still do.

But we had a stead fast process even then.
    in this there can be and is no argument.
    these people fly right over the island and there is no real process.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I really didn't either. At least not in the whole. One sentence of it though "We need to be smarter now about our immigration policy like some of these other countries, we already have over 330M people here now, staggering debt, and out of control spending, we can't continue to take in anybody that shows up at the doorstep." I can agree with.
    I do as well. Congress refuses to deal with it effectively. I'm all for a moratorium on any immigration until we set Congress down in a locked building and not let them out until they have an immigration law that makes sense.

....there may be a lot of skeletons before we open that door again. :)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008