dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Hey, Chip,

Since my question bears tangentially on your post, I hope you'll tolerate a small (for me) sidetrack

What do you make of (was it Fauci?) the statement that the viral prevalence in the the nasopharynx of Delta breakthrough infections is the same as that of unvaccinated people

Is this a valid comparison, indicating that the two viral loads are equivalent, or is it that as the common first entry point to the body for the infection it would harbor an elevated viral prevalence regardless of how effective the immune response is, because it would be cleared last
    I'm obviously not Chip but I will have a go at it ;)

I'm not an immunologist or virologist, but study vaccine effectiveness often when making decisions for patients or herds.

You shouldn't pick up a big viral load at the point of entry of a disease. You can theoretically get a very sensitive test like some PCR tests to pick up viral particles that entered from another infected individual. But they weren't finding high viral loads in vaccinated individuals very often, until the more recent mutations.

Previous studies were showing transmission of SARSCov2 from vaccinated individuals was 50-70% less than from unvaccinated individuals.

The current mutation (that everyone is calling Delta variant) is just so much more contagious that it likely manages to replicate itself rapidly before the immune system can shut it down. There is data that vaccinated people are not contagious quite as long as the unvaccinated. But for all practical purposes, vaccinated people are currently able to fully participate in spreading Covid.

This epidemiologist gives a little more detail in her blog. https://yourlocalepidemiologist.sub...N_OAWub7fBHVMH27HmL-1sQBNgtYbWWn5X6hBHNIG_Mzk

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Please tell this to the power hungry politicians who want to return to mask mandates and lockdowns purely over a rise in total number of cases.
    Yeah, the death rate has been remarkably low, and of course, primarily in older people with the usual preexisting health issues. It certainly does not justify the knee jerk reaction authorities are having.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Please tell this to the power hungry politicians who want to return to mask mandates and lockdowns purely over a rise in total number of cases.
    Sadly, I have no control over them. Even more sadly, what many of us have expressed concern about, regarding the use of fear to enact public policy that infringes upon individual liberty, continues to come true.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Hey, Chip,

Since my question bears tangentially on your post, I hope you'll tolerate a small (for me) sidetrack

What do you make of (was it Fauci?) the statement that the viral prevalence in the the nasopharynx of Delta breakthrough infections is the same as that of unvaccinated people

Is this a valid comparison, indicating that the two viral loads are equivalent, or is it that as the common first entry point to the body for the infection it would harbor an elevated viral prevalence regardless of how effective the immune response is, because it would be cleared last
    I pay no attention to anything Fauci says, so I'm out of the loop. But the only "study" I've seen on vaccine breakthrough infections is pretty much worthless - too small of a sample size to be of any value, and, IIRC, based on a vaccine not even in use under US EULAs. So, I'm not sure - and your question really gets well outside my area of expertise/understanding. Related question: does Fauci discuss the relative viral load of Delta infections as compared to prior variants? (And how does he do that, considering that, as far as I know, we have no analytical methods to differentiate among variants/isolate the Delta variant?)

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    It was " lockdown " to " essential / non-essential "to"flatten the curve" to " no mask to yes mask" to " vax will make you immune " to "the most vulnerable " to " half the population " to " herd immunity " to " no Vax idiots" to" no trust Trump vax" back to "no VAx idiots" to "reopen borders" to " illegals carry covid, plant them thru out the country " to" new variants " to " vaxed getting covid" to " if vaxed ,not as deadly" to " vaxed creating new variant" to " no vaxed are idiots" to " face masks" to " lockdown" to.................. 905.jpeg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I pay no attention to anything Fauci says, so I'm out of the loop. But the only "study" I've seen on vaccine breakthrough infections is pretty much worthless - too small of a sample size to be of any value, and, IIRC, based on a vaccine not even in use under US EULAs. So, I'm not sure - and your question really gets well outside my area of expertise/understanding. Related question: does Fauci discuss the relative viral load of Delta infections as compared to prior variants? (And how does he do that, considering that, as far as I know, we have no analytical methods to differentiate among variants/isolate the Delta variant?)
    That gets at what I was wondering; whether the viral load , as measured in the nasopharynx for any variant, would be the same and the datum was used in the most breathless, hype-inducing way possible. The only way I know to reliably determine variant identity is to isolate and sequence a viral sample, which isn't happening at the doctors office

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    That gets at what I was wondering; whether the viral load , as measured in the nasopharynx for any variant, would be the same and the datum was used in the most breathless, hype-inducing way possible. The only way I know to reliably determine variant identity is to isolate and sequence a viral sample, which isn't happening at the doctors office
    If it is a PCR (nasal swab) test it can be selected randomly and sent to a lab at CDC, state health department or a private lab to determine the variant. Then they extrapolate this percent of each variant to obtain an estimate of the variant's popularity.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It was " lockdown " to " essential / non-essential "to"flatten the curve" to " no mask to yes mask" to " vax will make you immune " to "the most vulnerable " to " half the population " to " herd immunity " to " no Vax idiots" to" no trust Trump vax" back to "no VAx idiots" to "reopen borders" to " illegals carry covid, plant them thru out the country " to" new variants " to " vaxed getting covid" to " if vaxed ,not as deadly" to " vaxed creating new variant" to " no vaxed are idiots" to " face masks" to " lockdown" to.................. View attachment 151801
    If people were told to get into boxcars and go to virus camp, 40% of the population would grab baseball bats, put on armbands, and help force their neighbors into the cars.

That's what I've learned the past year.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Only a small affair for "close" friends and family.
    Private jets and helicopters. (A jab about them being worried about the climate)

What was that line? Rules for ...

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    If people were told to get into boxcars and go to virus camp, 40% of the population would grab baseball bats, put on armbands, and help force their neighbors into the cars.

That's what I've learned the past year.
    And about 5% of the population would be volunteering to join the “Blue Guards”, who would provide them with select-fire weapons with which to provide “security” at the loading points.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Edit: Nevermind, my question was answered downthread from this.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Why would they need to shoot us?
    Aren't we all supposed to be dead by now?

Hahaha, right? More so an observation as to how far divided we have become as a nation. It's disheartening, nearly depressing, to see how far we have gone down the drain, and how quickly it is happening. I really try to be objective and use vast amounts of credible, verifiable information to gauge just how the Matrix is running, and every day it gets harder and harder.

As they say, "history doesn't repeat, but it rhymes."

"It's just a mask."
    "It's just six feet."
    "It's just two weeks."
    "It's just non-essential businesses."
    "It's just non-essential workers."
    "It's just a bar."
    "It's just a restaurant."
    "It's just to keep from overwhelming the hospitals."
    "It's just to make the cases go down."
    "It's just to flatten the curve."
    "It's just a few inmates."