Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You never heard anyone complain about Real ID?

I DID!

I would be surprised if no one on this forum did
    I'm sorry. That was my bad. I meant to say that you never hear of anyone that claims that requiring ID to vote is oppressive (voter suppression) complaining about Real ID. I could be mistaken. I don't recall it though.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Does the constitution require a president to produce a birth certificate?

It's a yes or no question.

The requirements of the constitution itself have applied to every president. Under the constitution they should all be treated the same.
    You are making a spurious argument. Never before in our history has proper eligibility come into question.

If you have enough of the spirit of Vidkun Quisling in you to make this argument I certainly wouldn't want to rely on you for the wellbeing of the republic.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Again maybe I am unclear. You? No way! :stickpoke:

Do you believe the state should have the right to make you prove you are a proper citizen to exercise your 2A rights? Including carrying a firearm? Should be able to force you to have an LTCH? No, but we are talking about the laws as they exist, not as we wish them to be.

I would answer that question No. See above. :)

I not asking about being a law abiding citizen. I am asking if the laws regarding guns respect the constitutional meaning of the 2A. No, I do not.
    My responses above. :)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm sorry. That was my bad. I meant to say that you never hear of anyone that claims that requiring ID to vote is oppressive (voter suppression) complaining about Real ID. I could be mistaken. I don't recall it though.
    I believe the states should have discretion in how they determine their voter eligibility and voting laws.

I have no issue with a law requiring a DL or ID card IF the state provides it free of charge to those who demonstrate need to resolve any questions about vote suppression.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Does the constitution require a president to produce a birth certificate?

It's a yes or no question.

The requirements of the constitution itself have applied to every president. Under the constitution they should all be treated the same.
    Are you really too obtuse to grasp that never before has there been a candidate and/or elected president where there was a question? While the Constitution does not specifically address a BC the fact that there is a requirement implies a requirement for affirmative proof if there is a question.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Carter may be a nice guy who built a lot of houses for poor people, but a lot of the problems in the Middle East over the last 40 years can be traced back to the Shah of Iran being deposed and Jimmy’s general bungling there.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    To be fair, no other president had relatives claiming they were born in another country, or a literary agency stating he was born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii.

I believe that the reason he locked down his college records is because in them he claimed to be born in Kenya in order to take advantage of whatever monies and opportunities might be available based on that, which would likely be student loan fraud of some sort. I have no proof of this, but it fits with his literary agency's statement in his biography. I would be extremely surprised of they made that up themselves.
    This is spot on analysis. The most logical explanation...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You are making a spurious argument. Never before in our history has proper eligibility come into question.

If you have enough of the spirit of Vidkun Quisling in you to make this argument I certainly wouldn't want to rely on you for the wellbeing of the republic.
    But would damn well want me on the jury if you were accused of a capital crime.

I am starting to believe several aren't originalists when it comes to the constitution but just like the left is willing to chip away at the 2nd, some are willing to insert clauses into the constitution that don't exist.

The constitution either requires a birth certificate or it doesn't.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The constitution requires a presidential candidate to be a natural born citizen, so the burden of proof should have been on Obama, but the demand for proof should have come when he was running for the senate.

How surprising that the darling of the Cooke County Machine was not thoroughly vetted
    I give up.

WTAF people.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Are you really too obtuse to grasp that never before has there been a candidate and/or elected president where there was a question? While the Constitution does not specifically address a BC the fact that there is a requirement implies a requirement for affirmative proof if there is a question.
    When I go to vote....the people know me....should I be required to show id?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Is There not ONE among you that is willing to say the Constitution requires presentation of a Birth Certificate?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    To be fair I don't think there were such things as birth certificates when the constitution was written. Maybe that's something that gets corrected with an amendment.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I believe the states should have discretion in how they determine their voter eligibility and voting laws.

I have no issue with a law requiring a DL or ID card IF the state provides it free of charge to those who demonstrate need to resolve any questions about vote suppression.
    I think it's free, or maybe 5 bucks in Indiana. And I'm pretty sure there are "community outreach" organizations that will provide rides for those that have transportation issues. But even if it's "free" (ie. taxpayer funded), but they should still have to prove proof that they are who they say they are, right?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Can anyone tell me if Blade Runner 2049 is worth watching? And don't say yes because you can't stand me and want to see me suffer for 3 hours?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That's the crux of our disagreement then.

Unless the constitution requires disclosure of a birth certificate, then I believe the burden of proof falls to the accusers.

No one has yet to say the constitution requires it.

I believe there a reason no one wants to step out on that limb.

I believe that's because it was never a requirement for any previous president and certainly not all of them up to Obama.

I also don't think the rules change because suddenly citizenship got called into question.

I believe that because the Republican party tried to introduce legislation to make it a requirement.

I don't believe the accusers because their arguments against Obama disagreed with each other.

I believe that anyone on this forum when accused would want the case against them to be coherent.
    And I believe this is nonsense. It is in the constitution that a president meet the eligibility there. It applied to all presidents equally. It is the people's right to question and require proof of such eligibility and the document that provides such is a BC in our modern world. What a bunch of s**t that one would think otherwise. Since the constitution presents the eligibility requirements it is the burden of the candidate to provide proof.

BUT, here is another failure of our court system, I believe the constitution makes them the arbitrators when this is called into question. They should have taken this seriously but they abdicated their responsibilities to this issue, which is why this debate will never end, just like the election...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When I go to vote....the people know me....should I be required to show id?
    You are comparing Apple's and oranges. A voter in the last or next election cycle who is not known to the poll workers would NOT be a first time in history event. With Obama, it IS the first time in history it happened. Save the chicanery for someone who will buy it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is There not ONE among you that is willing to say the Constitution requires presentation of a Birth Certificate?
    It says they must be citizens. I don't know what level of proof was required back then, but we do have standards now. That standard is that you need a valid birth certificate.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    To be fair I don't think there were such things as birth certificates when the constitution was written. Maybe that's something that gets corrected with an amendment.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I think it's free, or maybe 5 bucks in Indiana. And I'm pretty sure there are "community outreach" organizations that will provide rides for those that have transportation issues. But even if it's "free" (ie. taxpayer funded), but they should still have to prove proof that they are who they say they are, right?
    Depends on the laws of the state.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom